Why did Michael Johnson accept this fight with Jury?

RankingMMA

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Johnson does not have a lot to gain from beating Jury, but a whole lot to lose.

Johnson was coming off a big KO win over Danny Castillo and an upset decision win over TUF 13 winner Tony Ferguson. By all accounts, Johnson should have taken another step up in competition against a bigger name.

Instead he gets a top prospect like Myles Jury? What was Joe Silva thinking? This fight makes no sense.

To stay busy I'm guessing. Also fighting means getting paid too so it's not only about moving up in the rankings.

It's his job.

The real question is why Joe Silva wanted it.

He's a confident dude and I'm sure he's adding around 60+ grand to his 2012 income with this fight.

It just seems that Johnson took a big step down in competition. It's not like Edson Barboza was going to face a no-name prospect after knocking out Terry Etim.

He's a confident dude and I'm sure he's adding around 60+ grand to his 2012 income with this fight.

I'm guessing this is the answer, but it was not the wisest of decisions for his career. Jury is no slouch, so Johnson better be on his A-game.

Well, money for one.

Secondly, why would someone not want to fight on the biggest card of the year in a fight that is very winnable and could garner them more exposure and more fans?

Johnson is getting good, but he is not yet complete, therefore the more fights he has, the better. In Jury he gets a tough guy, but not a world beater, just like Johnson. Makes sense to me.

Fighters fight. It should be a nice pay day, and Johnson is young and needs as much experience as he can get.

He gets paid, moves up in payscale, improves his record, more experience.

Johnson is getting good, but he is not yet complete, therefore the more fights he has, the better. In Jury he gets a tough guy, but not a world beater, just like Johnson. Makes sense to me.

Good answer. If he can easily dispose of someone like Jury then he knows for sure he's ready for a step up

There are some good odds out there for tomorrow. Jury is virtually 2/1 as is Brunson. I could see Brunson wrestling Leben...

it's like u think Jury is a garbage opponent.. that's not the case and i hope Johnson brings his game or he will get submitted

A fight is a fight. Money is money.

Of course, but with 68 fighters on the UFC's LW roster, Johnson was finally starting to stand out from the pack. A loss to Jury ruins all that. Big risk, little reward at the end of the day.

Of course, but with 68 fighters on the UFC's LW roster, Johnson was finally starting to stand out from the pack. A loss to Jury ruins all that. Big risk, little reward at the end of the day.

Getting a win on the biggest card of the year in impressive fashion against an undefeated fighter is worth the risk of losing his momentum in my opinion.

When you're the low man on a the Totum Pole and Joe Silva calls you, you take the fight. He's not really in a position to be during down fights, or to be picking and choosing his opponents. Joe calls and if Johnsons says no, how soon do you think Johnson will get another fight offered to him?

He wanted another fight before the end of the year and only two people were willing to fight him. One guy got moved to another card so Myles Jury got the gig.

Back