why do bad cg effects in movies always look faded?

Smelldog

Sniffing
Banned
Reaction score
I've always wondered this. If the producers just said make all the cgi effects darker, wouldn't it all look better?

For example cg buildings in background, or cg armies from a distance like orc armies in lotr etc.

They always look faded or grey where colours should be black.

I've always wondered this. If the producers just said make all the cgi effects darker, wouldn't it all look better?

For example cg buildings in background, or cg armies from a distance like orc armies in lotr etc.

They always look faded or grey where colours should be black.

Well, much like berries, the blacker the sweeter.

In my 'hood, "faded"means drunk.

Why cgi boats planes armies always look washed out and colorless?

I don't know what you're talking about.

but I'm color blind so why would I?

just kidding, I'm not color blind. But I still have no idea what you're referring to; I've never noticed anything before

C'mon bruhs up ur game.

What's with faded cgi?

Provide some stills or examples or something, man.

I dislike the majority of CGI and I'm really not sure what you mean by fading and desaturation being the main problem.

Provide some stills or examples or something, man.

I dislike the majority of CGI and I'm really not sure what you mean by fading and desaturation being the main problem.
A brown great white:

sharknado-2-wide-pic.jpg

Well, Sharknado isn't really the gold standard for Hollywood.
Did u not read the title? It says bad effects.

Troy: ships that are further away are magically brown and colorless

troy_cabo_san_lucas.jpg

Did u not read the title? It says bad effects.

Troy: ships that are further away are magically brown and colorless

troy_cabo_san_lucas.jpg

Are you joking now?

That's a natural effect of the earth's atmosphere. It would be bad effects if the distant ships were as crisp and colorful as the close ones.

This is a photograph of mountains, some closer than others:

Mary-Ann-Photo-1.jpg

The hobbit: armies in left of background would look better if not all sepia colored

OpZ8mZy.jpg

The hobbit: armies in left of background would look better if not all sepia colored

OpZ8mZy.jpg

Armies in the left of the background would detract from Gandalf as the subject of the foreground if they had the same colors.

In my opinion, anyway.

Meanwhile, the subject of the frame, the dwarf riding the boar thing, seems to fit the description of CGI that you like (deep blacks) and he should, as the subject your eyes are meant to be drawn toward.

Also, with this shot, it seems that Peter Jackson was put to a choice with how to separate the subjects of the frame from the surroundings. Seems like he wanted to keep the ominous mountains and clouds in focus for the viewer to add to things, so he couldn't put the rest of the army (closer than the mountains) out of focus. So it seems like he decided to distinguish between subjects and background by way of colors and contrast. It works well enough for me, but art is subjective.

Last edited:
If I am understanding your point of view, you seem to believe that the amount of haze in the atmosphere is overdone in CGI. That's a fair stance to take, but I would need to see a given shot in the context of the scene to give my thoughts on that particular example.

I think I actually know what TS is talking about

:eek:

If I am understanding your point of view, you seem to believe that the amount of haze in the atmosphere is overdone in CGI. That's a fair stance to take, but I would need to see a given shot in the context of the scene to give my thoughts on that particular example.
Yeah maybe haze is a better term?

Except in cheaper movies the vfx for characters in the foreground is the same. Next time you watch a movie maybe take note, you might know what I mean.

Cheers

Back