Why did the UFC create a 145lb women division for Holly Holm?

Given who she is fighting there is a very good chance Holm could lose. But yeah either way it is the perfect chance for them to give Rousey a good ending as a two division champ.

So holly would leave Rondaweight...so Ronda would agree to return

So ronda doesn't have to face her and get her head kicked into oblivion again.

That said, Holm better pull a McGregor, Call the 135 champ after she wins her 145 belt and get two of them.

Imagine if Ronda wins, rematch with Holm for 2 belts. Big draw for sure.

Like some posters in here, I believe they created that division mainly to milk the potentially last fight if Ronda wins against Nunes. A Champ Vs Champ showdown. It was supposed to be Holm Vs Cyborg...l but she took herself out via USDA I guess... so there's your matchup... if Ronda wins, and that's a big IF. Anyway, the UFC's new owner are also her agents... so they can afford to not care all that much about her fighting career... since they'll get some chunk from Ronda's $$$ anyway!

On another note... I think they'll eventually realize that the talent pool is not big enough for 135 & 145, and simply kill off 135 for a 125 Pound division. In term of marketability, Ronda is/was a rare breed for a bigger girl. Way more chance to land the next Ronda/Page in the lighter weight classes... and Mackenzie Dern is coming too

So that when Ronda beats Nunes, she never has to fight Holy again.

they didnt.
tumblr_nkmls0Rj5P1u4y1i1o2_500.gif

If Ronda and Holly both win their upcoming fights, Ronda will rematch Holly for the 145 title and then retire.

If Ronda wins against Nunes but Holly loses against GDR, Ronda will defend the 135 belt against the Pena/Schevchenko winner, then retire.

If Ronda loses to Nunes, she will retire.

In my opinion its very obvious they didn't create the division for Holly

They needed a title fight to main event and made a belt. Cyborg got caught mid-cycle and they had to move on.

On another note... I think they'll eventually realize that the talent pool is not big enough for 135 & 145, and simply kill off 135 for a 125 Pound division.
Why not just kill off 145 which is even shallower?

Why not just kill off 145 which is even shallower?

I think that they'll eventually only want 1 division of bigger girls. All 135 women can compete at 145. If they don't want to / can't, they'll simply drop to 125, which increases the chances of marketability.

With the ratings that Michelle Vs Van Zant did on fox, they'll realize that people tune in for hot girls... and that lighter girls are more likely to be hot. Not saying it's right... but it is what it is. Other than Ronda, and maybe Mischa, I don't think any other women really moved the needle at 135.

In my opinion its very obvious they didn't create the division for Holly

If they had, they wouldn't have given her GDR for her first match. But hey, maybe Holly will surprise us and turn into a grappler for that fight and win it (she is probably physically stronger and may be more experienced in grappling). Otherwise, I can't see her pulling it off.

Back