1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Why Can't I sleep?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by zere0wn, Jul 10, 2010.

1. zere0wn Green Belt

Is this normal for you guys? I waste tons of time at nights either attempting to fall asleep or in the mornings half asleep wanting to be asleep since its before the alarm clock, but still in bed, knowing I didn't get my 8 or 9 hours I would like. In general my sleep just fucking sucks. Mostly can't get to sleep at night.

Currently I'm trying out the "paleo" diet, and supplementing with ZMA. 23 years old. Here's my schedule the past couple days anything that would cause me to not sleep?

Wednesday:
    Worked 10am-9pm on about 7 hours of sleep I'm guessing. Although I was woken up in the morning by barking dog so the last hour and a half in and out of sleep.
    Probably fell asleep midnightish. And got to sleep in a little bit on thursday to like 9 although woken up some again in the morning by dog.

Thursday: During the day got a strenuous lifting session in. Worked 6pm-9pm, Could not fall asleep. Got to bed probably after 1.

Friday: Woke up sore from the lifting session at 7 oclock. Went surfing for 2 hours. Came home ate tons of food, then went to work 2-10:30. Came home, in bed by 1115. Been laying in bed since then not falling asleep its not 430am and im pretty wired. Waking up at 6am to go surfing.

Here's my diet log:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f92/help-appreciated-giving-low-carb-paleo-try-1226194/

Any help?? My sleep schedule fucks up my life. I decided to skip hanging out with some friends tonight because I know I need to catch up on sleep, but I might as well have went because I've been laying in bed staring at the ceiling the whole time anyway. This sucks. I waste so much time trying to get asleep or half asleep or dead tired during the day from lack of sleep.

2. zere0wn Green Belt

I've always had trouble getting asleep. And have worked on turning the lights off and covering up all the lights in my room so its pretty dark in here right now.

Today I started eating >50g carbs again, how much of a factor could this have? I only had a sweet potato and a bag of carrots.

3. XMoker Blue Belt

Go for a walk then lie on the couch and watch CSPAN. Or just say F it and watch Dream 15 before work, like me.

4. Stungun101 Red Belt

My guess is you are used to living with the sugar highs and lows of a carb filled diet and are used to sleeping as you bottomed out. Now that you have more consistent and sustained energy (which probably feels slightly above your crash levels atm, but won't forever) you no longer have the bottoming out phase and your body is not conditioned to sleep in such a state.

Don't let this shy you away from the diet, it's not because of Paleo that this is happening, it's more likely because you were not eating Paleo up until this point.

I would stop taking ZMA altogether. Also if you don't fall asleep within 20 mins of lying down, just get up and do something to busy your mind, but not something that'll get your heart rate up (walking is okay). Also keep the lights as dim as possible.

5. dinpappa Purple Belt

Maybe this will help, take from it what you wish :p

Do you have alot of stuff where you sleep? like a tv, xbox, computer etc? Do you often lay in bed watching tv or play consoles? Often when people make habits of using the bedroom for entertainment (yes, feel free to make funnies) your body does not recognize the bedroom as "time to go to bed". Try to get it nice and cold, and completly dark. Try to avoid music and other distractions.

Also i`ve heard it helps to get into a routine that your body recognizes as a "soon to go to bed" ritual. Like relax, drink some tea, maybe read abit or have a light supper. Just get into a routine, also try not to stray too much away from your "standard bed time".

Its hard to explain as english obviously is not my first language, but i hope it can help you abit.

Also, do you have any challanges at work, private, relationshipwise etc that keeps you laying in bed thinking? that often hinders me from falling asleep quickly.

6. VisceralDragon Green Belt

I have trouble sleeping too, I think it has more to do with anxeity than anything else. Try doing or thinking about something that relaxes you in some way.

7. zere0wn Green Belt

Thanks for the responses guys

I dunno man I've been on the paleo + occasional too much alcohol for 2 months now. I also stay up too late when I drink which disrupts my schedule.

I have a computer and tv, both of which are shut completely off at night with no lights showing. Only thing I use my bed for is reading and sometimes listen to mp3 player before bed. The past month I've been sitting at the foot of my bed to watch tv because I broke my remote. So I guess this may have an effect.

Work is fine but I lay in bed thinking sometimes.

