• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why do Central Asian Countries produce such great Wrestlers and Fighters

Yea because your fickle mind knows a lot. You’re just a xenophobe leech who couldn’t make it so went and worked with people you dislike. Real success * applause*
Haha bro what the fuck. Saying Rogan is a simple minded person's idea of an expert makes me xenophobic and a leach?

And what did I say that implies I don't like my coworkers lol. I never even mentioned jobs.

Long histories of wrestling and combat sambo in those countries + MMA now being hugely popular are definitely the main reasons.

Them also being true believers in Islam means they live extremely disciplined lives so it's dumb to pretend that has nothing to do with it.
What makes a devout Muslim more disciplined than a devout Christian or Buddhist?

Because their culture is still sane.

Well, a man is a man, a woman is a woman.

not like here where a man is a woman who identifies as a man on thursdays and a woman is a man who tucks his junk an likes to change in ladies rooms.

Long histories of wrestling and combat sambo in those countries + MMA now being hugely popular are definitely the main reasons.

Them also being true believers in Islam means they live extremely disciplined lives so it's dumb to pretend that has nothing to do with it.
There were Pew Research Center article from 10 years ago and it called Muslims from ex-USSR countries one of the least religious on the planet. Like, I don’t remember exact % but it said that good percent of Muslims said that religion/Islam doesn’t play a big role in their life, doesn’t fast during Ramadan, doesn’t pay some Islamic tax.

Muslims are just as likely to be lazy and undisciplined. Have you seen pictures of people in the Middle-East? Most of them are fat and out of shape. Arabs are notoriously lazy, in general. They also have extremely high unemployment. Muslims in other countries aren't a bunch of ascetic warriors monks either.

Does being a Christian make you more disciplined? Explain all of the lazy fat ass Christians that you see.

What makes a devout Muslim more disciplined than a devout Christian or Buddhist?

There were Pew Research Center article from 10 years ago and it called Muslims from ex-USSR countries one of the least religious on the planet. Like, I don’t remember exact % but it said that good percent of Muslims said that religion/Islam doesn’t play a big role in their life, doesn’t fast during Ramadan, doesn’t pay some Islamic tax.
This is why I tried to make a distinction with the "true believers" part. That's probably the wrong term but whatever you call it when they actually follow the teachings and live the lifestyle is what I mean.

Someone like Makhachev probably really prays five times a day, doesn't drink, doesn't eat to excess, has a simple lifestyle, and does whatever else Muslims are supposed to do. I imagine most fighters from these regions are like that.

Someone like Jon Jones, while also religious, doesn't appear quite as disciplined about it to say the least.

That must be why there are so many amazing fighters from Pakistan and Malaysia.
play cricet and pakistanis will beat you squash and malaisan will beat you wresle and fight and chechens and khazaks will beat you

The exceptional number of skilled wrestlers and MMA fighters emerging from regions like Dagestan, Chechnya, and Kazakhstan can be attributed to several factors:

1. Cultural Emphasis on Wrestling and Combat Sports: In these regions, wrestling and other combat sports are deeply ingrained in the culture. From a young age, children are often introduced to wrestling, which is not just a sport but a part of their heritage and tradition.
  2. Tough Living Conditions and Rugged Terrain: The challenging living conditions and rugged terrain of these areas, especially in the mountainous regions, contribute to building physical and mental toughness. These environments naturally foster endurance, strength, and resilience, qualities essential for success in combat sports.
  3. History of Conflict and Survival: Historically, these regions have experienced conflicts and hardships. Such a background can instill a fighter's mentality and a strong will to survive and succeed, which translates well into the discipline and resilience required in wrestling and MMA.
  4. Role Models and Success Stories: The success of athletes from these regions on the world stage inspires younger generations to take up the sport. Figures like Khabib Nurmagomedov have become role models, showcasing the possibilities of success through dedication and hard work in wrestling and MMA.
  5. Training Ethic and Community Support: There's a strong community support system and a culture of rigorous training that drives athletes. The coaching methods, training ethic, and the overall system of nurturing talent in these regions are highly effective in producing world-class athletes.
  6. Government and Institutional Support: In some cases, government policies and institutional support also play a significant role in promoting and supporting wrestling and combat sports, providing the necessary resources and platforms for athletes to train and compete at high levels.
These factors collectively contribute to the high level of accomplishment seen in wrestlers and MMA fighters from Dagestan, Chechnya, and Kazakhstan. The combination of cultural significance, challenging environments, historical contexts, inspirational success stories, strong training ethics, and support systems creates an ideal breeding ground for producing some of the world's best combat athletes.

