Who's the next big thing at YOUR academy?

The next big thing in terms of what?

I'd say my current coach (Andreh Anderson) is, in terms of getting much deserved recognition for being an amazing instructor. I've only been with him for a year but my game has seriously exploded under his tutelage, and I was "decent" before coming to him...but really, and I mean really, he is awesome.

Dude, this is honestly the greatest compliment Ive ever received. Thank you so much, brother.

I don't think we have anyone like that right now. We just got a new blackbelt instructor though so who knows? maybe the change will bring about some beasts.

We have two twin bluebelts who are kicking ass,

Both guys are big lifters and very athletic so not many people can stop them at comps,

Most times they end up first and second place, one of them won adcc pro cup.

From Sweden? Are their last names Svensson?

We've got this guy we call The Badger.

He isn't the most athletic guy, but he's smart and he loves jiu jitsu. He trains 6 days/week.

He still gets smashed in tourneys - but he's only about 19 and he has never worked out in his life. He was a fat little blob when he started and now he's thin. Still not much in the way of muscle.

He is a very technical blue belt right now. Will he be a world champ someday? Probably not. But he is going to be (if he sticks with it to black) an amazing instructor and proponent of the sport. Maybe like a John Danaher type - a secret guru.

Anytime we talk about guys who are getting better, it's him. Purple belts say "Some days I don't feel like coming, but I know if I took a few months off I'd get smashed by the Badger when I return."

He is always doing the right thing, always putting his knee where it needs to be, always moving his hips right - and always learning.

Last week his girlfriend said "You're spending too much time at jiu jitsu." The Badger said "There's the door."

two 12 year old twins train at the place I train at and they are going to go pretty far, one of them has a perfect triangle escape and the other has perfect triangle technique lol, go figure. Hope to see them progress in the future, will be scary!

My best friend has been training for 4 years and just got his Brown belt.

School belongs to a BB of Royler's, Bruno Panno, here is Sydney. Royler was here and he did the formal grading and testing.

His placed 1st in all his comps his entered except for one.

the guy is also a S+C coach, and trains many other serious competitors and fighters. His strength for his weight is ridiculous.

I see him getting his BB very soon. 1-2 years tops.

Okay. My turn, although there are some serious stories being thrown around on here already. ^_^

He then went to the Europeans at white belt, and won that (after nine month's training), before getting his blue belt.

He went to the World's this year at a year and a couple of month's training, and won three fights, losing in the quarter-final by one advantage to the guy who went on to win the whole thing.

He's now a three-stripe blue belt, training in the advanced class at the academy and tapping purples almost at will, and has tapped browns and even blacks in training. And all of this at a weight of 61kg, with most of his training partners 10 or 15kg heavier than him at least.

I can't really do much with him anymore at all, and I outweigh him by over 10kg, and have been training more than three times as long as him. He hasn't caught me yet, but I'm sure he will at some point, and he's already gotten close too many times.

Keep an eye on him, guys. ^_^

Joe/Joseph Lennon, Roger Gracie Academy.

Take care,

Oli

Oli, did this kid fight at 141 or 126.5 @ the Worlds???

We've got this guy we call The Badger.

He isn't the most athletic guy, but he's smart and he loves jiu jitsu. He trains 6 days/week.

He still gets smashed in tourneys - but he's only about 19 and he has never worked out in his life. He was a fat little blob when he started and now he's thin. Still not much in the way of muscle.

He is a very technical blue belt right now. Will he be a world champ someday? Probably not. But he is going to be (if he sticks with it to black) an amazing instructor and proponent of the sport. Maybe like a John Danaher type - a secret guru.

Anytime we talk about guys who are getting better, it's him. Purple belts say "Some days I don't feel like coming, but I know if I took a few months off I'd get smashed by the Badger when I return."

He is always doing the right thing, always putting his knee where it needs to be, always moving his hips right - and always learning.

Last week his girlfriend said "You're spending too much time at jiu jitsu." The Badger said "There's the door."

I laughed everytime I read "The Badger". heh

We got a little guy (a 130 lb brown belt) who is wicked good at our gym. Probably the strongest pound for pound guy too. Fast. Always fun to roll with him because he's a pain in the ass to do anything to.

These two guys:

YouTube - Gameness 2010 Martin Moen vs Sebastian Brosche final -85kg.

Both are three year purple belts with Sebastian (wearing all black in the video) winning - and dominating - both his weight class and the absolute at this year's worlds after three weeks as a purple. Martin was injured at the time, but would probably have made some serious waves too, had he competed. Sebastian has an extensive judo background and has been on the Swedish national team, whereas Martin started his grappling career with BJJ. Both guys train their asses off, not surprisingly.

Okay. My turn, although there are some serious stories being thrown around on here already. ^_^

Got a kid at the academy who's been training for a year and a half in October. I say 'kid', but he's 21. Anyway, he fought his first competition after about five month's training, winning that, and then his second after six month's training, which was probably the biggest domestic competition of the year, and won his white belt division in four fights, including a final against a two year white belt who is nicknamed 'Rolls' in his academy because of his extreme talent.

He then went to the Europeans at white belt, and won that (after nine month's training), before getting his blue belt.

He went to the World's this year at a year and a couple of month's training, and won three fights, losing in the quarter-final by one advantage to the guy who went on to win the whole thing.

He's now a three-stripe blue belt, training in the advanced class at the academy and tapping purples almost at will, and has tapped browns and even blacks in training. And all of this at a weight of 61kg, with most of his training partners 10 or 15kg heavier than him at least.

I can't really do much with him anymore at all, and I outweigh him by over 10kg, and have been training more than three times as long as him. He hasn't caught me yet, but I'm sure he will at some point, and he's already gotten close too many times.

Keep an eye on him, guys. ^_^

Joe/Joseph Lennon, Roger Gracie Academy.

Take care,

Oli

[Edit: Oh yeah, forgot the rules. He's that good because he trains two or three times a day every day, is surprisingly strong for his size, and is new enough in jiujitsu that he can continue to evolve and be creative. He hasn't settled into familiar habits and patterns yet, simply because he hasn't been training long enough. Or at least, that's how I see it.]

Is he competing in Bristol soon, if so I will keep an eye out for him. I honestly don't know how people train that much. My body goes to shit if I train even 5 times a week. I am 29 so I don't think it is due to age.

Think you know him Oli, Lucas Rocha. He fares very well against BBs.

Rhalan Gracie. He doesn't use speed, but he's young, strong, smart, and real technical. He had a couple great matches with Ian Macpherson at the worlds the past 2 years. Should be a black belt soon, and a good one.

I guess, in my last post, I forgot to mention our purple belt, Anthony Carlson.

He just competed in Chicago at the IBJJF and got 1st in his weight class and 3rd in the absolute.

Heck man, I've just starting watching purple belts, but I'm real impressed with Jordan, Benny, Sean, Sebastian, and Alec recently. They make me realize what I need to live up to to be a top purple belt. I've never been one to watch purple belts, but I've really enjoyed watching their vids lately. Mostly thanks to Dan who has posted a lot of Sean and Benny's stuff.

This one's an odd case.

There was a guy at my old Judo team who, as a nikkyu with 4 years of Judo, would kill everyone else on the team, and give the Coach (Godan with 30+ years) "good randori". He would humble visiting low-Dans and if we visited other clubs, usually have his way with some of their best. Needless to say he'd kill me in Randori.

Problem was, he got extremely nervous in front of large crowds and lost more than he won in competition. Hell I almost beat him the one time we fought. I swear if you could have Nationals with no spectators allowed, he'd win.

Back