Why did Werdum leave UFC?

aorozco90

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I'm sure this is old news, but I wasn't a huge fan back then as I am now. I saw his fight with Dos Santos, and yea he got KTFO, but why leave? Joe Rogan and Goldberg were describing him as a contender. Was he cut? Just wondering because I'm a fan of him, and he's been looking great lately.

I'm sure this is old news, but I wasn't a huge fan back then as I am now. I saw his fight with Dos Santos, and yea he got KTFO, but why leave? Joe Rogan and Goldberg were describing him as a contender. Was he cut? Just wondering because I'm a fan of him, and he's been looking great lately.

They wanted to cut his pay after his loss to JDS, he didn't agree with that so they cut him.

They wanted to cut his pay after his loss to JDS, he didn't agree with that so they cut him.

This. After his loss to JDS the UFC offered him a contract substantially less then his previous one so he walked.

Short answer: to save money

The UFC terminated his contract so technically he was cut just like any other fighter. It is assumed that the UFC felt they were paying him too much and he wasn't worth the money. Back then, UFC was competing with Pride and Affliction so Werdum must've been given a pretty lucrative contract.

This. After his loss to JDS the UFC offered him a contract substantially less then his previous one so he walked.

That's not accurate. You make it sound like his contract expired which isn't the case. His contract was terminated.

That's not accurate. You make it sound like his contract expired which isn't the case. His contract was terminated.

My bad thought I recalled he walked during the negotiation for the new contract.

How could they pay him less if they were contractually obligated to pay him a certain amount?

Yes, it is accurate. From what I recall, his current contract was up and he was offered another that involved a pay cut. So he left.

To say he was cut implies he had no say in the decision. He MADE the decision to leave, he did not have to.

My bad thought I recalled he walked during the negotiation for the new contract.

How could they pay him less if they were contractually obligated to pay him a certain amount?

He did walk, you were correct. At least according to him.

To defeat Fedor.

FabricioWerdumFace125x125.jpg

It was expected that he was gonna fight for the belt. But he got screwed and the shot went to Brock.

Just imagine, if Randy worked out things with the UFC he could have faced Werdum and would have most likely suffered an L.

With some more luck Werdum would have been the UFC HW champ, but in a twist of events he got a fighter no one had ever heard, he showed up out of shape and got KTFO.

They royally skrewed him, he was supposed to get a title shot after beating Gonzaga and Vera but got passed over for Brock who was gifted a title shot.

He came out of shape against than unknown JDS, and got demolished. After which they basically used this as justification for lowering his pay, at which point he walked.

Overall he was treated very badly by the UFC.

He got destroyed by JDS so decided to go fight inferior competition in Fedor.

its been answered correctly already, but to repeat, he was cut after not accepting a pay cut.

Yes, it is accurate. From what I recall, his current contract was up and he was offered another that involved a pay cut. So he left.

To say he was cut implies he had no say in the decision. He MADE the decision to leave, he did not have to.

his contract at that time was not up.

Short answer: to save money

The UFC terminated his contract so technically he was cut just like any other fighter. It is assumed that the UFC felt they were paying him too much and he wasn't worth the money. Back then, UFC was competing with Pride and Affliction so Werdum must've been given a pretty lucrative contract.

Pride was already owned by Zuffa at that point. Affliction however was running and offering way more than they could handle.

In the long run financially it probably worked out for him, after his W over Fedor i'm assuming UFC signed him up on a pretty nice deal.

isnt it obvious he is not good enough to fight in the UFC, got cut and money had nothing to do with it.

Isnt it obvious that Frank mir, brock lesnar and couture have always been better fighters and werdum wouldnt have a chance in hell against them?

Back