Why are guys like Josh Parisian in the UFC?

for the same reason highly touted prospects in boxing fight guys like that. to pad their records and to create a highlight reel for the hyped highly touted prospect

He's just there to get TKOd. Lots of fighters are there just to be highlight reels for other fighters with more potential and excitement factor.

Josh is trash-tier.

So you wanna see matchups like OLEKSIEJCZUK vs ROBELIS?
Oleksiejczuk could definitely make 175 lol. And not everybody should be entitled to a UFC roster spot anyway

Isn't the UFC supposed to represent the top tier of MMA fighters? The UFC is devaluing its own brand by flooding its roster with fat guys who don't even pass the muster at the regional levels.

The solution is to consolidate weight classes. Just have 4 weight classes - 135, 155, 175, and openweight. Anybody who can't make 175 at all is a heavyweight, period. The roster size should also have a hard cap.
Yeah that's stupid. Even K1 which was open weight as it gets didn't do that.

Do you seriously think someone weighing 177 should be fighting someone who weighs 265lbs? Also where's the logic? 20 pound jumps and then a huge massive top end weight?
Someone who's 177 could definitely make 155 lol. If you can't make 175 though, that means you're either not trying hard enough or you actually weigh over 205, which is 100% heavyweight territory.

Isn't the UFC supposed to represent the top tier of MMA fighters? The UFC is devaluing its own brand by flooding its roster with fat guys who don't even pass the muster at the regional levels.

The solution is to consolidate weight classes. Just have 4 weight classes - 135, 155, 175, and openweight. Anybody who can't make 175 at all is a heavyweight, period. The roster size should also have a hard cap.

Do you know what a pyramid looks like?

Yeah that's stupid. Even K1 which was open weight as it gets didn't do that.
Do you honestly believe someone like Rakic is too small to fight someone like Josh Parisian?

To differentiate between a Braxton Smith and a Robelis Despaigne.

You need low level bums in every weight class, or nobody ever breaks through.

To differentiate between a Braxton Smith and a Robelis Despaigne.

You need low level bums in every weight class, or nobody ever breaks through.
The breaking through should be done at the regional level. And frankly I'm not sure how Braxton Smith even got to the UFC, he wasn't even the best on the regional level lmao

the purpose is to showcase new talent

Is Rakic 185 lbs?
Okay so you can concede that 205ers at least are big enough to fight heavyweights. I'll still go further and say that middleweights like Adesanya (who has beaten heavyweights in kickboxing before) or Paulo Costa are 100% big enough to fight heavyweights. Paulo has a fight night weight of well above 205, and if he stopped giving a crap about making weight at all, then he'd be well over 230 lol

The breaking through should be done at the regional level. And frankly I'm not sure how Braxton Smith even got to the UFC, he wasn't even the best on the regional level lmao

So, you know your MMA, you've seen the top 5 situation at 155 right?

BSD lost to Poirier, he wasn't quite ready.

Fiziev lost to Gaethje, he wasn't quite ready.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't be in the conversation, BSD and Fiziev absolutely belong, now just expand that logic to the entire division.

You have to give guys opportunities to come in and win fights, you can't JUST sign the best fighters in the world and watch them beat everyone that tries to join the roster, that's dumb.

Okay so you can concede that 205ers at least are big enough to fight heavyweights. I'll still go further and say that middleweights like Adesanya (who has beaten heavyweights in kickboxing before) or Paulo Costa are 100% big enough to fight heavyweights. Paulo has a fight night weight of well above 205, and if he stopped giving a crap about making weight at all, then he'd be well over 230 lol
Kickboxing like boxing,I think the weight differences don't matter as much as they do in mma but it's telling that no one below 230 ever won the GP

So, you know your MMA, you've seen the top 5 situation at 155 right?

BSD lost to Poirier, he wasn't quite ready.

Fiziev lost to Gaethje, he wasn't quite ready.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't be in the conversation, BSD and Fiziev absolutely belong, now just expand that logic to the entire division.

You have to give guys opportunities to come in and win fights, you can't JUST sign the best fighters in the world and watch them beat everyone that tries to join the roster, that's dumb.
I actually like the idea of things being arranged in a quasi-round robin tournament fashion (not an actual tournament though), where the top ranked fighters would be expected to fight not just other top ranked fighters but also newcomers, and it would be expected that the newcomers would be good enough to hang with the top ranked at least. We've seen a lot of staleness at the top of the UFC WW division for example, and it'd be nice to see people mix up opponents.

I'm comfortable with someone like BSD or Fiziev being in the UFC but I still think there needs to be much roster skimming and greater roster turnover.

Kickboxing like boxing,I think the weight differences don't matter as much as they do in mma but it's telling that no one below 230 ever won the GP
My contention here isn't that weight doesn't matter, it's rather that a lot of UFC LHWs and MWs aren't *actually* smaller than UFC HWs, it's just that they take the effort to work off the body fat, diet down, and cut water weight so that they could make 185 or 205. Meanwhile most UFC HWs give 0 f-cks and just walk around at full obesity at all times. So if UFC MWs and LHWs stopped trying to control their weight, they'd be the same size as most UFC HWs. Their success then would boil down mostly to their level of skill.

My contention here isn't that weight doesn't matter, it's rather that a lot of UFC LHWs and MWs aren't *actually* smaller than UFC HWs, it's just that they take the effort to work off the body fat, diet down, and cut water weight so that they could make 185 or 205. Meanwhile most UFC HWs give 0 f-cks and just walk around at full obesity at all times. So if UFC MWs and LHWs stopped trying to control their weight, they'd be the same size as most UFC HWs. Their success then would boil down mostly to their level of skill.
Well I def don't agree. It def does matter. Esp w grappling involved

Back