Why Did Chael Sonnen Only Now Get His BJJ Black Belt?

I think he got more into BJJ and with the gi around 2014 when he was suspended and retired (or rather, went out like a gangster).

Some fighters have great BJJ but are like blue or white belts because they don't train with the gi much.

He did the move right. He just underestimated Fedors core strength Chael WAS NOT moving that monster

I dunno seems like it would be hard to move someone with that.

Because there's this retarded mindset in most bjj schools that if you're not in a gi, it's not BJJ. Thus they refuse to rank you, no matter how bad you crush their black belts in no-gi. Hell, I remember when Jon Jones was a white belt in one pic and his trainer said as much.

Well it's not.

If I can beat up a karate black belt that doesn't make me a karate black belt.

I dunno seems like it would be hard to move someone with that.

Well it's not.

If I can beat up a karate black belt that doesn't make me a karate black belt.
10th Planet is 100% no gi, and founded by a Machado black belt. Is that not BJJ? Gordon Ryan doesn't train in a gi, but is a Danaher (and thus Renzo Gracie) black belt. Sub grappling is sub grappling, and fixating on the gi is only going to hinder practitioners.

I heard that Chael won't go to Bermuda for fear of getting stuck in the triangle...

Because he's not very good at BJJ, he's a wrestler that takes BJJ classes.

Yeah. And Conor even made the joke himself “I got my brown belt and I didn’t even grapple!”

Conor isn’t a brown belt imo. And belts are meaningless when they’re handed out like candy.
And what belt are you?

It's pretty obvious that you haven't got a clue about what you're talking about.

How come guys like Rashad and Chael have black belts, and even Conor has a brown belt, but they clearly suck at jui-jitsu? Or at least you never see them throwing arm bars or anything.

I have a feeling the coaches just level guys up due to time being put in, but that's stupid, because time doesn't always equal leveling up.

Black belt means nothing these days. It should mean you're dangerous like Nick Diaz on the ground or FFS you should at least be able to throw some Fedor style arm bars.

That's western society for you... If they did it the way it's suppose to happen stupid students would start complaining and say I pay so much money to train here and been here so long and I don't have a decent belt Imma write a bad review about this place..

New generation dumb people need instant gratification and have to be seen as the best even if it's not genuine because it's all about views and popularity and there's no white belts who are popular are there

Plus shady AF gyms who want to make money and keep people going to classes so they pay handing out belts like happy meal toys isn't helping either

And what belt are you?

It's pretty obvious that you haven't got a clue about what you're talking about.

I admitted in another comment that I'm being an ignorant ass, so you got me on that one. But, if I'm completely wrong, then can someone explain why Conor was given a brown belt after the Poirier fight? Maybe he had already earned it but John didn't wanna give it to him until after the fight. That would make sense I suppose.

If they did it the way it's suppose to happen stupid students would start complaining and say I pay so much money to train here and been here so long and I don't have a decent belt

And that's the sort of thing that tilts me so bad, when people think they're qualified because of time spent. Time spent doesn't matter if you still aren't capable. Just like a Ferrari and a Mazda can both accelerate for 5 seconds but the Ferrari will be father in the end. People are such pussies for putting people's feelings ahead of logic. You see it everywhere. It's pathetic.

And that's the sort of thing that tilts me so bad, when people think they're qualified because of time spent. Time spent doesn't matter if you still aren't capable. Just like a Ferrari and a Mazda can both accelerate for 5 seconds but the Ferrari will be father in the end. People are such pussies for putting people's feelings ahead of logic. You see it everywhere. It's pathetic.

I hear you, I've gone to more then a few local gyms and watched what suppose to be there advance level classes (blue, purple, brown, black belts)and left thinking not one of these guys have probably competed or won a tournament before how are they ranked this high..

It's actually dangerous having these type of people out there thinking they can and really they can't.. In the end there dojo will be exposed

10th Planet is 100% no gi, and founded by a Machado black belt. Is that not BJJ? Gordon Ryan doesn't train in a gi, but is a Danaher (and thus Renzo Gracie) black belt. Sub grappling is sub grappling, and fixating on the gi is only going to hinder practitioners.

And BJJ started from judo, so is it not judo?

It's not like a BJJ black belt is required to be a great grappler, it's just an art that can make you one. But if you don't know that art and don't use a fundamental aspect of it it's fair to say you aren't a master or say black belt in it.

And BJJ started from judo, so is it not judo?

It's not like a BJJ black belt is required to be a great grappler, it's just an art that can make you one. But if you don't know that art and don't use a fundamental aspect of it it's fair to say you aren't a master or say black belt in it.
There are massive differences between judo, especially as it's practiced today, and BJJ. The only difference i'm talking about is whether or not you wear a gi.

anderson-silva-knees-a-downed-chael-sonnen-at-ufc-148.gif
1518658812577.jpg

There are massive differences between judo, especially as it's practiced today, and BJJ. The only difference i'm talking about is whether or not you wear a gi.

And that leads to massive differences.

The Gi changes the game, some parts are similar, some parts the same but there are which are completely different.
For instance my favourite nogi guard pass gets me collar choked whenever I am in a gi.

And that leads to massive differences.

The Gi changes the game, some parts are similar, some parts the same but there are which are completely different.
For instance my favourite nogi guard pass gets me collar choked whenever I am in a gi.
There's differences for sure, but easily 99% or better of the techniques work with or without the gi, maybe with slight modifications (grab the wrist instead of sleeve, collar vs head/neck, etc). To say it's no longer BJJ because there's no gi is asinine. And then there's the contradiction that nearly all schools train no-gi at least once a week, but then the hardcore traditionalists want to claim that's not BJJ? Wtf is it then, and why are they incorporating it if they refuse to claim it as such?

There's differences for sure, but easily 99% or better of the techniques work with or without the gi, maybe with slight modifications (grab the wrist instead of sleeve, collar vs head/neck, etc). To say it's no longer BJJ because there's no gi is asinine. And then there's the contradiction that nearly all schools train no-gi at least once a week, but then the hardcore traditionalists want to claim that's not BJJ? Wtf is it then, and why are they incorporating it if they refuse to claim it as such?

If you think it's 99% the same I suggest you actually try them both before making that claim again.

We are done here.

If you think it's 99% the same I suggest you actually try them both before making that claim again.

We are done here.
Lmao, I primarily do no gi now, but I did my first 3 years in a gi almost exclusively. Still do gi once every few weeks. Whatever though, we'll agree to disagree.

Back