Why Can't I sleep?

To remove anything unnecessary, as to see if that's affecting him.

Ok. Stopped taking it.

It can't hurt, you should keep a full diary for a few weeks, if there's a pattern it'll show itself. Track everything - activities, bathroom, bedroom, everything you eat. It could be something strange like an ingredient from the taco shack you go to every time you go surfing, or if it is surfing itself at least you'll know.

That's a good idea, I'm going to start tracking it in my diet log.

I had a terrible sleep problem 2 years ago I would say in 40 days I slept 100 hrs. Witch led to me sleep walking I no shit woke up standing in my hall. Sleeping pills made the problem much worst for me I took them at about day 20 and they just messed me up they would keep me up for like 36 hrs leaving me feeling like I was coming off a high. what I found in my research was a lot of the things people are saying

1 Never just lay in bed if I'm not out in 30 min i get up change rooms and read or clean for like 20 min
2 Dim the lights a few hrs before bed
3 I now sleep on a very firm bed and love it
4 I always have a glass of milk before bed it tells my body its sleep time
5 I change this one up because I get used to one thing and then I start thinking a white noise machine by hammiker schellem, tv very low so I cant hear much of anything with a dvd i know well ufc 46 is a recent fav, fan

Its all a mental game thought and finding what works best for you.
For me its all about routine I work crazy hours so its hard enough being awake when most are sleeping. Let me know how the sleep is coming and most of all stay out of your head thats the hardest part.

Maybe this will help, take from it what you wish :p

Do you have alot of stuff where you sleep? like a tv, xbox, computer etc? Do you often lay in bed watching tv or play consoles? Often when people make habits of using the bedroom for entertainment (yes, feel free to make funnies) your body does not recognize the bedroom as "time to go to bed". Try to get it nice and cold, and completly dark. Try to avoid music and other distractions.

Also i`ve heard it helps to get into a routine that your body recognizes as a "soon to go to bed" ritual. Like relax, drink some tea, maybe read abit or have a light supper. Just get into a routine, also try not to stray too much away from your "standard bed time".

Its hard to explain as english obviously is not my first language, but i hope it can help you abit.

Also, do you have any challanges at work, private, relationshipwise etc that keeps you laying in bed thinking? that often hinders me from falling asleep quickly.

Summarised I think you mean- The bedroom is for sex and sleeping

edit to the OP

A tablespoon of Magnesium Citrate (work out your sweet spot, too much and you will shit yourself...literally) before bed and some gaba will knock me and keep me out. But the gaba makes you feel hung over all day the next day, so careful with that. I keep the gaba for when I need to fully recover and don't have anything on the next day (ie friday nights and maybe a tuesday).

Summarised I think you mean- The bedroom is for sex and sleeping

edit to the OP

A tablespoon of Magnesium Citrate (work out your sweet spot, too much and you will shit yourself...literally) before bed and some gaba will knock me and keep me out. But the gaba makes you feel hung over all day the next day, so careful with that. I keep the gaba for when I need to fully recover and don't have anything on the next day (ie friday nights and maybe a tuesday).

I was going to make the same point when I read the OP sits on his bed to watch TV. Keep the bed for sleeping and humping (yourself or others) and nothing else. Associate the bed with only sexing and sleeping.

I heard that the b-vitamins in commercial ZMA can cause some sleep issues, but it's surely not the main factor here. But, I stated buying zinc and magnesium and taking them separately, and I like it a lot.

I was only sitting on the foot of the bed when watching tv, but I have since stopped that. I also used to lay in bed for extended periods of time waiting to go to sleep (reading or listening to a podcast) I have also stopped that. I also stopped taking the ZMA for now. I haven't had any episodes of being up until 4am or anything like that yet. I also havent had any nights where i go out to the bar and stay up late which is keeping me on a better schedule.

I still have a ways to go improving the sleep, thanks for all the advice.

I've been logging my sleep in my diet log:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f92/help-appreciated-giving-low-carb-paleo-try-1226194/index10.html

Last edited:
Everyone I know or have known who have a tv in their bedroom has had trouble sleeping.

Everyone I know or have known who have a tv in their bedroom has had trouble sleeping.

