Whose better???

It really varies, because it depends on how good the striking is. But at the highest respective levels, they're probably equal.

The elite or very good wrestlers who develop high level striking usually seem to fight with the same strategy as the striker who learned TDD, imo - except maybe when outmatched on the feet (and usually desperate). They tend to want to stand and bang, and good luck getting them down (although their wrestling may be compromised by the time they use it). It's really two sides of the same coin, imo. Typically, the very good striker will rely on the striking, even in rough moments, and the opponent is more likely to try a takedown, and probably fail.

Last edited:
I don't think he was better than everybody at everything but he was better than everyone at something, or a few things. I think he was vastly better at mixing striking and grappling than everyone else. His timing and distance management IMO is what set him apart from his peers.
I was just making a half assed statement to validate him not being fair for the discussion he was at an elite level for all skills.

This all goes in cycles. Bjj was king when mma went mainstream. Then wrestlers ruled for awhile because they figured out how to nullify bjj. Then the sprawl and brawl guys(mostly excellent, accomplished wrestlers themselves) took over because they started stuffing takedowns and keeping the fight standing. It seems like the wrestlers sharpened up quite a bit, and now they're back on top. It's only a matter of time until someone comes along that has a refined sprawl amd brawl approach.

I guess my short answer is that the game is constantly evolving and no 1 style will ever dominate for long. Somebody figures it out eventually. It's inevitable.

Khabib will run into someone that he can't take down and is a better striker than him if he fights long enough. It's just the way it goes.

Back