Yeska805

White Belt
Reaction score
Why do you grapple?

personal fitness.
To grapple at the highest lvl of competition
Getting your ground game for mma.
a hobby for fun and interest.

I'd say for me it'd had to be a bit of all 4.
feel free to add your reason, and how you got into what you do.

I currently do BJJ with and without gi

I dont like getting punched in the face but like to compete

Because Baki told me to be one.

Because I love wrestling and grappling, it seems to flow much easier from transition to transition, and I am much better at understanding grappling technique over striking

I started wrestling in 7th grade because I thought it would make me look tough and it would help girls to like me. I continued to do it because I liked the feeling of competing and winning and the camraderie it brought.

Now I do it to prepare myself to compete in MMA.

when I started it was because I was fat and it was a style where I didn't have to bother with footwork

I'm 30 pounds lighter than I was and I just do it now out of fun

I started wrestling in 7th grade because I thought it would make me look tough and it would help girls to like me. I continued to do it because I liked the feeling of competing and winning and the camraderie it brought.

Now I do it to prepare myself to compete in MMA.

More importantly how'd it work with the ladies?

it was a style where I didn't have to bother with footwork

Um, footwork is pretty important for takedowns. Especially judo takedowns, but wrestling as well. Unless you exclusively pull guard, you need to learn footwork for BJJ, just a different kind than for striking (which itself varies tremendously by style).

I love Judo plain and simple. Striking is my forte but Judo is where my heart is.

I started with a stand up traditional martial art to begin with, saw BJJ, realised how badly one of those dudes could f me up and thought "that is a better martial art I'm learning that now". Started and realised it is also wicked fun as well.

personal fitness.

All of the above.

I did martial arts (karate, TKD) as a kid and I was inspired by Royce Gracie after I got into watching MMA as a die hard.

Now its taken on a whole other meaning. With a lot of shit in my life (school, break up, people), I've got a lot of motivation to get in shape, compete, one day do MMA, and just to occupy my time.

Why do you grapple?

personal fitness.

I'd say for me it'd had to be a bit of all 4.
feel free to add your reason, and how you got into what you do.

I currently do BJJ with and without gi
One, three, and four.

The flow, the strategy and the opportunity to use pretty much every single muscle of your body in a way you didn't think possible. I did kickboxing and not that it's comparable, it just wasn't complete enough.

Below you will find the reasons I train. It's a working list that I posted on my blog quite sometime ago. Some of the reasons are about self improvement, some about vanity, and others are really just statements about life.

Why I Train?

#1. BJJ is great exercise. Training is a full-body weight and cardio workout. In my late teens and early twenties, I was a long distance cyclist. I loved my time on the bike and wouldn't trade the lessons of patience and endurance that cycling taught me. Having said that, I would rather train in BJJ then lift, run, cycle, rock climb, swim, or throw/kick/hit a ball.

#2. BJJ satisfies my competitive nature. I'm a very competitive person, and the act of training gives me a constructive outlet.

#3. BJJ is difficult for me. I have to work - really work hard - to get better at BJJ. I think about it, train hard, and give it everything I can. There are many things I have a talent for and have come easily (academics, business skills, public speaking, etc), but BJJ reminds me that struggling to improve is an important aspect of life.

#4. BJJ accommodates my body type. As someone who is middle age, standing only 5'4" tall and weighing about 118 pounds, I'm not likely to succeed at football, basketball, or most other sports where I'd compete against people 5" - 12" taller than me and 50 - 100 pounds heavier. BJJ has weight divisions, making it perhaps the ideal sport for small guys.

#5. BJJ teaches me patience and perseverance. I was a blue belt for over five years, and expect it will take at least as much time to get promoted to brown. I completed my undergraduate degree in less time than took to go from blue to purple! It requires patience to keep coming to 3 - 4 classes a week and "plod" the road to greater skill and accomplishment.

