Why did the UFC sign Mark Hunt?

huntsatomicbuttdropud4.gif

This is the true answer.

because he`s Mark f****n Hunt! Go watch a couple of his fights, you`ll get the idea...

They didn't think he was UFC material, but was part of the deal which Dana said at the Pride buyout presser - "we'll get these guys fights".

What makes me wonder though is the extent of the deal, since guys like Ninja and Arona weren't involved in the deal. But Hunt was, and Hunt wasn't doing so good and fought in Dream after that. I guess Pride vets had to sign an exclusive contract when approached, so I'm not sure why the UFC had to pay him regardless of if he fought or not.

Because HW is a thin division and he's a veteran fighter with some name value.

Jesus Christ.

You are wrong.

Hunt had a binding guaranteed fight contract with Pride which means he then had a contract with the UFC.

The thing about Cro Cop was that he couldn't corner guys in the octagon like he could in pride.
Rogan ( I think) always says there's no difference between fighting in a ring and octagon but looking at Cro Cop's pride fights and you can see a huge difference.

Where is Hunt? last fight was nearly a year ago

I'm actually surprised how he's turned things around lately but the guy is a high level kickboxer former K-1 Grand Prix Champion in the golden years of K-1... When he had guys like Hoost,Aerts,Le Banner,Bernardo,Cro Cop,Filho,Sefo,Greco,etc he came out of nowhere and won the whole thing to say he was an underdog is an understatement !!

he has one of the best chins and hits like a mack truck! I've always said Hunto with a ground game he'd be pretty hard to stop his only knockout loss is to Melvin Manhoef another guy that hits very very hard! and Hunt just showed up for a payday he wasn't motivated at all and took Melvin as a joke and he got Knocked out for it....He took kicks from prime Cro-Cop that would decapitate most people...Sefo (a great boxer and Kickboxer) another guy that hits extremely hard nailed him and couldn't knock Hunt out and his knockout of Jerome Le Banner was one of the best I've seen.

outside of Sean Mccorkle,Dan Bobish and Chris Tuchsher or however you spell it.. he's fought all big name guys in MMA and that's for a reason I guess.

I just thought he gave up on himself on his losing streak but he has the fire again and he's on a tear I hope he keeps winning.

TS if you haven't seen his K-1 and Pride fights go watch them.

Last edited:
Where is Hunt? last fight was nearly a year ago

He was injured and couldnt fight vs Struve in an event some time ago, he is however returning to fight Struve on UFC on Fuel 8 the third of march.

Im pretty sure it was also a weight issue with him not being able to get below 265 around the time ufc bought pride.

I'm looking at his record...when they got him he was 5-6 on a five fight losing streak. Is it just his "name" & from beating Mirko & Wanderlei? Not bashing him at all. He's becoming a much better mixed martial artist & is fun to watch. This just confused me.

You gave the answer for your own question. Former K1 champ and fun to watch.
He never will be champion, (his age, his body and his training habit) but he is a good gatekeeper.

He was injured and couldnt fight vs Struve in an event some time ago, he is however returning to fight Struve on UFC on Fuel 8 the third of march.

Thanks for that!

Jesus Christ.

You are wrong.

Hunt had a binding guaranteed fight contract with Pride which means he then had a contract with the UFC.

I know that, duh. Doesn't mean that he's guaranteed 5 fights though. They kept him for the reasons i stated.

Back