Whole Milk Discussion

KOU In3

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The butter vs. margarine thread left me thinking a bit so I thought I'd start this one to be difficult.

With a lot of posters endorsing butter as not just being better than margarine but actually being good for you, wouldn't it then follow that whole (full fat) milk would be equally beneficial? Both essentially contain milk fat so...

So does it follow that if butter is good for you, that for those looking for easy extra calories, switching from skim to full fat milk (obviously provides some extra calories) would not be a health concern?

well you've guessed right. Whole milk or unpasturized milk is very healthy. infact if you can find it, gab it. it's like the best food you could possibly find and would kick the crap out of any potien shake you could buy in terms of what it can do for your health.

problem is finding it, not many farmers are willing to sell milk straight from the cow, tends to go bad quicker.

My bad, I should have clarified better. I'm still talking about pasteurized milk from the grocery store.

Skim milk, 1%, 2%, full fat (or I'd always heard termed 'whole' milk).

Same principle for my question if we were talking about 2% milk for instance though.
Sorry for the vague usage of the term 'whole' there.

yeah there is no real difference when talking 1% to homo milk. it's all the same with different fat levels

yeah there is no real difference when talking 1% to homo milk

LOL@ homo milk.

Where the Hell does that come from?

from a bull that likes other bulls... it's not really "milk", if you catch my drift...

Meaning Homogenized milk. LOL!

Come now brudda, I know what it means. But I used to get a kick out of the Farm Store signs I saw as a kid.

"HOMO MILK $2.59!!"

King Kabuki said:
Come now brudda, I know what it means. But I used to get a kick out of the Farm Store signs I saw as a kid.

"HOMO MILK $2.59!!"

I seriously figured you did but just wanted to be sure. LOL!

Wolverine
///

KOU In3 said:
My bad, I should have clarified better. I'm still talking about pasteurized milk from the grocery store.

Skim milk, 1%, 2%, full fat (or I'd always heard termed 'whole' milk).

Same principle for my question if we were talking about 2% milk for instance though.
Sorry for the vague usage of the term 'whole' there.
No real difference in effect. I've actually been on a tour of a dairy plant and it was pretty cool. All milk goes from a 'raw'(straight from the cow) milk silo through a separator which removes the cream from the milk leaving you with skim milk and unpasturized cream. Then depending on the % of butterfat you want the milk to be (i.e. 1%, 2% or 3.25%) a certain amount of unpasturized cream is blended back in.

The actual difference in the amount of unpasturized cream between each of the different percentages is very small.

So if one were to switch from skim milk to 2% milk to get some extra calories, would this be considered a healthy or unhealthy fat source?

I.e. Getting extra calories from bacon... bad
Getting extra calories from peanut butter... good.

Extra calories from milk fat is...?

Who argued that butter is good for you? Urban? Don't take him seriously, he's a chicken farmer.

Butter is bad for you. Butter is not good fat calories. Better would be eggs and fish (rich in Omega 3's) or natural peanut butter, avocado, olives, nuts, oils, and others.

I like whole milk for adding extra calories, but not too many. You don't want the bulk of your fat coming from animals or animal sources.

Who argued that butter is good for you? Urban? Don't take him seriously, he's a chicken farmer.

Actually I thought he farmed crops for breakfast cereals or something of the like.

If everyone listend to Urban, we would all be eating 40 eggs a week fried in butter to go with beefhash fried in bacon fat. :D

KOU-
Whole milk is just that, whole (or as much as they lead us to believe). closer you get to whole food the better, right?

More of what makes it milk is still intact. In my mind thats better than them taking away good stuff, even if it's in the fat.

Yomon-
I drink whole milk and eat real butter. I buy it from a real health food store. Sometimes goats milk. I always buy the Amish butter, big fuckin hand formed log. The goats milk is ok when mixed with some protein but alone is bad. It's ok in oatmeal, but that defeats the purpose of drinking goats milk.

Just so I read you correctly, Chad, you're saying that Goat milk tastes bad in it's pure form?

Olive oil for frying, not deepfrying though... keep of that!
1,5% milk, not full (which in Sweden is 3%)

Valgarv said:
Just so I read you correctly, Chad, you're saying that Goat milk tastes bad in it's pure form?

Well hell yeah it tastes bad.

Valgarv said:
Nothing that is good for you tastes good. Sheesh, that's common knowledge.

Back