Whos giving Melendez (The true #1 LW) a chance against Benson?

marksmen

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I think he can out wrestle Benson and give him a go for that strap. He didnt look great against Thompson last fight but I think he just had an off night. Dont get me wrong, if Bendo mauled Gil I would not be surprised as it will show how SF comp stacks up. I got Gil via Wrestling. Thoughts?

Only fools and the Diaz bro's think he can win. He is not ufc material.

Only fools and the Diaz bro's think he can win. He is not ufc material.

Now this is just plain ignorance, of course he's UFC material but he's not the true number 1 lightweight nor does he stand much of a chance at being champ, that being said neither do most people at LW, so he definitely belongs if you ask me.

not me that's for sure, I see Bendo dominating him for all five rounds

Via wrestling?... really? If Gil were to beat Bendo it wouldn't be because of wrestling.

I said this before and I'll say it again (though I'll probably gonna get flamed because of this again). Melendez hasn't beat anybody near the caliber of the UFC's top 5 LW. He has a streak but that's it.

Put him up against Maynard for a test.

Last edited:
i dont like bendo at all i want him to fight someone that can nullify his wrestling and make it a stand up match.

I think Melendez wins but IMO it won't be with wrestling, Melendez will out strike and outwork Henderson to a decision.

I think this will be a very competitive fight though and the people who don't give Melendez a chance are being foolish, Melendez has been a top fighter for a long time.

I would like to see him get a tune up fight then fight BH, I want to see him at his best - not after a layoff

that probably won't be Gil

Why not? Melendez is one of the better wrestlers at LW and one of the few guys that stuffs over 70% of takedowns, if he is going to win I think it will be by stuffing the takedowns and busting Henderson up.

I don't know if he has what it takes but I'm hoping....I mean, a fucking toothpick?!? Laaame

Why not? Melendez is one of the better wrestlers at LW and one of the few guys that stuffs over 70% of takedowns, if he is going to win I think it will be by stuffing the takedowns and busting Henderson up.

I just see Bendo mixing his strikes up too much where he would be able to take him down

I think Gil vs Benson is the most important fight at LW right now. I also would love to see Chandler or Alvarez fight either of the two.

I think he can out wrestle Benson and give him a go for that strap. He didnt look great against Thompson last fight but I think he just had an off night. Dont get me wrong, if Bendo mauled Gil I would not be surprised as it will show how SF comp stacks up. I got Gil via Wrestling. Thoughts?

I think people feel too familiar with Bendo, thinking he is more beatable than he is, while Gil is still a bit unknown, aside from the couple of stellar performances against known guys. I think the reality is that Gil is poorly suited to challenge Bendo. Bendo is big, like Gil, but stronger, quicker, more technical, more active in the cage, has a deeper gas tank, is way more dynamic, has way better jits, and can out wrestle Gil. This is a nightmare for Gil. There are few top guys that Bendo is so well suited to finish. Bendo will have issues with guys with freakish size and wrestling (Maynard), freakish quickness (Edgar), freakish dynamicism (Pettis), or freakish BJJ (Penn), but Gil is poorly matched up for Bendo. I predict an ugly and quick finish of Gil. On the bright side, at least it will be huge for Bendo, if it goes the way I think it will. I think Gil beats everyone else in the division.

Back