Why Danaher doesn't compete

There are some really good coaches that are not good competitors, not that I am suggesting that Danaher is a bad competitor, he may be very good for all I know. With that being said, does anybody remember the TUF with Serra and Hughes? Serra got into it with Marc Laimon, who is also a renowned coach who does not compete. Serra claimed that Laimon had no right to pass judgment on Royce Gracie's performance against Matt Hughes because he didn't compete. Does anyone know what Serra's thought are on Danaher?

There are some really good coaches that are not good competitors, not that I am suggesting that Danaher is a bad competitor, he may be very good for all I know. With that being said, does anybody remember the TUF with Serra and Hughes? Serra got into it with Marc Laimon, who is also a renowned coach who does not compete. Serra claimed that Laimon had no right to pass judgment on Royce Gracie's performance against Matt Hughes because he didn't compete. Does anyone know what Serra's thought are on Danaher?
Serra and Danaher are cool. They just did an awesome podcast. There was a lot more to the Serra/Laimon beef than Laimon simply not competing. Because Laimon did compete for a while but just not in MMA.

That said, Laimon was before his time. He was like a west coast Danaher in a way, and he had the unfortunate timing of being in the light before hating on the Helio's side of the Gracie family was fashionable.

If Laimon were a public figure now he would be much more popular, and I think he would have a bit of a cult following like Danaher

Serra and Danaher are cool. They just did an awesome podcast. There was a lot more to the Serra/Laimon beef than Laimon simply not competing. Because Laimon did compete for a while but just not in MMA.

That said, Laimon was before his time. He was like a west coast Danaher in a way, and he had the unfortunate timing of being in the light before hating on the Helio's side of the Gracie family was fashionable.

If Laimon were a public figure now he would be much more popular, and I think he would have a bit of a cult following like Danaher

In all fairness, although Laimon has a very good reputation for his Jiu Jitsu insight, his personality does not have a good reputation. Where as I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Danaher skill wise or personality wise.

Laimon learned jiu jitsu from Royce then left and during TUF used to talk shit about Royce. Matt doesn't like that and called him on it.

In all fairness, although Laimon has a very good reputation for his Jiu Jitsu insight, his personality does not have a good reputation. Where as I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Danaher skill wise or personality wise.

I don't think you will hear danaher calling another bb as a blue belt level during an mma fight.

Serra's issue wasn't that Laimon didn't compete, it was that he didn't fight, but saw fit to bash on Royce's MMA performances from the early 90's. His issue was a grappling instructor who had never fought, insulting a legend of the game who fought in the NHB days.

Serra and Danaher are on pretty close. John has done seminars at Matt's school. They came up under Renzo around the same time (Serra obviously got his bb first) among the first crop of Renzo's top students in the US, and they only have good things to say about each other.

Back