Why do fighters (usually) try to check kicks?

Thanks. I seem to be too dumb to embed anything on this forum.

Some people encourage not checking the first few kicks, as checking kicks does hurt and does wear on you. Ideally you put yourself into a situation where you're the one doing the kicking, or at least not getting kicked.

Agreed but if you get it right and check with the top of your shin where it's thickest it will hurt the kicker more than the checker as they will impact lower down the shin where there are more nerves and the shin is thinner.

Checking will often discourage the attacker from even throwing kicks if you get it right because it hurts! Personally I'd rather just get out the way completely! :icon_lol:

thats what your heavy bag rounds are for. at least in my gym the guys NEVER kick (or hit for that matter) the heavy bag hard enough to develop decent shin conditioning. I thank God daily that I found someone from Laos/Thailand to get me started in MT

Agreed but if you get it right and check with the top of your shin where it's thickest it will hurt the kicker more than the checker as they will impact lower down the shin where there are more nerves and the shin is thinner.

Checking will often discourage the attacker from even throwing kicks if you get it right because it hurts! Personally I'd rather just get out the way completely!

Very true. That's the danger that comes with throwing kicks with absolutely no setup/ timing, it can actually be very dangerous for you. However, most of the time you won't be able to just straight dodge a kick, so that's where checking, catching, & jamming come into play.

It hurts you a LOT less than getting kicked in the thigh, and it hurts your opponent MORE than it hurts you if you do it right

Thick part of your bone against a thin part of his bone... Would you rather eat it with your muscles or the side of your knee?

Because if you do it right you can break their tibia and fibula :icon_twis

The kicker gets hurt more and you stop his offense
A kick to the thigh will hurt ALOT

if you check the kicks you stop it from hitting a neurve bundle on your leg.

Checking a kick is the simplest of the defenses against a leg kick to use. Most MMA just don't want to/ have time to/ bother to learn any of the others.

getting hit in the thigh damages you a hell of alot more than getting hit in the shin. Try it sometime. Just one or two good kicks to the thigh can really destroy your mobility

Why do you slip a punch? Why do you sprawl a shot?

I don't mean to be a dick. And I'm not a beast stand-up fighter by any means, but it should be common sense that if you don't want to get hurt, you should defend yourself.

I laughed when I read this thread...

I was watching a UFC card at a friend of a friends house and the guy said that leg kicks are pointless...

The person who said this and TS have obviously never taken a leg kick and tried to walk...

And what's up with them trying to block punches? Genuinely curious.

I know.

Why do they try to roll out of heel hooks? I dont understand:confused:

Last edited:
Checking a kick is the simplest of the defenses against a leg kick to use. Most MMA just don't want to/ have time to/ bother to learn any of the others.
Most MMA guys dont even check leg kicks. Most MMA guys just eat them.

Most MMA guys dont even check leg kicks. Most MMA guys just eat them.

Exactly. Checking a kick looks simple but personally speaking coming from a Boxing background to Muay Thai it's harder than it looks for it to become an instinctive reaction.

I would much rarther go shin to shin, bone to bone than get the meat and muscle of my quads booted in. Once you get kicked a few times in the legs you will understand. It only takes a handfull of leg kicks to cripple someone :icon_chee

Back