Why do fighters (usually) try to check kicks?

And what's up with them trying to block punches? Genuinely curious.

If you have conditioned shins it does not hurt nearly as bad to check the kick, then take it right into your thigh.

because leg kicks are normally used to smash your thigh muscle, making it hurt to contract it for a kick, a term called "corking". if you check it, your knee and or shin is taking the hit, which doesn't get corked.

Urijah-Faber-leg-kicked-by-Aldo-1.jpg

This is why.

Normally fighters are taught (2) ways to deal with a low round kick.
1. lift the front knee, pointing the shin outward toward the incoming kick. A check. usually followed by a counter kick.
2. step slightly forward and turn the lead leg outward while keeping the toes on the ground. a jam. usually used along with a counter cross.

reason: kicks the the thigh hurt.

Does it hurt the attacker more? what is it

A proper leg kick tries to drive the attacker's conditioned shin into the opponent's thigh in a manner similar to an ax, striking the muscles and nerves that run down the outside or inside of the thigh. Obviously, the muscles and nerves are more sensitive than a conditioned bone, so the receiver attempts to block the strike, by checking the kick. Checking the kick is the lesser of the two evils by far.

:icon_chee

Does it hurt the attacker more? what is it

You cannot fight as effectively if you can't use good footwork. You can't use good footwork if your leg is deemed unusuable because you've allowed several leg kicks to get through.

Additionally, you've only got so many options when dealing with leg kicks. The most efficient method is to intercept (teep). Then evade and counter, then check it.

Another thing to note is that when you check a kick--you check with the upper shin/knee. Checking on the mid/lower shin will hurt you more relative to checking with the knee/upper shin.

it hurts them as much as it hurts you, where as if they kick you in the thigh, just you get hurt.

lol I remember the first time checking a kick in muay thai class with my friend. We both we're grabbing our shins like lil girls. That !@#$ HURTS!! For the kicker and the checker!!

You cannot fight as effectively if you can't use good footwork. You can't use good footwork if your leg is deemed unusuable because you've allowed several leg kicks to get through.

Additionally, you've only got so many options when dealing with leg kicks. The most efficient method is to intercept (teep). Then evade and counter, then check it.

Another thing to note is that when you check a kick--you check with the upper shin/knee. Checking on the mid/lower shin will hurt you more relative to checking with the knee/upper shin.

Correct and good advice....teeps are good but if he is fast then leg checks work just fine

lol I remember the first time checking a kick in muay thai class with my friend. We both we're grabbing our shins like lil girls. That !@#$ HURTS!! For the kicker and the checker!!

Beginners shouldn't be throwing or checking kicks without shinguards...

To answer the question TS, it's quite obvious. You're supplanting a weaker surface (the meat of your thigh) with a stronger surface (your shin/ knee). As someone else said, you can also intercept with a kick of your own, or you can plant your leg and deliver a counter.

Some people encourage not checking the first few kicks, as checking kicks does hurt and does wear on you. Ideally you put yourself into a situation where you're the one doing the kicking, or at least not getting kicked.

I couldn't walk the day after my first MT class.

At the last K-1 event, I saw a dude named "Fire" get taken down pretty much entirely by leg kicks. His opponent (a korean guy IIRC, I forget the name) kept chopping down his leg with these brutal kicks. Before long the guy had trouble standing, let alone walking and fighting. And that's why you check a kick.

I've hurt people by checking their kick. It's feels great since it's guilt free, I was just defending!

It's like putting your hand in front of your face when someone tries to slash you. It's still going to hurt like shit but a lot less.

Back