In the past I've used a meditation program when I feel particularly wound up, and that seems to help. Sometimes it stresses me out more though because I feel like its a chore to listen to that for a half hour and maybe I could fall asleep faster on my own.

I may try listening to that every night and see how it helps.

8. facedancer Warning: ***hole

Yeah, 99% sure mine is anxiety related. It's no fun man.

You could always try melatonin or valerian root before taking more drastic steps.

9. Todd Gack Dutch

I've found that the low hum of a fan helps me get to sleep. It drowns out a lot of the street noise.

10. zere0wn Green Belt

Also curious why stop taking ZMA? I thought it was supposed to help with sleep.

11. Endo o hai!

Are you feeling over-stressed by chance?

12. dingdangdoodle ..

Is this the same old same ol, or has it gotten worse recently? If so, what's changed?

Get a book on 'sleep hygiene' from the library for tips like dimming lights a few hours before bed, getting up at the same time every day etc. Meditation routines didn't work for me, I quiet my mind down by counting back from 100. I start over if my mind wanders.

ZMA is supposed to help you with deep sleep, i don't think it does much to help you get to sleep. Everyone is different, ZMA didn't do much for me, I'd say it even kept me up. Take a good 2 or 3x-a-day multivitamin, that'll be more than enough.

Are you taking any other supplements? My girlfriend had me on drops of oil of oregano last year, it absolutely, 100% messed with my sleep. I stopped taking the drops and I went back to normal.

Pot can keep some people up, I've read that THC binds with the same receptors that some sleep chemicals bind to, so your brain doesn't receive all the signals it needs to. (A neuroscientist will cringe at that, but you get the point.)

Again, I really suggest reading a book on sleep hygiene. Good luck,

13. dingdangdoodle ..

14. general woundwort Banned Banned

I have trouble falling asleep too, I usually eat then put on a movie and turn the volume down till I can barely hear it, I'm usually asleep before the movie is over, works best with zombie movies and the dreams kick ass.-

15. spookon3** Orange Belt

What ever you do...NEVER take sleeping pills. Sleeping pills remove your natural ability to fall asleep so you'll be hooked for life.

16. zere0wn Green Belt

Maybe some, less stress than when I'm in school though. I'm starting to think its kind of a messed up routine thing. Hard to balance social life and work with a normal sleep/wake routine. Getting off of work at 10 then attempting to be to sleep by 11 so I can wake up at 7, I think might be causing me some stress or I am unable to wind-down quick enough. Thoughts def go through my mind along the lines of "gotta hurry up and get to bed".

It's always been kind of bad, then I thought it had improved with my low carb paleo try, mostly because I was frigging exhausted. Now its kind of bad agani the past 4-5 days. I think it can sometimes come and go.

I've ready a couple books involving sleep such as Harvard Medical School guide and Lights Out by T.S. Wiley. I do a good job with the lights but probably could improve on other things like not sitting in bed and doing things other than sleeping. Also I'm not sure about the sort of things I read before bed they can often be a little mind-straining. Probably should read something or listen to something that doesn't involve much thinking?

No other supplements. I haven't noticed a big change in either direction with the ZMA maybe I'll get off of it. One thing that seems to consistently affect my sleep is surfing. If I surf I often cannot go to sleep that night. I don't know why this could be. Frequently it happens when I surf early in the morning as well like 7am, then I try to go to sleep at 11pm and I can't until 3am. Hard to imagine some kind of effect lasting that long. I Don't smoke pot.

Thanks. for the tips and helping me think this through.

17. Origins Blue Belt

Have you been eating more than usual lately? I find that when I eat a lot I have more trouble sleeping.

18. zere0wn Green Belt

The more I think about it the more I think its related to surfing somehow. I remember the last time I got pissed about this and considering making a thread was after surfing.

Not eating more than usual but I am eating only twice a day now, but been doing that for a little bit don't see why that would affect?

19. Stungun101 Red Belt

To remove anything unnecessary, as to see if that's affecting him.

20. dingdangdoodle ..

It can't hurt, you should keep a full diary for a few weeks, if there's a pattern it'll show itself. Track everything - activities, bathroom, bedroom, everything you eat. It could be something strange like an ingredient from the taco shack you go to every time you go surfing, or if it is surfing itself at least you'll know.