Why Danaher doesn't compete

n8pee

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
This got summed up pretty quickly on his video on the home page - asserting himself over someone else is just something that doesn't appeal to him. Can you relate?

Seems like an odd choice of sports for a guy that doesn't like to assert himself.

I guess I can understand the philosophy...

I personally don't believe him, but whatever.

maybe danaher has evolved to a egoless person.

Maybe, or maybe he is striving for it.

It still doesn't make sense to me... I like tapping people in the gym, just not realsies.

If you don't like competition, fine... I don't think everyone has to compete. I don't believe his reason, that's all.

I think I heard someone say that Danaher is just fascinated by the movements and how jiu jitsu works. On that level, it's easy to see why he doesn't feel the need to compete.

Maybe, or maybe he is striving for it.

It still doesn't make sense to me... I like tapping people in the gym, just not realsies.

If you don't like competition, fine... I don't think everyone has to compete. I don't believe his reason, that's all.

I think Danaher has an old school ju jitsu mentality,I dont think he veiws sport ju jitsu and ju jitsu as one in the same.I think personally think ju jitsu is at its best when you do it with people who have no ego.

I assumed it had something to do with his hair. This sounds more noble.

Its hard for competitive people to comprehend, but some people just aren't interested in competition with other people. I have a buddy who played sports all his life and in college and isn't interested in them anymore. He figures he got all the competitive drive out of his system.

Danaher moved to NY from his native New Zealand in the early 1990s just as the Gracies were making their appearance on the world stage.

His original goal was to study philosophy at Columbia University. The life of a graduate student is fascinating and enriching - but not financially!

To improve his meager income, Danaher worked as a bouncer in several nightclubs and bar in NYC...

Disillusioned with traditional martial arts, Danaher became and enthusiastic advocate of BJJ after being introduced to Renzo Gracie by a friend. Within weeks he was applying the techniques he learned in real life scenarios on a regular basis.

Juggling the study and teaching of philosophy at an Ivy league Universtiy wiht the quelling and removal of unurly patrons might seem an unusual contrast....The analytic and teaching skills honed in his formal education created in Danaher the skill of breaking down and understanding technique details and then being able to verbalize it to others..

His obsession with technical details and willingness to absorb his teacher's knowledge, along with frequent opportunities to put that knowledge to the test in real scenarios created a student with technical depth wedded to pratical experience who could convey his knowledge in the clearest way..

BJJ - Theory and Technique - Renzo Gracie and Royler Gracie.

I believe he has a busted knee since forever.

Good for him. It's pretty rare that you see a public figure in Bjj who isn't motivated by competition and looks at things from another perspective.

Danaher moved to NY from his native New Zealand in the early 1990s just as the Gracies were making their appearance on the world stage.

His original goal was to study philosophy at Columbia University. The life of a graduate student is fascinating and enriching - but not financially!

To improve his meager income, Danaher worked as a bouncer in several nightclubs and bar in NYC...

Disillusioned with traditional martial arts, Danaher became and enthusiastic advocate of BJJ after being introduced to Renzo Gracie by a friend. Within weeks he was applying the techniques he learned in real life scenarios on a regular basis.

Juggling the study and teaching of philosophy at an Ivy league Universtiy wiht the quelling and removal of unurly patrons might seem an unusual contrast....The analytic and teaching skills honed in his formal education created in Danaher the skill of breaking down and understanding technique details and then being able to verbalize it to others..

His obsession with technical details and willingness to absorb his teacher's knowledge, along with frequent opportunities to put that knowledge to the test in real scenarios created a student with technical depth wedded to pratical experience who could convey his knowledge in the clearest way..

BJJ - Theory and Technique - Renzo Gracie and Royler Gracie.

Hey I have that book on display n my classroom!

Anywho... I've heard so many good things about him but wondering if there's any videos of him. Training w high profile jiu jitsu guys

Last edited:
Seems like an odd choice of sports for a guy that doesn't like to assert himself.

I guess I can understand the philosophy...

I personally don't believe him, but whatever.

I personally think is totally possible that someone who studied Philosophy is thinks totally different than your average person.

As a guy in the final year of his philosophy degree this thread makes me very happy.

Its hard for competitive people to comprehend, but some people just aren't interested in competition with other people. I have a buddy who played sports all his life and in college and isn't interested in them anymore. He figures he got all the competitive drive out of his system.

did you forget the part where he played competitive sports to get the competetive drive out of his system? :icon_chee

Danaher has some sort of physical handicap iirc, something wrong with one of his legs? Might also be part of the reason?

Back