Who's the next big thing at YOUR academy?

This 17 year old blue belt named Evan at our school is AMAZING! I've only passed his guard like twice EVER lol. Even the brown belts that I've seen him roll with have had lots of problems. He is very flexible. He rarely loses in competition and competes in the adult divisions... and wins.

my old nogi instructor. he trains with the gi and is a purple but was instructing nogi in my school. the kid has taken about 5-7 belts in nogi advanced competitions, never lost a competition match, EVER, and i have been to his academy when he was a blue and was giving the browns and blacks a tough time. The kid is simply amazing and will go very far in the world of bjj. I still train with him and see him from time to time but he doesnt instruct at my school any more:icon_cry2

We have two twin bluebelts who are kicking ass,

Both guys are big lifters and very athletic so not many people can stop them at comps,

Most times they end up first and second place, one of them won adcc pro cup.

Even though he is ducking me hardcore...

The next big thing at our gym if Johnny Munoz, he won the world no gi at blue for his weight and age division. Was silver at worlds twice at youth blue but kinda got robbed both times. He's purple now and starting to compete at adult and everyone will know who he is sooner or later here.

Edit: Oh yeah he won the PanAms at blue as well.

Last edited:
i was thinking about training with this guy. he looks like the next big thing that could shock the bjj/mma world. i did my research to find a great place to train and this guy boroshsonny (Sonny Ny) | MySpace. he says he's "Visiting Boston, hope to attend club Sityuthong for open mat submission on Saturday!". cant wait for him to get back to do "open mat submission" with him.

there are a few blue belts in my class that are just crazy. A guy named Blake dominates me with his guard... the moment he starts to work some other things, he'll be crazy insane. When I get into his guard I get depressed.

Okay. My turn, although there are some serious stories being thrown around on here already. ^_^

Got a kid at the academy who's been training for a year and a half in October. I say 'kid', but he's 21. Anyway, he fought his first competition after about five month's training, winning that, and then his second after six month's training, which was probably the biggest domestic competition of the year, and won his white belt division in four fights, including a final against a two year white belt who is nicknamed 'Rolls' in his academy because of his extreme talent.

He then went to the Europeans at white belt, and won that (after nine month's training), before getting his blue belt.

He went to the World's this year at a year and a couple of month's training, and won three fights, losing in the quarter-final by one advantage to the guy who went on to win the whole thing.

He's now a three-stripe blue belt, training in the advanced class at the academy and tapping purples almost at will, and has tapped browns and even blacks in training. And all of this at a weight of 61kg, with most of his training partners 10 or 15kg heavier than him at least.

I can't really do much with him anymore at all, and I outweigh him by over 10kg, and have been training more than three times as long as him. He hasn't caught me yet, but I'm sure he will at some point, and he's already gotten close too many times.

Keep an eye on him, guys. ^_^

Joe/Joseph Lennon, Roger Gracie Academy.

Take care,

Oli

[Edit: Oh yeah, forgot the rules. He's that good because he trains two or three times a day every day, is surprisingly strong for his size, and is new enough in jiujitsu that he can continue to evolve and be creative. He hasn't settled into familiar habits and patterns yet, simply because he hasn't been training long enough. Or at least, that's how I see it.]

We have a couple of guys 18 years old at blue.
They are champions in my country and are very good.
Tremendous cardio and flexibility, sometimes can give a lot of trouble to purples like me!:D

My friend is probably going to get pissed at me for doing this but o well. His name is John and heis 18 and just got his blue belt from cassios. We go to open mats all the time around the area and he regularly taps purples and almost all the blues. He is very humble and just shrugs off any compliments he gets. I seriously think he believes that he is not that good.

Sean learns physical movements very quickly. I remember we would be at the same private lessons with he and I and he would go and use the move in a tournament that weekend whereas I would take weeks or months to get it functional. He would make up his own stuff and catch guys 2 belts higher than him in tournaments. I remember as a blue he went up against a black belt in a superfight at a local tournament and applied some calf crusher he made up (as far as both of us and our coach knew at the time anyway). If sean hadnt have been a blue belt, he likely would have tapped as he was in quite a bit of pain and started freaking out to get out. He also spends a heck of a lot of time on the mat. Sean obsesses over things such as attempting to solve a rubix cube in world record time, magic, ripping phone books in half, holding his breath for 3 min plus under water ect....jiu jitsu is his biggest obsession of them all and his gift for hyper focusing and physical learning make jiu jitsu just the thing for him.

Dan it was 3:18 i spent underwater to be exact :) and you forgot I was ranked #300 out of 8 million people in Call Of Duty MW2 for Xbox untill everyone started hacking. LMFAO!!!!

