Why did Michael Johnson accept this fight with Jury?

When you're the low man on a the Totum Pole and Joe Silva calls you, you take the fight. He's not really in a position to be during down fights, or to be picking and choosing his opponents. Joe calls and if Johnsons says no, how soon do you think Johnson will get another fight offered to him?

Good point, that was why I mentioned Joe Silva's curious matchmaking decision.

When you're the low man on a the Totum Pole and Joe Silva calls you, you take the fight. He's not really in a position to be during down fights, or to be picking and choosing his opponents. Joe calls and if Johnsons says no, how soon do you think Johnson will get another fight offered to him?

I came to say this. He's not Jones, Shogun, or Machida who have the accomplishments to say no. If he was cut, how many would really notice?

it's like u think Jury is a garbage opponent.. that's not the case and i hope Johnson brings his game or he will get submitted

Jury isnt ready for Michael Johnson. The striking skills are lopsided and Jury hasnt shown any reason that he can take down Johnson.

Johnson just needs to bring at least a sparring session mentality and he would still beat Jury easily.

This fight really is terrible match-making.

Jury isnt ready for Michael Johnson. The striking skills are lopsided and Jury hasnt shown any reason that he can take down Johnson.

Johnson just needs to bring at least a sparring session mentality and he would still beat Jury easily.

While I agree Johnson should get the win, you are being a bit ridiculous saying he just needs to bring a sparring mentality to the fight. Doesn't matter who you're fighting you won't win with that mentality. You have to respect your opponent...always.

I don't see any impressive names on Jury's resume? What is it about Myles' fighting style that you think would give Johnson problems?

Seriously, I'm curious.

Good point, that was why I mentioned Joe Silva's curious matchmaking decision.

When you only have a few options and a guy is requesting a fight, it's not so much "curious matchmaking" as much as it's working with the limited supply.

I don't see any impressive names on Jury's resume? What is it about Myles' fighting style that you think would give Johnson problems?

Seriously, I'm curious.

I take it you've never actually seen Jury fight then? He's slick with submissions and is just a very cerebral fighter. He has a ways to in developing his overall game, but he has the skills to be a legit contender in the future.

Sort of like a less-developed Carlos Condit or Dominick Cruz (Who he trains with).

When you only have a few options and a guy is requesting a fight, it's not so much "curious matchmaking" as much as it's working with the limited supply.

Maybe Johnson was better off waiting a few weeks and taking on a guy like Rafael dos Anjos, Matt Wiman, Ross Pearson, Khabib Nurmagomedov, or TJ Grant. Instead, he's facing a guy that is 1-0 in the UFC.

Plus I think guys like him with a lot of potential and a lot of holes should take as many low end fights as possible. Keeps em on a streak, getting paid, and getting better. 3 big fights and you might get cut.

dunno
there is money to be made though, it is called prize fighting..

While I agree Johnson should get the win, you are being a bit ridiculous saying he just needs to bring a sparring mentality to the fight. Doesn't matter who you're fighting you won't win with that mentality. You have to respect your opponent...always.

Yeah I am being rude, I'll admit it. But I am being honest here as well.

Lots of guys have beaten other guys coming in with a sparring mentality. It's not a completely bad thing, just likely won't be looking for the finish.

Michael Johnson will win this fight dominantly/easily. If I am wrong you can bump this and rub it in my face.

I Agree with the TS

Johnson should have held out for a bigger name and not fought until summer of 2013

I'm glad he is! I'm a big fan after his last fight, very badass.

Yeah I am being rude, I'll admit it. But I am being honest here as well.

Lots of guys have beaten other guys coming in with a sparring mentality. It's not a completely bad thing, just likely won't be looking for the finish.

Michael Johnson will win this fight dominantly/easily. If I am wrong you can bump this and rub it in my face.

Regardless of win or lose, once I leave this thread I'm not going to be thinking about any of this. So, you should fear me bumping this thread to rub your face in it.

I Agree with the TS

Johnson should have held out for a bigger name and not fought until summer of 2013

Who wants hold out for a paycheck?

Back