Why are you a "grappler"

This, but I also do not like punching other people either.

Also you can go balls out almost every day and the injury risk is minimal, compare that to lifting (maxing out every day will burn you out) or striking (concussions for everyone!).
Excellent points. I think you will probably get burned out going balls to the wall every day in grappling, but with striking the only time you can really turn it up is in a comp, other than body sparring I suppose. I get burned out going full on. I take a week's break every 6 weeks like I used to with lifting, to allow my body to recover as well.

I agree about not enjoying punching other people. I'm starting to not even enjoy watching it much in MMA. It's easier to watch it on TV, but when I've watched it IRL I tend to focus on the guy who has just been knocked out, walking around in a daze etc. It's brutal, and that image has stuck in my mind ever since. It's a really unfortunate part of the sport that the guys we are fans of will eventually be destroyed by someone, and not really be the same any more.

Of course, it's no different to football or boxing or pro wrestling. It's a bit unfortunate that grappling is often less crowd pleasing than striking. I might prefer to see an MMA without head strikes, but I'm sure people would think it too lame. It would be a lot better for the athletes though.

I only got a month in before my cancer came back and I had to withdraw. I had surgery on 10/25 and now I'm rehabilitating. I don't know when I'll be able to practice again, but if anything I at least want to sit in on class and observe.
Good luck.

combat sports are the only true sports as it is 1 on 1, a test of pure skill verse another. i never liked team sports, as you can do better than the other team and still lose

Rooster weight pretty much summed it up. I started for physical fitness and the journey has taught me many things I didnt know about myself. I am intense, competitive, and now addicted to this sport, things i never thought i was before.

Back