Anyways we got a 14 year old in our gym named Joey thats gonna be known for his guard soon. And we got an 11 year old orange belt Andrew who will be a Demon on the mat in the upcoming years. I'm scared of them :icon_cry2

Okay. My turn, although there are some serious stories being thrown around on here already. ^_^

Got a kid at the academy who's been training for a year and a half in October. I say 'kid', but he's 21. Anyway, he fought his first competition after about five month's training, winning that, and then his second after six month's training, which was probably the biggest domestic competition of the year, and won his white belt division in four fights, including a final against a two year white belt who is nicknamed 'Rolls' in his academy because of his extreme talent.

He then went to the Europeans at white belt, and won that (after nine month's training), before getting his blue belt.

He went to the World's this year at a year and a couple of month's training, and won three fights, losing in the quarter-final by one advantage to the guy who went on to win the whole thing.

He's now a three-stripe blue belt, training in the advanced class at the academy and tapping purples almost at will, and has tapped browns and even blacks in training. And all of this at a weight of 61kg, with most of his training partners 10 or 15kg heavier than him at least.

I can't really do much with him anymore at all, and I outweigh him by over 10kg, and have been training more than three times as long as him. He hasn't caught me yet, but I'm sure he will at some point, and he's already gotten close too many times.

Keep an eye on him, guys. ^_^

Joe/Joseph Lennon, Roger Gracie Academy.

Take care,

Oli

[Edit: Oh yeah, forgot the rules. He's that good because he trains two or three times a day every day, is surprisingly strong for his size, and is new enough in jiujitsu that he can continue to evolve and be creative. He hasn't settled into familiar habits and patterns yet, simply because he hasn't been training long enough. Or at least, that's how I see it.]

I train with Rolls daily. I believe Rolls was 15 at the time that fight took place. He's awesome. And is now a very very good blue! He's probably the best up and comer in our gym.

Along with two brothers. THat are national Judo competitors that are aged 13 and 14. Both weigh less than 60kg, and throw EVERYONE. amazing grapplers and certainly one's to look out for. THe older one placed 3rd in tourney which i highlighted after Rolls and Joe.

I'll stay with my own school even though I know of some really good dudes from our affiliates.
Biggest name is gonna be one of my good friends Joe, he's a MMA fighter, who has been out for a year with a knee injury. He is 2-1 in MMA with his loss coming to Charlie Brenneman (Now in the UFC) and he was razor close to submitting him. He is a world class black belt Judoka, a brown belt in BJJ and one of the most athletic guys that I've ever seen, and he has the work etic. We also have one guy nicknamed Cramps who is also entering the fight game and is a beast, It must be something that the feed them at the FDNY lol.
As far as BJJ goes We have a couple of very promising whites, some pretty good blues, and a couple of great purples who are transitioning into MMA. But as far as BJJ I tlhink that I would be considered the next big thing over here, gonna make it happen next year ;)
I am also breeding some amazing talented kids, I've got a crop of 11 year olds that WILL be a problem, those kids scare me lol.

There is a young kid at my gym named Josh, here is a vid of him in action:

He has started competing against the adults now to give him more of a challenge.

I think he excells because he is a student of the game (always coming in with new material to try, and very keen to learn).

The kid rolls like a pro. Very calm and calculated. Much respect.

Strange ending for sure. Didn't look like anything. Also, at like 5:10 it was like Ian wasn't even doing anything. Just let himself get swept like it was practice. Odd.

Ya Ian didn't look like he was all there that match.

I think it was because Daniel had longer hair. It messed with Ian's head. ;-)

If you go by weight, I'm next probably...behind Abe Wagner.

But in all seriousness, I think the next big thing in our school, BJJ-wise, is Drew Dober.

He trains relentlessly, has very good discipline, he's very athletic and fit, and he moves very fluidly. He's a studier of judo, wrestling and BJJ, so his take down game is very good.

I saw Drew Dober fight here in Denver once...if I remember correctly, his stand up is good too.

I think it was because Daniel had longer hair. It messed with Ian's head. ;-)

Yeah, straight battle of the wookies

Speaking of Alliance ATL there's a kid there who is now a purple belt. Was a great wrester and won the worlds at whitebelt from just takedown + guard passing + repeat. He is a bar back at night and just lives at the gym aside from that. Just training all the time and progressing fast as a result.

I outweigh him by quite a bit, but had trouble with him the last time we rolled. Very solid and athletic, but now quite technical as well.

Dan it was 3:18 i spent underwater to be exact :) and you forgot I was ranked #300 out of 8 million people in Call Of Duty MW2 for Xbox untill everyone started hacking. LMFAO!!!!

No, I just told you it was 3:18 to make you feel better. It was actually one min less than that.

Back