Why do people think the character Jeff "The Dude" Lebowski is so cool?

Saw the movie back when I was going through my injecting pots phase. Literally all I remember about it was that they always drank White Russians

I think there is something alluring about being someone who does whatever you want. If you find a way to support yourself that doesn't involve working 40 hours a week and spending most of your money on bills, that seems to be a good way to go about it.

The Dude is just a very chilled out guy who escaped the trappings of society to do what he wants on his own terms. Some people think of guys like that and think "millionaire" but there are plenty of people who get by on the bare minimum and enjoy themselves.

I never got why everyone loves that movie so much. It's not bad but it was very forgettable imo.
Piss off. It's one of the greatest comedies ever made. It's the Coens brothers best movie.

It's because on some level, we all admire a person who doesn't give a shit about societal expectations just does what he wants to do.

Piss off. It's one of the greatest comedies ever made. It's the Coens brothers best movie.
Barton Fink, A Serious Man, Fargo & No Country For Old Men are all better for sure.

Barton Fink, A Serious Man, Fargo & No Country For Old Men are all better for sure.
source.gif

Everyone loves the Dude because everyone secretly dreams of dropping out of the rat race and just chilling like he does.

Also, his apartment is fine: it has a great carpet and it really ties the room together.

A rug....not a carpet you damned muppet. Haha.

@Drain Bamage
I think the movie resonated with me so much because it's such a funny situation that is super complex, but with a simple protagonist it's hilarious how the events unfold. I'll grant that on the first watch it seemed like a strange movie, but upon more viewings there's a ton of interconnecting things going on and it's really hilarious. Something of note is that all the "umms" and "errs" when Dude is speaking were all in the script...he didn't ad-lib anything (according to both the Cohen Brothers and Jeff Bridges).

The Dude abides...he just goes with the flow. He's a simple man who finds joy in the simple things in life and has no shame. I mean who the hell post-dates a check (with whales on them) for $.69? He's not even ashamed of himself for doing it and the look the checkout woman gives him is fucking hilarious. His buddy dies in a fight with some nihilists and they put his remains in a coffee can. There's just so many outrageous things which happen in the movie where the main character has little to no reaction...lots of people who are constantly on edge and frustrated with the world sometimes wish they could be that chill and not let things bother them.

A rug....not a carpet you damned muppet. Haha.

@Drain Bamage
I think the movie resonated with me so much because it's such a funny situation that is super complex, but with a simple protagonist it's hilarious how the events unfold. I'll grant that on the first watch it seemed like a strange movie, but upon more viewings there's a ton of interconnecting things going on and it's really hilarious. Something of note is that all the "umms" and "errs" when Dude is speaking were all in the script...he didn't ad-lib anything (according to both the Cohen Brothers and Jeff Bridges).

The Dude abides...he just goes with the flow. He's a simple man who finds joy in the simple things in life and has no shame. I mean who the hell post-dates a check (with whales on them) for $.69? He's not even ashamed of himself for doing it and the look the checkout woman gives him is fucking hilarious. His buddy dies in a fight with some nihilists and they put his remains in a coffee can. There's just so many outrageous things which happen in the movie where the main character has little to no reaction...lots of people who are constantly on edge and frustrated with the world sometimes wish they could be that chill and not let things bother them.

Thats brilliant man, very cool take on it

Hes the perfect foil for these ab surd scenarios, very trrue

TS:
I don't like your jerkoff post...

mug-throw-big-lebowski.gif

No disrespect, just needed to use this...

Sam Elliot was his hype man in the movie, and what made it cool was that the Dude was just as much as a Zero Fucks Given Alpha Male as "The Stranger" but in a completely different way.

Last edited:
He is his own man. Most people don't have that in life. They either resent those that have it, or aspire to be one of them.

They love him because he represented something different, the slacker anti-hero. For decades, especially the 80s and 90s, movies were always leading with the macho man protagonist who was going through the world kicking down doors. No one really likes people like that, and problems don’t actually get solved like that.

The dude just went with the flow and despised try-hard culture, and people found that take on life refreshing.

“What makes a man Lebowski? Is it being prepared to do the right thing... whatever the cost... Isn't that what makes a man?"

The Dude: "Mmmmm, sure. That and a pair of testicles."

Last edited:
They love him because he represented something different, the slacker anti-hero. For decades, especially the 80s and 90s, movies were always leading with the macho man protagonist who was always going through the world kicking down doors. No one really likes people like that, and problems don’t usually actually get solved like that.

The dude just went with the flow and despised try-hard culture, and people found that take on life refreshing.

“What makes a man Lebowski? Is it being prepared to do the right thing... whatever the cost... Isn't that what makes a man?"

The Dude: "Mmmmm, sure. That and a pair of testicles."

Well said and very good take.

Back