Why can't Keenan win @ big stage?

black belch

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
dude got mauled by another not so famous brazilian... frustrating

Last edited:
Yuri Simoes is "another semi-unknown Brazilian?"

You have no idea what you are talking about. You should stay off the grappling forum.

lulz at Yuri Simoes being another semi-unknown Brazilian

Yuri Simoes is a fucking beast. He's not unknown or even semi-unknown. Yuri winning isn't a massive surprise. He's was considered one of the top dogs in that division going into it, and he already had nogi a win over Keenan.

Keenan got double medals in 2013 ADCC, and he got silver yesterday. I'm sure he's disappointed but he did very well. He's very young, and I'm sure that he will compete a lot more in his life. Big and bright future ahead and he's already done a lot.

So Not winning ADCC isn't the end of the world. It's one of the hardest tournaments to win. All the best people are there. It wasn't his day. Yuri did great.

i meant he's not a huge name like keenan

Not many people are as popular as Keenan when it comes to popularity in this sport. He's a young American that is active on social media, and he's had a lot of attention on him for a long time. He's got to be the most well known bjj guy that doesn't own his own academy.

Name recognition doesn't always mean that much. Every year you see people coming out of Brazil and smashing everyone. Marcelo Garcia, Sergio Moraes, Leandro Lo, there are lots of examples. Marcelo was just an alternate at ADCC and won gold. There are lots of people that don't have that much money or are in situations where the world doesn't have access to them. Then they come out and win worlds or something and people act like it's a surprise but you'll always find a few people that called it.

Yuri is pretty well known but I'm just saying that being a name or even a heavy favorite isn't always what counts,

i meant he's not a huge name like keenan

10592884_955755604444331_6821385637860532058_n.jpg

Keenan's 2 most recent matches against Yuri was a loss on points and a draw at Metamucil where he almost got kneebarred

There's a bit of a rivalry between them, no? Aren't they like 1-1-1 when facing eachother now? Yuri Simoes is not a no name.

I didn't get to see all of his matches, but he seemed overly defensive in the semi and finals.

He looked gaunt too; shorts constantly falling down in the final. May have had a rough weight cut.

How old is Keenan? How long has he been a black belt? He also got to BB pretty fast. Give it time, most guys take a few years before they start consistently winning world titles. It's not easy. I don't know how many if any he'll end up winning, but it's certainly to early to assume he's peaked and won't get any better.

Taking a silver medal at adcc is nothing to scoff at

Taking a silver medal at adcc is nothing to scoff at

Yeah, but he only beat Claudio Calasans and Rustam, then losing on points in the final. Pretty weak IMO.

Keenan is like 22 and has only been training like 7-8 years total. For him to accomplish what he has is nothing short of stunning, and indicates that he is the exact opposite of a bust.

Yeah, but he only beat Claudio Calasans and Rustam, then losing on points in the final. Pretty weak IMO.

Only beat the guy who went on to be the 2015 Absolute champion, and Rustam?

Give it time. He's still relatively new to the black belt world. And honestly, he's got a huge target on his back. With his game being online, it's not hard to scout him and look for ways to beat and neutralize his game.

I mean, doing it is another story, but again, the guys he goes against are the best of the best of the best. When you have a target on your back and it's only the best aiming for you, you might come up short a couple times. But even still, he did great.

I don't think he even medaled at the last ADCC.

How old is Keenan? How long has he been a black belt? He also got to BB pretty fast. Give it time, most guys take a few years before they start consistently winning world titles. It's not easy. I don't know how many if any he'll end up winning, but it's certainly to early to assume he's peaked and won't get any better.

How old was BJ when he won the mundials at black? If you can't do that you might as well get a job at an Acai stand and making conversation with AJ as he sips an acai-grape drink.

Back