Why did Werdum leave UFC?

He wanted Anderson money

silvamoney.gif

Hindsight is 20-20. I still can't understand the decision he made back then considering the poor HW division and him being one of the top guys.

There was never IMHO a real desire for the UFC to promote Werdum, I think he was brought in with the intension of playing off the "UFC vs Pride" fued for a couple of matches before being dropped having shown that "UFC > Pride".

His win over Gonzaga though was unexpected and when he beat Vera too the UFC were in a difficult position, the answer was IMHO the JDS fight. Put Werdum in a terrible risk/reward matchup agenst a dangerous up and comer amd if he'd wins his career isnt helped, if he loses it becomes much easier to cut him.

The idea that the Werdum/JDS fight was so important that it couldnt possible be canciled to make Werdum/Randy is laughable, that match didnt happen because the UFC wanted Brock to get first shot at an aged Couture coming off an 18 month layoff.

I think the JDS fight was simply put together because he was already a contender but Brock stepped over him. A fill-in fight like Fitch vs Wilson.

They royally skrewed him, he was supposed to get a title shot after beating Gonzaga and Vera but got passed over for Brock who was gifted a title shot.

He came out of shape against than unknown JDS, and got demolished. After which they basically used this as justification for lowering his pay, at which point he walked.

Overall he was treated very badly by the UFC.

/thread

I think the JDS fight was simply put together because he was already a contender but Brock stepped over him. A fill-in fight like Fitch vs Wilson.

That I do remember. Cigano was considered a sacrificial lamb for Werdum to beat while he waited for a title shot.

That I do remember. Cigano was considered a sacrificial lamb for Werdum to beat while he waited for a title shot.

Yeah, and JDS' pad work shifted the odds from crazy to reasonable (at least that's what Dana said on his vlog).

If his contract was terminated, where did the rumors of the 'pay cut' start? Because if he was offered a pay cut and refused it, he wasn't cut. He basically asked to be released from the contract and was.

If his contract was terminated, where did the rumors of the 'pay cut' start? Because if he was offered a pay cut and refused it, he wasn't cut. He basically asked to be released from the contract and was.

no, he did not ask to be released from the contract. He was told to take a paycut or be cut. He decided to he didnt want to take the pay cut and left. It wasnt him approaching the ufc asking to leave. Its really not that hard to understand

he put on a stinker against Arlovski and was fat against JDS who knocked him out. Pretty sure the UFC can cut you if you lose and I guess they tried to get a new contract with him after the loss.

UFC didn't want to pay him what he was making on his then current contract, I believe it as around 80K a fight, they wanted to renegotiate it lower and offered about half that amount, Werdum refused, the UFC released him.

He was cut, because he refused to accept a pay cut.

"When I first heard the rumors, I didn't know anything," Werdum told Tatame.com. "I had four more fights left with [the UFC] on my contract, which ran to 2010. But they demanded to renegotiate my existing contract by cutting my pay in half."
http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/13325/fabricio-werdum-confirms-release-by-ufc

Simple, cut.

He got tooled by the best heavyweight in the world.

Actually his loss to jds(who was not top10 at the werdum fight) allowed werdum to "tool" the best ranked hw at that time in fedor in strikeforce. Werdum had a pretty much guaranteed title shot in ufc if he was to beat jds, whom werdum didnt want to fight because he was not top10. Real talk.

UFC hires according to how many people come to see said fighter. Werdum was elite, but didn't have a lot of star power.
He leaves the UFC and people considered him irrelevant on here. Mocking Fedor for fighting him. Now he is back in the UFC and he is 'elite' again. You see, most mma fans can't separate ability from star power.

There was never IMHO a real desire for the UFC to promote Werdum, I think he was brought in with the intension of playing off the "UFC vs Pride" fued for a couple of matches before being dropped having shown that "UFC > Pride".

His win over Gonzaga though was unexpected and when he beat Vera too the UFC were in a difficult position, the answer was IMHO the JDS fight. Put Werdum in a terrible risk/reward matchup agenst a dangerous up and comer amd if he'd wins his career isnt helped, if he loses it becomes much easier to cut him.

The idea that the Werdum/JDS fight was so important that it couldnt possible be canciled to make Werdum/Randy is laughable, that match didnt happen because the UFC wanted Brock to get first shot at an aged Couture coming off an 18 month layoff.

Do you ever give your IMDO?

Werdum was elite, but didn't have a lot of star power.
He leaves the UFC and people considered him irrelevant on here. Mocking Fedor for fighting him. Now he is back in the UFC and he is 'elite' again. You see, most mma fans can't separate ability from star power.

Sad truth.

Back