Why do accomplished Runners do so poorly at MMA cardio?

@-guerilla- , have you ever use a prowler before? And if so, where would you rank as the hardest exercise in comparison to hill sprints or air dyne bicycle?

O yeah?

Doesnt sound like it

It sounds like Floyd and Deontay Wilder are smart enough to BOX for cardio not run for cardio and breaking with this long-held tradition would mean a slap in the face for all those old school trainers the boxing community deifys so I would expect a fair amount of chicanery

Did you know that Pro Combat athletes don't always tell the truth about their training regimen?

{<jordan}

Yeah, maybe Wilder's not the best example you could have chosen.

Last edited:
Because the accomplished runners don’t have other accomplished runners training them for the MMA cardio.

Both wrestling and runner involve different muscle strength and technique. Comparing both is not justifiable at all.

Different energy pathway. Sure there'll be some carry over but its an inefficient means of upping fight conditioning. Its one of the reasons wrestlers have such great gas tanks in the cage. They have have fantastic power-endurance. Their competitive experience in a match, ie, explode-->static engagement--> reset-->explode-->static engagement-->reset, is almost perfect for MMA. Its like Koscheck said back in 2006ish "I'm a wrestler....I don't get tired...".

Genius...any polymeric grappling related movements are by far the best option for partnerless MMA training if you lack good striking bags

I get waist deep in the ocean and high knee sprint/penetration step and often do the sit out/hip heist/sprawl drill in water a bit more shallow when I go body boarding (if the waves flatten)

Otherwise body boarding is AQESOME blast cardio and involves a lots of breath hold training (invaluable for MMA)

Although you should NEVER hold your breath when exerting yourself it will happen from time to time

Fight position polymetrics are invaluable for wharm ups...

I developed a 5 min warm up for my wrestlers that was EXTREMELY SIMPLE and allowed 1hr 55min of WRESTLING for CARDIO!

To develop a baseline aerobic threshold say, at the beginning of a training program/fight camp running would be very useful because it's a controllable exercise method. Wear a heart rate monitor and you will be able to maintain a specific training zone and perfectly target your aerobic capacity at a steady state. Wrestling has too many variables to be able to use as a benchmark for baseline cardiovascular training. Intensity can fluctuate, different positions would require different levels of effort.. Its too complicated and no two sessions would be the same.
I like the idea of sport specific training and would tend to lean towards simply more of the certain activity you're training more and more as you peak for your event but while cruising or starting a training camp especially, running is a fairly easy way to maintain and jumpstart the cardiovascular system. Whether it is important to do daily while doing a program is another question but it does have its place in almost every sport.

I thought this abortion of a discussion was locked a few weeks ago?

Because there are so much more variables involved in fighting. Just breathing wrong will gas you out in seconds. Bad technique will too. Running is more just pure numbers.

When I kickboxed I never ran, all my cardio was from bodyweight exercises, pad and bag work. When I decided to try running for the first time I found I had endless endurance already and stopped after a few miles out of boredom.

I always had great cardio and outworked my opponents.

Now I don't kickbox anymore, I play football and I use HIIT to train my cardio because it mimics the demands put upon me in a game.

I agree with you about running, I think it's a waste of time that you could be putting into more sport specific drills that also hit your cardio mimicking the demands of your competition.

I'm also a heavyweight, maybe that makes it more pronounced although I can't think of why that would be.

You ran a few miles and found you had endless cardio so u stopped?

Isn't that a bit like saying you sparred in boxing and after a few rounds decided you mastered it?

Sounds a bit daft doesn't it.

What pace were you running? I bet it was pretty slow.

Go run 5k at a "nice" pace where you feel its easy, like you said.

Then next day go hard.

Let me know how easy the latter is. I'll be intrigued to hear how easy it is.

You ran a few miles and found you had endless cardio so u stopped?

Isn't that a bit like saying you sparred in boxing and after a few rounds decided you mastered it?

Sounds a bit daft doesn't it.

What pace were you running? I bet it was pretty slow.

Go run 5k at a "nice" pace where you feel its easy, like you said.

Then next day go hard.

Let me know how easy the latter is. I'll be intrigued to hear how easy it is.

This was when I trained kickboxing 5 days a week, sometimes twice a day. I currently am training for the 2021 American football season so I'm doing hardly any cardio and a shit ton of hypertrophy, I'm 25kg heavier, I couldn't effortlessly run 200m ATM, so no.

I had a good understanding of my cardio and what was difficult, I felt zero reduction in pace and I was running, not jogging. What it told me was that the work I had been doing that was sports specific was achieving already what steady state running would achieve.

If in your analogy I was boxing for cardio and I found the sport specific training I was already employing achieved sufficient cardio so as to make the boxing a waste of time yeah, it would be like that.

Point is there's more than one way to move your body to cause adaption, I am a proponent of using movements that are more sport specific if possible. Being a heavyweight but being able to smash out 50 kicks exploding off the floor is more valuable to a kickboxer than running however many metres you could run in the same time.

@-guerilla- , have you ever use a prowler before? And if so, where would you rank as the hardest exercise in comparison to hill sprints or air dyne bicycle?

Depends how you load the prowler, how hard you push and how far imo. Hands down the hardest I've ever done is curved treadmill sled pushing max effort for 12 seconds X 3 with 30 sec breaks.

This was when I trained kickboxing 5 days a week, sometimes twice a day. I currently am training for the 2021 American football season so I'm doing hardly any cardio and a shit ton of hypertrophy, I'm 25kg heavier, I couldn't effortlessly run 200m ATM, so no.

I had a good understanding of my cardio and what was difficult, I felt zero reduction in pace and I was running, not jogging. What it told me was that the work I had been doing that was sports specific was achieving already what steady state running would achieve.

If in your analogy I was boxing for cardio and I found the sport specific training I was already employing achieved sufficient cardio so as to make the boxing a waste of time yeah, it would be like that.

Point is there's more than one way to move your body to cause adaption, I am a proponent of using movements that are more sport specific if possible. Being a heavyweight but being able to smash out 50 kicks exploding off the floor is more valuable to a kickboxer than running however many metres you could run in the same time.

I agree with all that bud, my point was simply that whatever cardio based exercise you do, it's always possible to ramp it up a notch or two to push the gas tank to the limit.

Just curious, where would you rank it as the hardest exercise when you compare to hill sprint?

Tough one but I think prowler can absolutely obliterate your legs like none other. I try avoid both these days!!

Back