Why did the UFC just go to Abu Dhabi?

this is exactly it.

Marketing and exposure for Abu Dhabi as a high-end destination for global tourism and business. Bingo. And Dana loves not having any costs associated with putting on the event. Loves that.
I watched the vlog series. Many of the fighters were commenting how it was the nicest plane they’d ever been on. Amazing hotel etc. they were all extremely happy with the arrangements. They had what I’d describe as basically a private hotel room for their seats on the plane With their coaches

I watched the vlog series. Many of the fighters were commenting how it was the nicest plane they’d ever been on. Amazing hotel etc. they were all extremely happy with the arrangements. They had what I’d describe as basically a private hotel room for their seats on the plane With their coaches
yes it was ridiculously spacious on the plane. Paige van Zant could barely believe it.

I've been to Dubai, and ....there's *nothing* below a 4-star hotel. The hotel lobbies are ridiculously lavish and exotic and like something out of some dream. It's just a different world out there. They treat you like a King, and everything is top-end luxury. Plus they all speak English too. (which I didn't expect really).
The only issue is it's goddamn'd crazy hot outside day and night, I mean....it makes South Florida in summer-time feel cold. It's nutty hot.

There’s been hints and info dropped about powerful individuals wanting the ufc in Abu Dhabi to increase exposure and tourism. That’s why volkanovski was doing a version of the “nascar” experience, and there were adds about water parks, and hotels in Abu Dhabi. My understanding is they are treating the ufc like royalty in exchange for a marketing opportunity.

The reason they’re doing 4 consecutive events is likely that it’s easier to organize and conduct the Covid climate fights in a location multiple times as opposed to traveling worldwide. It’s the same reason they did 3 events in a row in Florida.

The first two embedded also felt like ads for Emirated Airways.

Lol @ the uncalled frustration. You gonna be ok? Dan Hooker just fought in the US and yes, I forgot about the international fighters that participated at 251. Some of you need to get a life.

This is sherdog brooo

Its dog eat dog world bro

You must know alll things before posting bruhhhhhh

Lol...in hindsight i was alittle cagey..

ZealousSoggyAmericanredsquirrel-small.gif
2dbbcbe1c520094d8d4a9adcdb610d50.png
Up2iQzw.gif

Apart from the reasons mentioned, I think they have to factor the unpredictable times that we’re in right now.

In UAE, the government can accommodate whatever they want without having to go through any red tape. It gives the UFC confidence to plan several future events without worrying that it’ll be cancelled by the local government or venue owners.

They're giving them location and site fees as well as paying for everything as if fans were there. They paid for all of Fight Island, all testing and the entire infrastructure. It would be dumb of the UFC not to go.

You mix in the travel restrictions from certain countries and it makes even more sense.

THIS. It's free publicity for Abu Dhabi and The UFC doesn't need to spend that much, given the amounts of buys i think it was a success.

Dana is converting to Islam, confirmed.

I haven't heard anyone ask this but normally the UFC travels to put on shows in different places because there's a live audience. It seems like a huge, unnecessary waste of money to fly a bunch of fighters out to a different country just to have them fight in a closed arena. Everything was pretty much the same as far as the look of the show goes. Didn't they even construct this arena just for this show? Couldn't this have just been done locally?

Maybe there was actually a small, select audience? Maybe they have to fulfill some sort of contract with partners in the Middle East?
Holy shit you're stupid. It's been talked about nonstop for months and there's numerous threads explaining it, how could you possibly not know?

The international fighters were having trouble getting into the US due to corona, so now they have an official procedure in place to ensure safety, and international hubs for them to travel to for testing and quarantine before entering Abu Dhabi for more testing and quarantine.

Yes it's risky as opposed to just cancelling fights altogether or doing US only shows at the APEX, but they appear to be doing a decent job of handling it and keeping everyone safe.

If only the US as a whole could manage the same for it's citizens...

Holy shit you're stupid. It's been talked about nonstop for months and there's numerous threads explaining it, how could you possibly not know?

The international fighters were having trouble getting into the US due to corona, so now they have an official procedure in place to ensure safety, and international hubs for them to travel to for testing and quarantine before entering Abu Dhabi for more testing and quarantine.

Yes it's risky as opposed to just cancelling fights altogether or doing US only shows at the APEX, but they appear to be doing a decent job of handling it and keeping everyone safe.

If only the US as a whole could manage the same for it's citizens...

Holy shit you're stupid. It's been covered IN THIS THREAD. I have a life outside Sherdog and you're late to the party. Another frustrated Sherdweeb lol.

I haven't heard anyone ask this but normally the UFC travels to put on shows in different places because there's a live audience. It seems like a huge, unnecessary waste of money to fly a bunch of fighters out to a different country just to have them fight in a closed arena. Everything was pretty much the same as far as the look of the show goes. Didn't they even construct this arena just for this show? Couldn't this have just been done locally?

Maybe there was actually a small, select audience? Maybe they have to fulfill some sort of contract with partners in the Middle East?

Because most international fighters still can't get into the US and the UFC is required to offer fighters around 3 fights per year, or else they have to pay them.
Combine that with the fact that the UFC needs to deliver around 42 events to ESPN for content purposes and UFC needed a non US location to host events.
Oh yeah, and the Abu Dhabi government paid them hella cash to have fights there, and even covered flights and accommodations.
So, basically, they went there for almost every logical reason possible, i.e. money.

Holy shit you're stupid. It's been covered IN THIS THREAD. I have a life outside Sherdog and you're late to the party. Another frustrated Sherdweeb lol.
It's all over the mma news, not just sherdog. If you know a fight took place in abu dhabi recently, then you've had enough mma immersion to know the answer, no excuses.

Besides, there's already threads made on the subject, so with ANY effort at all, you could find the answer without making a thread.

Last edited:
Who's they?
200w.gif

There’s been hints and info dropped about powerful individuals wanting the ufc in Abu Dhabi to increase exposure and tourism. That’s why volkanovski was doing a version of the “nascar” experience, and there were adds about water parks, and hotels in Abu Dhabi. My understanding is they are treating the ufc like royalty in exchange for a marketing opportunity.

The reason they’re doing 4 consecutive events is likely that it’s easier to organize and conduct the Covid climate fights in a location multiple times as opposed to traveling worldwide. It’s the same reason they did 3 events in a row in Florida.
RIbas is still there livin it up and doing everything that can be done there

The UAE pays celebs and internet influencers to promote the kingdom, not just for economic reasons but part of it I think has to do with improving the image of the kingdom which seems to be some type of medieval sultanate where dissenters disappear to get tortured/killed. The UAE is also involved in the ongoing war on Yemen with its Saudi ally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back