Why did Frank Mir have such low fight IQ?

what was so bad about his fight IQ? i felt he lost more of his fights because of his lack of athleticism, especially after his motorcycle accident. he became a really stationary fighter who didn't really have explosiveness like he did before.

I always felt his issue was also slow and poor takedown ability and defense. When he wrecked Big Country he did it with clinch game and stand up striking range

I guess you’ve never seen him and big nog fight either time

It was surprising to see for someone who is such a student of the sport, was an incredible commetator providing technical insight in fights

but then to see him have his fights turn into what looked like drunken brawls like with Todd Duffee (despite him winning) and Fedor was just so odd

has he ever commented on why he fought like that?
Well, there's a lot of difference to watch violence and have time to think and comment on it than thinking while someone is smashing his head.

Like Tyson used to say: Everyone Has a Plan Until They Get Punched in the Mouth

Probably a little bit of arrogance. He was frustrating to watch at times because he would sometimes settle into positions he should he be working through. Carwin and Lesnar for example. But Mir landed a solid counter left on Duffy. It wasn't Anderson smooth, but I wouldn't consider it a drunken brawl lol.

u gotta be more specific than that, he's always seem pretty consistent to me

People who have fought before know that in a fight you can get lured into brawl mode and end up fighting to the lower level of your opponent sometimes.

Because he was a HW.

No matter how smart and careful you are, all it takes is 1 shot when you're fighting at HW.

Most of Mir's losses came down to split second instances where he was overwhelmed by the brute nature of HW power.

1ifcyR.gif
Well that was an insane KO so u can’t be mad at him for that.

Same poor IQ that made him attempt flying knee on Brock also gave him the win against Big Nog. It's fighting and it is frantic.

It's a fight. Staying cool and calm and making the right decisions when someone is trying to take your head off is a skill in itself.

He's not as smart as he thinks he is.

It was surprising to see for someone who is such a student of the sport, was an incredible commetator providing technical insight in fights

but then to see him have his fights turn into what looked like drunken brawls like with Todd Duffee (despite him winning) and Fedor was just so odd

has he ever commented on why he fought like that?

This is the same guy that gave Miguel Torres repeated and completely shameless commentating blowjobs when he called his matches.

Frank was a young prodigy. His accident clearly affected his career, but ultimately he was his own worst enemy. I often wondered in the WEC days if Mir play by played his own fights mentally as they unfolded. He seemed to genuinely believe that on paper assessments would carry through on fight night, EVERY time. “I am better at x, y and z. My opponent is barley better than me at b. Therefore I easily crush him. I have more weapons”. His flagrant disrespect for opponents that he deemed unworthy of beating him gave us some shock wins and more improbable soul crushing losses. But he was, as I said originally, a prodigy at one point. He was a reliable fight narrator, a brutal submission artist and the beginning of a new era, I would hazard to guess that many of us were Mir fans at some point in his timeline. He was equal parts asinine and informative. Embarrassing and prolific.

He is just an arrogant dick who isn't nearly as intelligent as he thinks he is. I remember how he talked crap about Fedor for like a decade, he finally fights him and doesn't even last a minute, then goes back to talking crap about Fedor and making excuses. And of course we all remember the quote he made about Lesnar the second time lol

I agree, Frank sounds smart, but is not actually nearly as smart as he sounds.

It's funny that supposedly the two smartest guys, Mir and Carwin, were impressed by Brock's muscles the most. Instead of properly preparing, they spent so much effort trying to get bigger and lift heavier. With expected results.

Back