I have a book and in theory go to bed 30-60 minutes early and read with one of those sunset alarm clocks for the last 20 minutes.

In theory

Reading a book seriously puts me to sleep. I can usually manage 20-30 minutes before dozing off. Even if it's a really interesting read.

I do not agree with removing the zma.

I do agree with Ian - the ZMA I take from truprotein has gaba in it and that definitely puts me out better than other zma i"ve tried ... also had success with valerian root ...

what works for me is the following or some combo of them

1. ceiling fan/fan in the room = white-noise/cools the temperature slightly
  2. lowering the ac/heat temp as well slightly (I sleep way better when its cool enough that I don't sweat/toss and turn under the covers)
  3. no tv/electronics close to bed/ put F.Lux on the computer (blue light therapy, the idea is you bodies melatonin production turns on and off by blue light receptors in your eyes, evolved to make us sleep when the sun goes down, things like a TV and mp3 player screen have a ton of blue light in them, changing the color temperature away from blue at night or avoiding them helps a ton)
  4. avoiding daylight spectrum/cool light lights at night/ reading with a yellow/warm light = less blue light as well
  5. covering all sources of light (blackout curtains, black electrical tape on LED's etc)
  6. ZMA + D3 before bed (the D3 helped me with a stuffy nose I'd always get before bed = better sleep less breathing problems)
  7. breath right strips can also help
  8. working out earlier in the day
  9. no caffeine within 4 hours of bedtime
  10. regular bedtime.
  11. cleaning up diet + getting enough micro nutrients

all of these (if I chose to follow them) have helped me a ton, hope some help you.

I can never sleep on the nights after a deadlift or squat workout. Don't know what it is. I lift during my lunch hour so it's not like I'm leaving the gym and jumping straight into bed. I lift at noon and go to bed around 10pm.

Seems to be a common problem around the net, but I'll be damned if I can find a fix for it, other than tylenol PM.

I have a book and in theory go to bed 30-60 minutes early and read with one of those sunset alarm clocks for the last 20 minutes.

In theory

This seems like a good idea, my lamp i read by is too bright. What exactly did you buy?

I was having trouble sleeping well.. last thursday I gave up coffee and red bull. Since then I am sleeping great and dreaming lucidly again. I still don't get enough, but at least the little I get is quality.

you mean massive amounts of caffeine and sugar disrupt your sleep?

Tonight is one of those nights I can't sleep and have a feeling I could be up until very late. Text I just wrote in my sleep log:

sleep: writin this at night, already can tell its one of those nights i can't sleep. Got off of work at 10. Dicked around till like 11
did my spanish learning audio shit in the dark which took about 15 minutes. Couldn't sleep. Meditated (30 min). Couldn't sleep. Now its 12:40.
I'm like kinda worked up, can't really relax (already meditated for a half hour). Could try meditating for longer. Seems like a lot of time spent that
is more or less unproductive. I figure if I'm going to be awake an extra hour why not learn something. Especially since there is no gaurantee of me
falling asleep after doing it. Only thing I did unusual today was some conditioning stuff I haven't done in awhile. Also might be surfing in the morning which
can make me excited. Kind of worked up about a debate/argument had with a friend. Not really worked up but it comes to brain when I lay down to sleep. This happened yesterday though and I didn't have this trouble last night. Might be keeping me up. Difficult to let go of, already meditated. Also a little hungry. It was also extremely hot today. Exercised outside, but my job is in the AC.

So I ended up eating a packet of tuna. Then I decided to write about the conflict with my friend, which apparently I was more worked up about than I thought, I wrote 1400 words. That took like 30 minutes. And I fell asleep just after 2 I would guess.

So I guess maybe next time I lay down and something like that keeps going through my brain, writing about it would be a good idea, kept it out of my head after that.

Try reading (no t.v. or internet). This has helped me out a lot. Sometimes the more boring the novel is the better.

Try reading (no t.v. or internet). This has helped me out a lot. Sometimes the more boring the novel is the better.

Light + intellectual stimulation result in no sleep. Maybe I will try again though. Would rather meditate in the dark than read a boring novel in the light!

Back