Who's the best rapper of all-time?

Who's the best rapper of all-time?

• Total voters
Obviously KGR. Big Pun was up there as well but nobody could ever reach Kool G Rap's level of skill.

I could talk for ages about this, but the problem with talking about this kind of thing is that
1 - There is no right answer
2 - most people cannot differentiate between their favorite and greatest

Things like impact, lyrical content, longevity, flow, voice, influence, consistency need to be considered.
A rapper from the last 10 - 15 years cannot be considered in a greatest conversation, come back after a 25 years career and then we can talk.

Greatest for me personally is Rakim. KRS One, Ice Cube, Guru and Chuck D would probably be next.
Kool G Rap and Masta Ace right behind them.
BDK, LL Cool J & Scarface would also be very high on the list. There is no right or wrong place to put them all on the list.

That's not to say they are the BEST emcees, Black Thought is possibly the best ever to do it, but his impact on the scene was restricted for a very long time due to never tasting that commercial success or recognition, though being part of one of the greatest hip hop groups ever.
Let's be honest, a lot of people didn't know who he was until whatever that show he's on picked him & The Roots up (Brooklyn Babylon is a decent movie he was in if anyone is interested).
A guy like AG is also up there for me but will never be considered, Q-Tip also. Kool Keith and Ice-T are top 5 all time favorites for me but will never on a top 10 greatest list.
Rakim, who I consider the greatest, would barely be in the top 10 for me.
Nas is another of the best lyricists on the face of the earth, with one of the dopest flows, and would probably be the youngest 'greatest' rapper alive.

Like AG there are others that will never be considered but are arguably more skillful emcees, guys like J-Live, Asheru, Lil Sci, planet Asia, MF Doom, Phonte.

Mos Def is one of my all time favorites as well, but he will never make the top 10

OK I'm waffling init

No MF DOOM, Del the funky Homosapien or Danny Brown? C'mon OP.

I could talk for ages about this, but the problem with talking about this kind of thing is that
1 - There is no right answer
2 - most people cannot differentiate between their favorite and greatest

Things like impact, lyrical content, longevity, flow, voice, influence, consistency need to be considered.
A rapper from the last 10 - 15 years cannot be considered in a greatest conversation, come back after a 25 years career and then we can talk.

Greatest for me personally is Rakim. KRS One, Ice Cube, Guru and Chuck D would probably be next.
Kool G Rap and Masta Ace right behind them.
BDK, LL Cool J & Scarface would also be very high on the list. There is no right or wrong place to put them all on the list.

That's not to say they are the BEST emcees, Black Thought is possibly the best ever to do it, but his impact on the scene was restricted for a very long time due to never tasting that commercial success or recognition, though being part of one of the greatest hip hop groups ever.
Let's be honest, a lot of people didn't know who he was until whatever that show he's on picked him & The Roots up (Brooklyn Babylon is a decent movie he was in if anyone is interested).
A guy like AG is also up there for me but will never be considered, Q-Tip also. Kool Keith and Ice-T are top 5 all time favorites for me but will never on a top 10 greatest list.
Rakim, who I consider the greatest, would barely be in the top 10 for me.
Nas is another of the best lyricists on the face of the earth, with one of the dopest flows, and would probably be the youngest 'greatest' rapper alive.

Like AG there are others that will never be considered but are arguably more skillful emcees, guys like J-Live, Asheru, Lil Sci, planet Asia, MF Doom, Phonte.

Mos Def is one of my all time favorites as well, but he will never make the top 10

OK I'm waffling init

Rappers who produce their own shit is a big + for me, and I think should be considered in the conversation.

DJ Quik is my all time favorite artist because of his versatility as a producer and an MC. He can play instruments, he can talk box, he can make gangsta shit, party shit. He's no Rakim lyrically but he can really spit when he wants to.

Rappers who produce their own shit is a big + for me, and I think should be considered in the conversation.

DJ Quik is my all time favorite artist because of his versatility as a producer and an MC. He can play instruments, he can talk box, he can make gangsta shit, party shit. He's no Rakim lyrically but he can really spit when he wants to.
I agree, Lord Finesse, Dilla, Odissee, J Zone are all among my favourites, all great producers on the mic

Quik is great, Tonite is one of my all time favourite tunes

th

No such thing as best the shit is too subjective. Do you prioritize lyrics? Flow? Delivery? Content? Out of that list it's either 2Pac Nas or 3000 for me. For this thread Ill go with Pac, for the influence All Eyez On Me had on a young me.

After waffling back and forth, I threw my vote down for the Teacha, the legendary God of Rap, KRS-One

Best in what? Lyrics? Rhyme? Speed? Rhythm?

If it’s rhythm, then I gotta give my man Tech a shout - he’s the OG master

If it’s musical diversity - then Kanye has it, the dudes done rap, rnb, an industrial album, a weird gospel album.

Eminem is the master at rhymes, and has some damn good speed as well.

Do MCs count - coz this guy has great flow:

Last edited:
No such thing as best the shit is too subjective. Do you prioritize lyrics? Flow? Delivery? Content? Out of that list it's either 2Pac Nas or 3000 for me. For this thread Ill go with Pac, for the influence All Eyez On Me had on a young me.

True it's very subjective. But I thought I'd make a poll just for fun sake. :)

Back