Why are Jacare and Roger Gracie only black belts?

paulmacsax

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't practise BJJ, but have a question; given all that Jacare and Roger Gracie have acheived, why are they only 1st degree black belts?
While Werdum and Almeida are 2nd degree, and Mario Yamasaki is 3rd degree (what did he do in BJJ to deserve that? Serious question..), how are the two greatest grapplers in the world, multiple times Mundials and ADCC winners, not worthy of a higher degree?

Yamasaki has been involved in BJJ longer than most have been born

Stripes are not given because you are a better grappler, they are given on the basis of your service to the sport (teaching/passing it on to others)...

So Werdum being a 2nd degree simply means that since getting the Black Belt he has been teaching the art for longer than say a Roger Gracie...

Hence why Rickson is a 7th degree BB because he has been teaching BJJ since he was a teenager.

i doubt Roger/Jacare even mind why they're "only" black belts and tourney wins/accomplishments speak more than that extra stripe.

Stripes are for more of the teaching aspect, in BJJ stripes happen over a long period of time then most TMA....

stripes on a black belt have absolutely nothing to do with competition.

I'll bet that it's because, at this time, they have no priority in getting a higher belt. They can compete with anyone with the black and are just more focused on comp/training right now.

Of course. They hate Jacare because he's black, and Roger because he's white. They both have races, and are mistreated. Blatant Racism.

Yamasaki has been involved in BJJ longer than most have been born

Stripes are not given because you are a better grappler, they are given on the basis of your service to the sport (teaching/passing it on to others)...

So Werdum being a 2nd degree simply means that since getting the Black Belt he has been teaching the art for longer than say a Roger Gracie...

Hence why Rickson is a 7th degree BB because he has been teaching BJJ since he was a teenager.

Too lazy to start a new thread or "search function". What degree black belt is Helio Gracie?

I think stripes by ibjj rules are given every three years, once you reach black belt.

My teacher told me that pretty much anything beyond the Black Belt level is pretty much about what you've contributed for the enhancement of the art.

how many stripes to a red belt like helio

black> red

Back