Why Did Chael Sonnen Only Now Get His BJJ Black Belt?

Because they don’t give out bjj belts based on your wrestling experience.

It wouldnt have been the attempt I would have used. I would have tried getting hooks in and striking Fedor from the side of his head, ride the back as long as I could until Fedor made a move that likely would have been a role where Chael would fall into his guard, not make any risky moves like that. Fedor was just a heavy boulder and was smart compared to Sonnens low fight IQ. He is good at analyzing fights after the fact but when he fight he really cant think on the spot to well.

anderson-silva-knees-a-downed-chael-sonnen-at-ufc-148.gif

Because there's this retarded mindset in most bjj schools that if you're not in a gi, it's not BJJ. Thus they refuse to rank you, no matter how bad you crush their black belts in no-gi. Hell, I remember when Jon Jones was a white belt in one pic and his trainer said as much.
I feel like it's important to do both, and each be valued equally. It's more realistic for a real life altercation.

How come guys like Rashad and Chael have black belts, and even Conor has a brown belt, but they clearly suck at jui-jitsu? Or at least you never see them throwing arm bars or anything.

I have a feeling the coaches just level guys up due to time being put in, but that's stupid, because time doesn't always equal leveling up.

Black belt means nothing these days. It should mean you're dangerous like Nick Diaz on the ground or FFS you should at least be able to throw some Fedor style arm bars.
its just a marketing tool. they get their name out when a high profile guy has a belt from them. I mean seriously rashad lmao the man cant even click his heels together

I feel like it's important to do both, and each be valued equally. It's more realistic for a real life altercation.
As somebody who's done both gi and no-gi for several years now, I can't accept gi jiu jitsu as effective for anything other than gi competition, compared to no-gi at least. The only time the gi aspect comes into play is if they're wearing a thick winter coat. Neither pants nor shirts are made of strong enough stuff to effectively grip with anymore, much less the gi exclusive positions/attacks (lasso, worm, collar chokes, etc). I enjoy the gi, but I can't see any realistic reason to train it aside from tradition and gi specific competition.

If Chael had taken BJJ training more seriously earlier in his career, not at the end of it, he would have beaten Silva.

Yeah. And Conor even made the joke himself “I got my brown belt and I didn’t even grapple!”

Conor isn’t a brown belt imo. And belts are meaningless when they’re handed out like candy.

Yep

Thats why any grappling gym with any credibility makes there students compete in tournaments in order to achieve next rank. Whats you belt mean if you cant sub or beat another person of your rank.

I want to see Conor go win some Jitz tourneys at the brown belt level, or go try ADCC trials LoL

Should have stolen one from the Nogueira brothers' house, when he broke in wearing night vision goggles he bought from Soldier of Fortune magazine.

What did he even attempt here?
To roll forward with a strong seat belt grip, so he’d roll Fedor with him and the goal is to gain back control.

He didn’t quite succeed, as you can see

<{anton}>

Should’ve just tried to get the hooks in and flatten Fedor out, try to pound (him from behind) his head from the back mount. Easy to speculate after the fight...

I respect your realization of where you stand with me.
If we met in person,you would lose in anything to me just like on this forum.
It's a quality to have and your time wont be wasted knowing that,unlike Chael

lol at anyone "winning" or "losing" in a forum :D
irl though, i'd most prolly take your mom and your girlfriend and have you serving me beer while at it.

As somebody who's done both gi and no-gi for several years now, I can't accept gi jiu jitsu as effective for anything other than gi competition, compared to no-gi at least. The only time the gi aspect comes into play is if they're wearing a thick winter coat. Neither pants nor shirts are made of strong enough stuff to effectively grip with anymore, much less the gi exclusive positions/attacks (lasso, worm, collar chokes, etc). I enjoy the gi, but I can't see any realistic reason to train it aside from tradition and gi specific competition.
I just started MMA a week ago and already I want to do no-gi. I do love that finally after many years of wanting to do martial arts I get to wear a belt. Very proud of my white belt :) That said I think I'm going to do less striking and gi classes and start going to no-gi classes.

How come guys like Rashad and Chael have black belts, and even Conor has a brown belt, but they clearly suck at jui-jitsu? Or at least you never see them throwing arm bars or anything.

I have a feeling the coaches just level guys up due to time being put in, but that's stupid, because time doesn't always equal leveling up.

Black belt means nothing these days. It should mean you're dangerous like Nick Diaz on the ground or FFS you should at least be able to throw some Fedor style arm bars.
Conor doesn't suck at jiu jitsu, and throwing a quick armbar doesn't mean you are a black belt, there is more to ground fighting than that.
Condit almost got Chiesa with an armbar but he got schooled on the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back