Why do people think if the UFC paid the fighter more they would go under?

Fighters were bitching about fighter pay when the UFC was 44 million dollars in debt and were looking to sell the company. Then, they couldn't raise fighter pay, in fact they should have cut fighter pay. Now they're pulling a profit and probably could increase fighter pay.

Personally, there are multiple factors why I'm way less interested in MMA than I was 4-5 years ago.

1) Dana is a prick and doesn't behave like a president of a multi-billion dollar company. Very tired of his bullshit and mount Everest size ego.
2) Fighter pay is a farce compared to other pro sports. These fighters are sacrificing their long term healths for 15K/15K. It's complete rubbish.
3) The incapability of creating multiple new stars to replace the golden age's washed up/retired legends(Wand, Chuck, Shogun, Randy, Nog, Rampage, Fedor, etc)
4) Increasing the number of cards and dilluting the fuck out of them. It took almost 16 years to reach UFC 100. Five years later and we're already at UFC 174.
5) Going after fans who Stream events. I understand they are losing revenue, but perhaps they should look in the Mirror and ask themselves if they're business plan is flawed instead of attacking some 20 year old who lives in his mom's basement just cause he streamed a few UFCs.

I'll stick to following MMA from afar and Watch 3 UFC cards a year at a Hooters with buddies like I do now. No more forking 60$ per watered down card, 10 times a year, when there's other entertaining sports on TV.

1) LMAO Who are you to tell someone how they should act or behave? Don't like the guy? Don't watch his product. Quit whining on the internet.
2) What the fighters get paid is none of your business. Do you think they give two shits what YOU get paid. Get a life.
3) Awwwww...they aren't producing what you classify as "stars". That's your reason for not being interested in UFC now? LOL
4) If you don't understand why they're adding more fights and so called "diluting their cards" then you're obviously confused on how to build stars. You contradicted yourself there, smart guy.
5) You justify people stealing their product? How would YOU like it if someone was stealing YOUR shit?

You're just a little crybaby. Seriously, go watch soccer, ballet, or whatever. You make no sense.

1) LMAO Who are you to tell someone how they should act or behave? Don't like the guy? Don't watch his product. Quit whining on the internet.
2) What the fighters get paid is none of your business. Do you think they give two shits what YOU get paid. Get a life.
3) Awwwww...they aren't producing what you classify as "stars". That's your reason for not being interested in UFC now? LOL
4) If you don't understand why they're adding more fights and so called "diluting their cards" then you're obviously confused on how to build stars. You contradicted yourself there, smart guy.
5) You justify people stealing their product? How would YOU like it if someone was stealing YOUR shit?

You're just a little crybaby. Seriously, go watch soccer, ballet, or whatever. You make no sense.

Sorry bro. I can't hear a word you're saying with Dana's wood in your mouth.

I think he invested about a hundred grand and the vertitas put up nine hundred.

hmmm don't think so. The fertitas poured in 10s of millions into the venture to bring the brand back to life. that 9% or so of ownership is basically given to DW as a president to run the company. Unless u think DW got millions in cash to invest from a boxercise/hotel staff background..

Dana walked out on a lucrative jazzercise career to risk his future with the UFC.

Sure, the UFC can pay more, but we don't know how much more. They already get significant raises every couple years. Average pay has raised tremendously over the last few years. But they can't just arbitrarily pay more based on someones personal feelings. It is a business. Businesses like Zuffa have a responsibility to maximize profit. If the UFC believes money is causing them to not be able to sign fighters they want to sign, they will raise prices. It isn't an issue. When they wanted Fedor, they offered a boat load of money.

They don't raise the pay because it doesn't mean the product will be better.

The way fighter's pay is raised is when a fighter becomes a commodity that some other org. is willing to spend money on to obtain because that fighter would then help to sell them more fights. Case in point: Gilbert Melendez using leverage from Bellator wanting his services to get the UFC to pay more.

I do agree that the fighters will get paid more because they have better business smarts ( in some cases).

The issue I see that people don't get with pro athletes is that many of the very successful pro athletes that don't end up in the poor house after their athletic careers did so because they used their celebrity obtained from what ever sport they did to become an advertising commodity. Essentially the ability to sell ones self.

Not too mention that some of them piss it away foolishly. Just because these guys get a pay raise doesn't mean they won't piss that away as well.

Even in an established pro sport like basketball or football where a rookie gets paid 6 and sometimes 7 figures guys end up broke because of mismanagement.

Throwing a few extra bones at the low-level UFC fighters who don't draw PPV buys won't prevent any of them from going into the poor house in the future.

As far as having all these "watered down" cards and saturation: every time a fighter appears on TV and sells ad space on his board shorts is an opportunity to get sponsorship revenue. Bitching about that and then complaining that fighters don't get paid enough is a contradiction.

I sincerely hope these guys get paid more. However, it's going to happen due to demand not because of overly-emotional sophistry.

I got dubs last time I attempted to discuss this but the UFC has storylines and particular fighters that they wish to promote and through offering cash, bonuses and future beneficial treatment, and threatening to complicate and damage people's careers, maybe even things outside of their careers it's clear that some fights are fixed. They also bribe/threaten referees on certain fights, it's pretty blatant.

Back