Why did Sting go the WWE?

You look at the way the WWF delt with the WCW invasion angle and the wrestlers involved and honestly I think his fears were probably not unjustified that he'd be chewed up quickly. By keeping away you could argue he maintained his status for longer even if the earnings weren't at the same level.

I'd imagine when he finally signed it was because he was close to retirement anyway.
Of course his fears were justified, DDP took a $750k paycut and was rewarded with losing to a girl. And he was getting $500k a year for only working 3 days a month in TNA.

He deserved to go out on a big win at Mania. Or if he was going to job, it should've been to Taker, or at least a young up-and-coming talent. Jobbing to Trips made zero sense from a business, or any other, perspective(other than HHH ego perspective).

He deserved to go out on a big win at Mania. Or if he was going to job, it should've been to Taker, or at least a young up-and-coming talent. Jobbing to Trips made zero sense from a business, or any other, perspective(other than HHH ego perspective).

Agreed, it made no sense to have him job to HHH at this point and just seems like WWE did it purely out of spite.

I don't know but watching him job to HHH was sad.

Nash and Hall coming out to help Sting at Wrestlemania was one of the stupidest things ever in wrestling story telling.

I swear, if WCW wasn't a shit show and Austin didn't come along, the WWE would be half of what it is now.

Dumbest, most idiotic thing about that was how the NWO of all people ran out to help Sting. Man, oh man, that was indefensibly dumb. I heard some people say it was okay as a it gave a reason for the fantasy NWO versus DX match-up, but fantasy match-ups don't mean crap if you don't preserve the integrity of the characters or some small sense of continuity.

It was time to finally cash out before he calls it a day.

I felt this way too. The excuse Triple H uses is that he was supposed to feud with The Rock and do a big match at Mania the next year. Rock wound up having filming commitments and couldn't do the match. HHH says in hindsight, Sting should have won, but at the time, Sting wasn't going to stick around as they had nothing else planned for him (the whole Rollins thing was developed later) and was supposed to be a one-off, and HHH was supposed to do the big match against The Rock. The match was memorable for some spots and the interference stuff, but it was overbooked, didn't make a lot of sense, and the ending killed it. I'm still hopeful Sting and Taker can do a match or something ala the Boneyard Match.

Back