Why did Frank Mir have such low fight IQ?

SpedDaddyV

GOAT
@Black
Reaction score
It was surprising to see for someone who is such a student of the sport, was an incredible commetator providing technical insight in fights

but then to see him have his fights turn into what looked like drunken brawls like with Todd Duffee (despite him winning) and Fedor was just so odd

has he ever commented on why he fought like that?

Everybody, once in their life, should spend years getting really good at a sport. Within those years you should practice at least two hours a day 4 to 6 days a week. Once that is completed you will likely be at a level where the average seasonal athlete who practices once or twice a week can no longer beat you. No chance in hell. You wreck them at whatever it is. You have now progressed to a level where your only competition is those who are like minded and disciplined in their practice habits.

The separator at this point in your journey will be your ability to think under pressure. I'm assuming you have a reasonably high degree of athleticism. I found out I was not a good thinker under pressure and couldn't control my emotions. Additionally I was overly nervous before competition started. Such is life.

drunken brawls like with Todd Duffee
1ifcyR.gif

He just never reacted very well to getting hit, its understandable.

Frank had a good chance to beat anyone though, equally, he could lose to anyone..

That's why the fighters that demonstrate high fight IQ are so impressive. It's the same as Sherdoggers providing a bunch of analysis in hindsight about what a fighter should have done, but we all know you guys would get washed.

Speak for yourself, I could be UFC HW Champ tomorrow If I wanted to, only reason Sherbros don't fight in UFC is the UFC can't get insurance for their fighters as, obviously, the Sherbro would end up killing someone in the cage.

6'10, 400lbs, jacked, ripped, 12 inches.

He just never reacted very well to getting hit, its understandable.

Frank had a good chance to beat anyone though, equally, he could lose to anyone..

I wouldnt say he was THAT chinny though and did show a few good comebacks.

As mentioned I always felt his biggest issue was he didnt really fight smart and depended alot on opportunities being there for him, when they were he very often exploited them well but when they werent he often didnt seem to know what to do, grappling wise espeically he wasnt that great at building position or throwing in misdirection for his subs.

I wouldnt say he was THAT chinny though and did show a few good comebacks.

As mentioned I always felt his biggest issue was he didnt really fight smart and depended alot on opportunities being their for him, when they were he very often exploited them well but when they werent he often didnt seem to know what to do, grappling wise espeically he wasnt that great at building position or throwing in misdirection for his subs.
I didn't say he had a weak chin though,

He just kinda didn't give off good signals when he got hit, and if you followed up he'd kinda crumble.

And sure, Frank relied on mistakes but that's what made him so dangerous too. One mistake and the bro will take a limb - no mercy.

He knocks a guy in just over a minute
sherbro: "That wasn't very technical."
you can't make this shit up

I said he won the fight, and even just rewatched it to confirm my point

He is a very smart student of the game, and the fight was 2 guys whaling punches at eachother, he put himself in unnecessary harm's way quite a few times

Todd Duffee lacks fundamentals literally everywhere when compared to Frank Mir, and Frank let the fight degrade into a bar room brawl... which was Duffee's only chance of winning

In Mir's case, he literally says his high intelligence has crippled him in fights, coz he was to assured that he will simply out-smart his opponents so that's why he wasn't training as hard in some cases

Wow, that I did not know. He might not be as smart as he thinks....

I didn't say he had a weak chin though,

He just kinda didn't give off good signals when he got hit, and if you followed up he'd kinda crumble.

And sure, Frank relied on mistakes but that's what made him so dangerous too. One mistake and the bro will take a limb - no mercy.

I think part of that is he often ended up in bad positions, a lot of fights for example he just hangs onto half guard waiting for something to happen and gets pulped.

He was always dangerous but I do think that aspect made sure he would never be a truly dominant fighter.

Back