• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why do Russians excel at wrestling while the rest of Europe basically suck at it?

He really does have underrated grappling. Khabib is just on a different level. I'm not a fan but Conor can fight. It's hard to stay mean when you're waking up on a yacht in silk pajamas...it's hard to act hungry. You either are, or you aren't.
This. His hunger was trying to chase money, that's why once he got it he lost his hunger. His hunger needs to be his legacy as a fighter to keep him hungry even with the money - like Pacquaio, Floyd, Canelo, etc.

It's definitely part of Russian culture on a larger level than just the Caucasus if you look at the republics of Tuva and Sakha their wrestling culture is much older than the Soviet Union. Also while places like Ossetia, Georgia, Dagestan, Azerbaijan and Chechnya excel greatly Wrestling is still very popular and competitive throughout more Northern, Western, Eastern and Central parts of Russia too. (Yes, yes, I know Azerbaijan and Georgia are their own countries)

The Ukraine and Bulgaria have always had strong wrestling as does Turkey. Germany and Belarus have solid wrestlers too. If you take Greco Roman into consideration Hungary and Sweden are also powerhouses and its pretty popular in Finland.

In general, I don't know the historical and cultural traditions of non former Soviet and Yugoslavian countries in the rest of Europe in regards to wrestling too well but in places in the Caucasus, throughout Central Asia, India, Iran, Turkey among other places, styles of Folk Wrestling is a very old and important part of their cultures that still gets practiced and honored to this day. Where other places in Europe more largely lost touch with those roots and primarily focus on non combat sports these days.

The Soviet education system was far superior to Americas. They start with kids very very young and train kids in what their natural aptitude lends them to doing well in. It's a very serious system. It's the same reason Indians are good at math. The culture makes them start early and take it seriously. Anyone could do this, they simple do.

It's just not the same as in America and Europe where kids play around for their whole youth and casually try this stuff in high school. Just two totally different worlds.

As dumb as this sounds, it's totally right. A lot of people in Europe see wrestling as super 'gay'.

Yeah the rest of Europe isn't down with gay shit

gentleman-usher-of-the-black-rod-david-leakey-left-walks-with-speaker-JDRJTW.jpg

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F547a62cc-f8b9-307c-96de-cb4009478e40.jpg

Papal-Swiss-Guard-Uniforms-04.jpg

I've heard both that Russia is European and that it is not. Starting to looking into this myself - Early research indicates much of the population lives on the western side of the Urals making it European. However some scholars argue for one super continent which would erase all doubt and that Russia would be Eurasian.

Fascinating.

Yeah the rest of Europe isn't down with gay shit

gentleman-usher-of-the-black-rod-david-leakey-left-walks-with-speaker-JDRJTW.jpg

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F547a62cc-f8b9-307c-96de-cb4009478e40.jpg
Odd choices to depict a massive group of people throughout time. Shall I post a quaker picture and an amish wedding to represent the US?

As dumb as this sounds, it's totally right. A lot of people in Europe see wrestling as super 'gay'.

Ironic to think Islamic regions and Russia which tend to be very homophobic or anti-gay embrace Wrestling but you're telling me places like Germany, Norway, Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, The Netherlands etc known for progressivism and openness to peoples sexual preferences don't wrestle because "they ain't about that gay shit"? It sounds like there's a pack of Middle School students on Sherdog right now.

Last edited:
Odd choices to depict a massive group of people throughout time. Shall I post a quaker picture and an amish wedding to represent the US?

fuck are you talking about? Europe is full of weirdos.

What do you have against the amish?

When you say wrestling here in south America everybody think you are talking about wwe

I've heard both that Russia is European and that it is not. Starting to looking into this myself - Early research indicates much of the population lives on the western side of the Urals making it European. However some scholars argue for one super continent which would erase all doubt and that Russia would be Eurasian.

Fascinating.

you're looking into where Russia is?

fuck me

Ironic to think Islamic regions and Russia which tend to very homophobic or anti-gay embrace Wrestling but you're telling me places like Germany, Norway, Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, The Netherlands etc known for progressivism and openness to peoples sexual preferences don't wrestle because "they ain't about that gay shit"? It sounds like there's a pack of Middle School students on Sherdog right now.
You realise I said it sounded dumb right? As in I think it's dumb, but unfortunately true?

Europe is the p4p gayest place in the world everyone knows that. Nice try. Russia #1.

you're looking into where Russia is?

fuck me
Well, growing up in America we were taught that the Russia/USSR are is Asia. Sad but true. And honestly I thought the Urals were right on the edge of all the border countries with Russia. So I guess if you want to be douchey about me learning, go right ahead.

Well, growing up in America we were taught that the Russia/USSR are is Asia. Sad but true. And honestly I thought the Urals were right on the edge of all the border countries with Russia. So I guess if you want to be douchey about me learning, go right ahead.

No I'm just having fun. Russia/USSR is Asia too, you're not wrong so no problems there. It's got a lot in Europe too. It's the biggest place in the world! Asia is really big and so is Russia. You can be surprised sometimes when you find pieces of them in places you didn't expect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back