Who's a boxer in here?!?!

MMAfan9000

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey You guys whats up Im Jacob and I just started boxing a little over a month ago. I had pirror back yard experience but decide I wanted to learn how to do it right!!! I go down to my gym 3-4 days a week sometimes more if I can. I dont really have a trainer I need extra money for that. so when i go down there I do quit a bit of bag work. first just working on my technique. Then go about three rounds all out on the heavy bag but i make sure I dont get sloppy. I also sparr as much as I can. the guys i spar with have piror boxing experience which is good. every time I sparr with them. I do fairly good just stick and move and press the action on them and every time we are done I get there input on what mistakes I make and we go over it. I tend to wanna brawl which is not good, but i have been catch myself befoe i do that.

But anyways I just wanna hear about what you guys do for training and how boxing is coming a long for you. I dont care if you have been doing it for 10 years or a few weeks, I just wanna know how different boxers train and there stories. I also need to get on a strength and training routine something for beginners. I also work on cardio.

Also who in here has competed in amature events? There is one in september out at my local fair grounds one of the guys at my gym said I should do it. I never talked to the guy since the other day. I was wondering how long are the rounds.

honestly the most cost effective way is look up some instructionals online

take 2 techniques and work on those speficially when you go
that should be a good six moves a week
then the following week
work on them again
try to use them in sparring
see what you like and see what doesnt work for you

basically constantly come back to the same moves
look at angles you can hit them from
what angles you cant
so on and so forth

ALSO: watch the higher up boxers do their sparring
and how they work the bag
and what drills they do
and imitate it

and about the amateur events
usually they are three 2 minute rounds
sometimes it will be three 3 minute rounds
depending on the level of amateur ive noticed

hope that helps for now

Thanks man you posted on my last thread. Yeah I do watch some of the other guys at my gym sparr. It is amazing how some of them move around around so well.

so are you a boxer?

My main focus since i started training has been MMA
so i started with judo
and to add in the striking aspect i went to a pure boxing gym

i wouldnt call myself a boxer seeing as im no sugar ray robinson hahaha

but i trained it for a good 3 years now

also keep in mind that as good as they look
it's all just experience which means you can get there as quick as you want by just putting time in the ring and training

as i had to remind myself when i started training to never get discouraged

kind of think of it as a job
the people that have been working there for 5 years and make 15 dollars an hour
then theres people that just started and make little over minimum
in time youll surpass the 15

Man I never good discouraged not yet anyways. I leave that gym each day feeling more confident and them guys I was talking about I jump in every chance to spar with them. I never do bad either they tell me im awesome but sometime i think they b.s me, but who knows. I think each time I spar i get my comfortable and experienced.

thats really good

some people get stuck in that phase and it gets to them

once they get past that they just sky rocket

the day may come when you have a bad day training

but remember its just one bad day

I've been boxing for about a year, on and off because of school. I'd take a month break here and there.

My gym is pretty much free. The coach is an old irish guy who has the same attitude as clint eastwood from million dollar baby. Sterotypical old school boxing coach.

Our training consists of lots of jump rope, sit ups, pushups, and tons of shadow boxing and bag work. The guys who compete a lot will get some time on the mits with the assistant coaches (the head coach is too old to do that shit).

The sparring is usually medium or hard sparring. Sometimes it sucks when you get put in with a guy 40+ pounds heavier. I love it though. It feels great getting hit in the face and knowing it was a nearly full force punch and you're still standing there. I got used to the pressure really quickly and I enjoy the pat on the back from the coaches when I leave the ring with a bloody nose.

The whole year I've pretty much focused on just my jab and cross and all the combos and footwork that come with em. I am starting to feel like those two punches have come along very nicely, especially since I saw a video that I recorded 3 years ago of me doing shadow boxing when I was just starting Krav Maga as my first striking art. Holy shit what a difference. There is nothing like having an experienced coach watch you shadow box and correct your technique day in and day out.

