Whose Style Of Grappling Would You Like To Have and Why?

Guys like Sudo, Gomi, Sato, Tokoro and Imanari and extremely good grapplers. Maybe not the best, but good enough that you would be satisfied to reach their level. In my mind, I would not be willing to become better if it involved boring to death anyone who tried to watch me compete.
Good point because even at their "sloppy" level they would easily crush most anyone other than high level sport competitors should they manage to get the fight to the ground...which they would..other than that they would probably lose to high level grapplers on the mat on the street the chances of being forced into a fight by a world level grappler are pretty slim, I would guess.

So yeah If I could grapple great and look good doing it too thats the type of style I would like.

tudor_bjj said:
2 pages and nobody mentioned the name of the best grappler of our days: Roger Gracie? I'll pick him...

I'll take Roger's old school jiu jitsu, also. Or maybe Saulo Ribeiro's highly technical game.

tudor_bjj said:
The thread it's about whose style you would like, not about the most fun to watch, really cool etc. When you see Roger or Rickson or Marcelo (on top) rolling you understand why they are the best: tight control.
And the vast majority of japanese grapplers are too sloppy. It's like taking tae-bo training instead of muay thai only cause the first is more pleasing to the eye...
Usually the style you like, is the style you find most fun to watch, or cool. I guess you prefer to like the stuff that bores you, which is fine. When I see Imanari or Toida grab someone's leg and come close to ripping it off, I see why they are the best: technique and grace.
And the vast majority of Brazilians are too slow and boring. It's like taking NES video games over PS2 video games, only because the first one is suppose to be a classic. :wink:

Masakatsu Funaki #1 said:
Usually the style you like, is the style you find most fun to watch, or cool. I guess you prefer to like the stuff that bores you, which is fine. When I see Imanari or Toida grab someone's leg and come close to ripping it off, I see why they are the best: technique and grace.
And the vast majority of Brazilians are too slow and boring. It's like taking NES video games over PS2 video games, only because the first one is suppose to be a classic. :wink:
That's what I like about postmodernism: "ripping off" and "grace" in the same sentence...
The style I like it's the style that makes me win. I like to win, either on the street, or the mat. I like to watch Roger or Rickson or Royler or JJ winning. And study their style. Not some flashy-sloppy-loosing-style...

tudor_bjj said:
That's what I like about postmodernism: "ripping off" and "grace" in the same sentence...
The style I like it's the style that makes me win. I like to win, either on the street, or the mat. I like to watch Roger or Rickson or Royler or JJ winning. And study their style. Not some flashy-sloppy-loosing-style...
It takes great skill to rip someones leg off with grace! :p
The style I like, is the style that makes me win, and shows that I am trying to win a bout and not stall the whole time, and being overly patient, wasting 5-6 minutes looking for a single sub, that I might not get! I like to win, either on the street, or the mat. I like to watch Tokoro or Wakabayashi or Sasaki or Sato winning, and study their style. Not some boring-stalling-loosing-style.

Jean Jacques Machado because of his sheer aggresiveness, knowledge and incredible technique. He is always keeping opponents on the defense and going for submissions rather than postion. I also like the way that Tito Ortiz blends his wrestling with sub grappling to create his own style. Very dominant grappler.

if i modeled my style after anyone i'd aim for randy. his takedown and control is top stuff. he might not be bj penn but if you're going for mma then his style is sound.

lol at everyone who says roger is boring. he's looking for a submission the whole fucking time...he makes jacare look like a fucking points-player every time they fight and everyone's got jacare on their list, he submitted EVERYONE at adcc this year in 2 divisions, etc, etc, etc...he's pure finesse, along with marcelo and saulo probably the truest expression of bjj. tell the truth, you havent watched more than 2 of his matches ever.

so anyway, yeah, i'd like to model my style after ROGER, marcelo, saulo, jj machado, and jacare.

i feel so unoriginal tho, so let me just throw in cameron earle and pe de pano to top it off.

Back