Why are Jacare and Roger Gracie only black belts?

I think stripes by ibjj rules are given every three years, once you reach black belt.

according to the ibjj you / ur club has to be a member of the ibjj --you have to renew ur membership every year-- failure to do so one year means you wont get ur stripe

Werdum and Yamasaki have more posts on Sherdog than Roger and Jacare.

Werdum and Yamasaki have more posts on Sherdog than Roger and Jacare.

Yeah what we are not supposed to tell you is that those belts you get for posting reflect your actual skills on the mat.

As others have said, after one receives their black belt, stripe promotions are based on time. The first three stripes on the BB are given over 3 year intervals (9 years to get third stripe). Every stripe awarded after that is based on 5 year intervals. Stripes are only awarded if the BB is actively teaching.

50,000 posts on Sherdog = like 50 stripes, seriously. Seriously though, I do like the idea of advancement based on contribution.

I don't practise BJJ, but have a question; given all that Jacare and Roger Gracie have acheived, why are they only 1st degree black belts?
While Werdum and Almeida are 2nd degree, and Mario Yamasaki is 3rd degree (what did he do in BJJ to deserve that? Serious question..), how are the two greatest grapplers in the world, multiple times Mundials and ADCC winners, not worthy of a higher degree?

If by Almeida you mean Ricardo, is a third degree now. I believe his younger brother Flavio is a 2nd degree.

They are still very young. They have not been black belts long enough to be given there next stripe. Regardless of how good they are in international competition.

Back