If you want a good instructional btw, I highly recommend all of Rodney King's CM tapes, including the seminars and his sparring 101 tape. I don't actually use his style, but there are some very nice concepts that he covers that are extremely important in boxing that I have not seen in other instructionals (and I have watched a shitload of instructionals). He is also very charismatic and his tapes are enjoyable to watch even if you know the material. You won't learn how to properly throw punches from these tapes but you will learn some very interesting things, especially when it comes to getting hit in the head and body.

and about the amateur events
usually they are three 2 minute rounds
sometimes it will be three 3 minute rounds
depending on the level of amateur ive noticed

hope that helps for now

Nope. Amateur matches are 2 minute rounds. "Novice" division is 3 2 minute rounds, and "Open" division is 4 2 minute rounds.

did you box as an amateur? If so, do they test for teh aids?

Just smokers and exhibitions. I plan to have my first sanctioned amateur fight this year. This article is a bit dated, but it looks like amateur boxing doesnt test, nor prohibit HIV-positive athletes from competing. At the time the article was written, several states had adopted testing for professional boxers. However, amateur boxing being a less bloody sport, no plans to adopt testing or prohibitons had been planned...

Sports avoid AIDS panic - avoid mandatory AIDS testing | Insight on the News | Find Articles at BNET.com

Just smokers and exhibitions. I plan to have my first sanctioned amateur fight this year. This article is a bit dated, but it looks like amateur boxing doesnt test, nor prohibit HIV-positive athletes from competing. At the time the article was written, several states had adopted testing for professional boxers. However, amateur boxing being a less bloody sport, no plans to adopt testing or prohibitons had been planned...

Sports avoid AIDS panic - avoid mandatory AIDS testing | Insight on the News | Find Articles at BNET.com

that sucks ass. I mean i know im being a priss about it. But at least it would give me piece of mind, knowing that the guy across the ring from me trying to kill me, isnt going to kill me literally with his blood after the fight is over. Thats fucking cheating.

as others have said watch the people that are better than you. you learn and get inspired at the same time. you will eventually hit a rut but just keep working it will pass

I started boxing a couple of years ago. I used to play sports like rugby league, soccer, basketball etc until I realised that I wanted to play a sport that required more than one ball. I have developed a hate over the years for mankind which stems from my own inadequacy but bocing helps me release all my frustrations and keeps me from hurting people. It has given me everything. Self confidence, strength, stamina, discipline, respect and has made me realise that boxing IS what I want to do with my life. I have a fair few fights, but not enough for my liking.

At the moment I am searching for a new gym. I was originally going to train with a mate of Tam Tam's (a poster in the boxing forum), but he is training for a pro fight and doesn't really train fighters anymore. I am thinking of going and training at the gym that he trains at but it is a fair distance away. I might check it out this week.

Make sure you do your Roadwork. The best conditioning exercise on the planet for boxing.

I started boxing about half a year ago as an offshoot of my Muay Thai in a quest to get better hands so to speak.

But boxing is awesome, I absolutely love it both watching and doing it and now actually would like to someday compete in strictly boxing as an amatuer

I also love the history of American boxing as well. Absolutely fascinating sport filled with so many great characters, so many great stories from this last century of awesomeness.

been boxing 5 years been out of it for 6 months past 3 months been doing 2 a days 6 days a week.....lil over 30 recorded bouts with around 10 exhibitions....am now getting into jui-jitsu after becoming an mma fan and laughing at the stand up most dudes have....its not that they cant throw proper punches its just most pros dont understand the subtle fients, hooks, counter punching i have learned by training only boxing everyday....gonna be kicking ass taking names here in bout 6 months rly wanna get my ground game up to par....actually wrestled 2 years in high school am 18 now training like a madman:icon_twis

I was originally going to train with a mate of Tam Tam's (a poster in the boxing forum), but he is training for a pro fight and doesn't really train fighters anymore.

You talking about Peden?

Back