Why are people forgetting Diaz is a triathlonathlete and just destroyed Michael Johnson?

Scheme

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
People make it seem like Diaz is a bum fighter like Dada.

Diaz is a triathlon athlete who just destroyed Michael Johnson. His last loss was to the champion in a fight that went to a decision.

Pettis lost 2 in a row.
Cerrone initially accepted then went AWOL, also got demolished by Diaz and RDA (a step down for Conor)
Khabib couldn't fight Ferguson in March, but can all of a sudden fight Conor in February? Plus he has a scheduled fight with Ferguson (contracts matter people)
Ferguson is scheduled to fight Khabib, but would be a good choice other than Diaz. But as far as draw-power, Diaz completely trumps Ferguson.

Diaz is the most marketable fight in this situation, and Conor loves the money.

he hardly destroyed Johnson, it went to a judges decision. 29-28

Nate is one of my favorite fighters and you are willfully ignorant if you don't realize he's the easiest possible matchup for Conor of the available pool of fighters.

Everyone knows Khabib, Ferguson and Alvarez are all excellent wrestlers. Nate is arguably one of the worst wrestlers in the division, perhaps in the history of the division in modern MMA.

He's a pressure boxer with great cardio who's taking this fight coming off the couch. He hasn't sparred since January and was posting pictures from his vacation in Hawaii if you follow him on social media.

Let's just call it what it is - the least dangerous, most fun fight available.

Conor signed up to fight RDA, which is clearly the toughest fight. He didn't get it, and everyone should recognize plan B wasn't 'who is the second biggest challenge.' The criteria changed.

I'm OK with it.

I think a lot of people on here are respecting Nate as an opponent

Well, It would be cool if he was trolling everyone and was in tip top shape. Showed up, out boxed conor, then took him down and strangled the fuck outta him.

Connie fans scrambling to find some way to make this fight meaningful. Just accept it for what it is, a late replacement fight that really isn't all that appealing or significant.Unless, of course, Connie loses ...

Nate's the most marketable fight because he can help hype this fight, it can be at 170 without Nate being a legit 170er (as far as strength goes), and Conor's very, very likely to beat Nate. Which then means that Conor v. RDA or whoever thereafter is even more marketable.

Nate winning this fight does VERY little for the UFC. He's not marketable himself; he's good for one-off hyping events. He's not a company man. Him winning is bad for the UFC -- worse than, say, Cerrone beating Conor. But Cerrone has a much bigger chance of beating Conor than Nate does. So the UFC took this path based on the odds of continuing this Conor marketing train.

I hate Diaz and I am pulling for Conor, but I think people are dismissing Nate completely in this. He is tough, and well conditioned. Diaz could sit on a couch for 4 months, stand up and do a 25 min fight. Weight is not an issue for him now that he doesn't really need to cut and he will be on point with his boxing.

If this hits the ground at some point Conor will be in big trouble. Nate is the bigger guy with amazing BJJ. He has good hands as well if not footwork.

Nate is one of my favorite fighters and you are willfully ignorant if you don't realize he's the easiest possible matchup for Conor of the available pool of fighters.

Everyone knows Khabib, Ferguson and Alvarez are all excellent wrestlers. Nate is arguably one of the worst wrestlers in the division, perhaps in the history of the division in modern MMA.

He's a pressure boxer with great cardio who's taking this fight coming off the couch. He hasn't sparred since January and was posting pictures from his vacation in Hawaii if you follow him on social media.

Let's just call it what it is - the least dangerous, most fun fight available.

Conor signed up to fight RDA, which is clearly the toughest fight. He didn't get it, and everyone should recognize plan B wasn't 'who is the second biggest challenge.' The criteria changed.

I'm OK with it.
In all fairness Conor doesn`t fight guys for the biggest challenge. He fights for the pay day. RDA is a huge challange and not a big payday in of itself but holding two belts at the same time equals a big pay day.

diaz admitted to being out of shape at the press conference. Mgregor is winning this fight I think, I dunno the only time we saw nate diaz out of shape he got embarrassed and destroyed. He is not coming in shape, he has a good chin so it might even be a decision but hes losing this fight i think.

People make it seem like Diaz is a bum fighter like Dada.

Diaz is a triathlon athlete who just destroyed Michael Johnson. His last loss was to the champion in a fight that went to a decision.

Pettis lost 2 in a row.
Cerrone initially accepted then went AWOL, also got demolished by Diaz and RDA (a step down for Conor)
Khabib couldn't fight Ferguson in March, but can all of a sudden fight Conor in February? Plus he has a scheduled fight with Ferguson (contracts matter people)
Ferguson is scheduled to fight Khabib, but would be a good choice other than Diaz. But as far as draw-power, Diaz completely trumps Ferguson.

Diaz is the most marketable fight in this situation, and Conor loves the money.

To answer your initial question: because it is convenient.

I believe that TS' point is that Zuffa should try to sign triathletes to fill in on short notice fights. sounds legit.

Back