Here are some accomplished wrestlers from Dagestan, Chechnya, and Kazakhstan who have been successful in the Olympics and MMA:

1. Mahamedkhabib Kadzimahamedau: He is a Russian naturalized Belarusian freestyle wrestler and professional mixed martial artist competing in Bellator MMA. He won a silver medal at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics in the men's 74 kg category and was the 2020 European Champion at 79 kg and the 2017 Russian National Champion at 70 kg.
  2. Khabib Nurmagomedov: A Dagestani-born UFC lightweight champion, Khabib retired undefeated. He is a notable figure in MMA and is known for his dominance in the sport.
  3. Islam Makhachev: Also from Dagestan, Makhachev is the current UFC lightweight champion, following in the footsteps of his training partner, Khabib Nurmagomedov.
  4. Umar Nurmagomedov: Umar, a cousin of Khabib, is an undefeated fighter in the UFC's bantamweight division.
  5. Usman Nurmagomedov: Another cousin of Khabib, Usman is the current Bellator lightweight champion.
  6. Magomed Ankalaev: Hailing from Dagestan, Ankalaev fought for the UFC light heavyweight championship in 2022.
  7. Abubakar Nurmagomedov: Also a cousin of Khabib from Dagestan, Abubakar is a professional MMA fighter with a notable record.
  8. Buvaisar Saitiev and Abdulrashid Sadulaev: These Dagestani wrestlers are considered among the greatest freestyle wrestlers of all time. Saitiev is a three-time Olympic champion, and Sadulaev won gold at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics.
  9. Charalambos Cholidis: A Greek wrestler born in Kazakhstan, Cholidis competed in four Olympic Games (1976, 1980, 1984, 1988) and was named the Greek Male Athlete of the Year in 1978, 1983, and 1988.
  10. Shamil Serikov: A Soviet wrestler from Kazakhstan, Serikov was an Olympic Champion in Greco-Roman wrestling at the 1980 Summer Olympics.
  11. Yeldos Smetov: A Kazakh judoka, Smetov won a silver medal at the 2016 Olympics and a bronze medal at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics in the under 60 kg weight division.
  12. Aidyn Smagulov: A Kyrgyz and Kazakh judoka, Smagulov won a bronze medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics in the men's extra lightweight category.
  13. Askhat Zhitkeyev: A Kazakh judoka, Zhitkeyev won a silver medal at the 2008 Olympics in the ‍–‍100 kg division.
These athletes have demonstrated remarkable skill and achievement in wrestling and mixed martial arts, making significant contributions to the sports on an international level

Why does central asia produce such top tier wrestlers and fighters, like Dagistan Chechnya and Khazikstan

Does the higher altitude give a endurance advantage, especially with weight cutting from a higher to lower weight and recovering faster endurance wise?
Daghestan and Chechnya are not in central Asia.
Kazakhstan is not a high altitude country.

I read somewhere that it had to do with Alexander the Great and the proliferation of Hellenic culture (in this case wrestling) and values.
I think this is completely wrong. There is no lineage between ancien Greek stuff and modern wrestling. Then, I think that Caucasus wrestling is a pure Soviet thing. That they excel at it has nothing to do with anything ancient. Caucasians are a warrior nation but to my knowledge they were mostly raiders on horseback.

Central Asia is different though. They do have indigenous wrestling but this is visible in judo. I do think they have an ancestral affinity for anything wrestling/judo though.

Someone like Makhachev probably really prays five times a day, doesn't drink, doesn't eat to excess, has a simple lifestyle, and does whatever else Muslims are supposed to do. I imagine most fighters from these regions are like that.
You mean most fighters from the region whose benefactors are hardly true believers and known for excess? I don't really follow this train of logic. There are many religions that demand sacrafice and discpline in various ways, some less stringent, some more stringent, than whatever a "true believers" idea of Islam is.

I'll note that even Khabib, who was no doubt spectactularly dedicated in training, was horrific at making weight, which comes down to discipline and planning. Ditto with Islam, who has had close shaves on the scale. Does the discipline only apply to training camp but not the weight cut?