#6. BJJ removes my anxiety. All my life, I've had anxiety and obsessive compulsive behavior. I found early on that I can moderate this anxiety and OC behavior with extreme physical activity leading to exhaustion or I can medicate it. I prefer extreme physical activity.

#7. BJJ forces intense focus and concentration. I love those life experiences where everything drops away and all I focus on is the task at hand. I'm not distracted by a work issue, not thinking about a conversation I need to have, not thinking about a home renovation. In my life, I've only experienced such intense periods of focus on a regular basis through three activities: training BJJ; cycling; and taking exams.

#8. BJJ makes me a more interesting person. Everyone has hobbies: reading, playing video games, working out, etc. But BJJ is one of the more unique hobbies someone can have. Looking at the rest of my life, it is a hobby most folks would not expect of me.

#9. BJJ introduces me to more interesting people. I don't recall a time when I've met a more eclectic and interesting group of people in one room. At my BJJ gym, you'll find people who have Ph.D's training alongside people who dropped out of high school after getting just D's. You'll find liberal peace-niks spending time with gun-toting conservatives. Law enforcement officers, convicted felons, business owners, government bureaucrats, construction workers, and doctors can all be found at my gym. And they all get along!

#10. BJJ overcomes my petty biases. Because of the great diversity of people BJJ exposes me to, my stereotypes are silently challenged and I find greater commonalities with all types of people now. My world view has broadened significantly because of BJJ.

#11. BJJ fills the time. Assuming a life expectancy of 74.5 years (CIA - The World Factbook 2002 -- United States), I have 652,629 hours to enjoy. Of these, I've used over half (I'm 39 years old). Between now and death, I will hopefully enjoy a little less than 330,000 hours and I need to find a way to use these hours. These hours can be meaningful or meaningless; boring or exciting. I'm going for meaningful and exciting.

Note: in writing this, I realized for the first time that I'm actually about half-way through this journey called life. I experienced a small existential crisis, similar to the feeling I get when I'm on vacation and it's halfway through the week.

#12. BJJ could extend that time. Fit people live longer. I'd love to make it past 74.5 years.

#13. BJJ teaches me that skill beats raw power. When I go up against a white belt who's 50% heavier than me but has no skill, I'm in awe of the fact that skill beats raw power. This is true throughout life: a genius who's never trained his mind is of less use than a person of average intelligence who has pursued education.

#14. BJJ makes me aware of my body. Most people walk around without any aches or pains, and they don't think "I'm lucky that nothing hurts today". With BJJ, some days I'm sore, some days I'm not. Some days a joint hurts, some days it doesn't. Regardless, though, I'm always AWARE of whether I feel pain on a given day.

#15. BJJ teaches me respect for the human body. What a magnificent and beautiful machine the human body is. It can roll, flip, throw others, etc. But move one joint a few degrees in the wrong direction and it's out of commission.

#16. BJJ is primal. The word primal comes from the latin "Primus" (nominative, singular, masculine) for "first". BJJ, like all combat sports, was "first". Before we had bats, balls, frisbees, sticks, pucks, bicycles, etc, we had just our own bodies. Therefore, testing ourselves against another human could only be done through some form of combat sport.

it keeps me in shape and i enjoy it.

I have no dreams about mma (trained it, helped people prepare for fights, i am so over that) nor do i think i will be adcc/mundial champion. I do it because i like it. simple as that

because i tore my mcl in my freshmen year of college football...

More importantly how'd it work with the ladies?

Haha. Turns out girls could've cared less. I think it was actually a negative since half of them thought grappling was gay. They touch on this facet in the thread, "You fight that UFC shit?". I run into a lot of females that say mma looks homo erotic. I have to restrain myself from punching them in the face.

Um, footwork is pretty important for takedowns. Especially judo takedowns, but wrestling as well. Unless you exclusively pull guard, you need to learn footwork for BJJ, just a different kind than for striking (which itself varies tremendously by style).

Because he understand that when he had no training.

Back