Media Why do European crowds at UFC events always bring the passion compared to American crowds?

One thing that's always struck me as a bit off (having been raised in the UK's sports culture) is the idea of teams moving cities in the US. That's like sacrilege here LOL, imagine Tottenham Hotspur becoming Bradford Hotspur or something

tbf it did happen once when Wimbledon became MK Dons.

Oh and the UFC also tends to stack the cards with Euro fighters and mostly from the country the event is in, plus often with favorable match making, so that makes it easy to really get into the home team support mentality.

US cards they try to have a few fighters from the city they are in, on the card, which is the same concept but just on a smaller scale and with generally less spots on the card. So it doesn't have the same effect.

Oh and the UFC also tends to stack the cards with Euro fighters and mostly from the vountry the even is in, plus often with favorable match making, so thay makes it easy to really get into the home team support mentality.

US cards they try to have a few fighters from the city they are in, on the card, which is the same concept but just on a smaller scale and with generally less spots on the card. So it doesn't have the same effect.
And as I mentioned before, a lot of the cards, especially back in the day, take place in Vegas which is a transplant city.

And as I mentioned before, a lot of the cards, especially back in the day, take place in Vegas which is a transplant city.

Yup and even worse if it's at the Apex lol crowd support is at an all time low in that place obviously.

Last edited:
No idea why really but those England cards are fucking awesome because of the crowd.

Like, I remember one where it was Molly and Paddy fighting back to back. Felt like it was the biggest event ever lol.
BJMLuZ9.jpeg

Sports culture in general and the inffluence of football (soccer) in particular.

Wait for Topuria fighting in Bernabéu

Because Europe has more differing national cultures, and international sports leagues. So Euro crowds are more conditioned to support their countrymen in sports, creating more of a sense of unity in that crowd. This sense of unity makes it easier to have the whole crowd cooperate and be guided in things like chants and waves and stuff.

That same sense of unity also gets abused by politicians to start wars, BTW.

So you you should never blindly follow just because of nationality.

I've lived all over the place (N America, E/W Europe, Middle East), so I've seen firsthand how backward and potentially toxic blind nationalism (yes, in sports as well) is. Not a fan. To me it's just the crowd flexing their cumulative low iq! ;)

Favorite fans by far are the Japanese, btw.

Because the tribalism in Europe/UK is massive.

Also the alchohol binging helps. Fans turn up hours before matches and congregate in pubs/bars where they already are singing songs/causing havoc.

The closest thing we have to that in the US is tailgating and its not even close to the same.

UFC events are rarer in Europe (the USA has a UFC card every week or so) + soccer culture.

Back