Its moreso ex-Soviet Muslim states(which is a mix of west/central asia, iranic and turkic ppl) that are a hotbed for fighting talent, than specifically central asia.

First of all Kazakhstan is part of Central Asia. Secondly they are a war torn region, the Persians, Turks, Mongols and Soviets have torn through Central Asia over the last millennia or so. Beyond this, Soviet influence is huge on combat sports similar to what it did to Cuba in Judo, Wrestling and Boxing. Wrestling is a very popular sport in Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan, as is boxing, Judo, Tae Kwon Do and even Sambo is quite popular relative to the rest of the world. It's not high altitude or special bloodlines, it's really simple. Plus, there aren't major athletic outlets for people in Central Asia to take over MMA, at least not in the same way like there is in the West with Soccer, Rugby, US Football, Basketball, Hockey, Baseball, Tennis etc. When the monthly average income in Kazakhstan is 700 USD, those 15k/15k contracts look fucking amazing.

Plus in a lot of these regions, fight culture is just strong and more popular. For instance people don't know but Khabib did Pankration and Hand to hand combat tournaments growing up along with wrestling and Sambo before focusing souly on MMA. Similarly Islam started in Tae Kwon Do, then Sanda, then Wrestling and then Sambo all between the ages of like 8 and 14 before starting to train with Abdulmanap full time. A lot of these Central Asians have similar backgrounds, Karate, hand to hand combat, Sambo, Unifight, amateur MMA tournaments, boxing, Tae Kwon Do, Judo etc etc. It's just more popular and taken more seriously and at younger ages in general.
this guy gallops

They've produced one great fighter and arguably 2 if you count Islam. Jon Jones personally has more UFC title defenses than the nations of Chechnia and Dagestan combined.

There are several very good fighters from that region and that's because wrestling and boxing are both popular sports there and they have access to pretty good coaching and training facilities. There is a point at which most will have to leave the region for better training partners and coaching.

I think this is completely wrong. There is no lineage between ancien Greek stuff and modern wrestling. Then, I think that Caucasus wrestling is a pure Soviet thing. That they excel at it has nothing to do with anything ancient. Caucasians are a warrior nation but to my knowledge they were mostly raiders on horseback.

Central Asia is different though. They do have indigenous wrestling but this is visible in judo. I do think they have an ancestral affinity for anything wrestling/judo though.
I considered the Russian/Soviet connection as well.
That said, “completely wrong” seems to be an overstatement.
And we are specially talking Central Asia: You know, all “the stans,” 1/2 of which I believe are in areas that were conquered by the Macedonians.

That said, it was something that I read a while ago; so not a hill I’m willing to die on.

This is why I tried to make a distinction with the "true believers" part. That's probably the wrong term but whatever you call it when they actually follow the teachings and live the lifestyle is what I mean.

Someone like Jon Jones, while also religious, doesn't appear quite as disciplined about it to say the least.
That's also what a professional MMA fighter should be doing my man. I'm sure GSP, Stipe, Poirier, Volk, Charles Oliveira, DDP etc. aren't out getting fucked up while training and pounding cake and burgers. You don't have to be a Muslim to act like a pro athlete. And most Muslims don't behave like pro athletes. It's almost like being a hardworking/smart pro MMA fighter who takes his career seriously is what prompts you to make good decisions.

You mean most fighters from the region whose benefactors are hardly true believers and known for excess? I don't really follow this train of logic. There are many religions that demand sacrafice and discpline in various ways, some less stringent, some more stringent, than whatever a "true believers" idea of Islam is.

I'll note that even Khabib, who was no doubt spectactularly dedicated in training, was horrific at making weight, which comes down to discipline and planning. Ditto with Islam, who has had close shaves on the scale. Does the discipline only apply to training camp but not the weight cut?
The fuck are you even going on about? 😆

You know very well these fighters eat, sleep, pray, train and go home to their goats. That is their lifestyle. You're not going to hear about one of them going on a coke and hookers binge anytime soon.

Even the weight cutting thing you talk about is some form of extreme dedication. They are draining themselves to cut lower than they should.

Because theyre putting every boy they have through the wrestling program.. If out of a million people theres 1000 that share an aptitude for wrestling theyll find them... Then out of those 1000 they'll filter out the Olympic grade wrestlers.
Imagine how many in the us have the physical attributes to wrestle in usa but never do

Back