Who would you take in Askren vs. Shields?

[YT]pphX7Gh-OC8[/YT]

Good show, Dynamatex.

Gat Damn, play all the wonky music in the back you want, and it was still boring. And those were the HL's.

They are both great at what they do. They are great grapplers.

In MMA, neither guy means much.

If they fight anyone with solid TDD, they are deer in headlights.

Off of a controversial win over Kampmann (I thought Martin won), Jake got an immediate title shot. His best moment? When he felt GSP's brain fissures via eyepoke.

Dude, these guys aren't MMArtists/fighters. They're straight up grapplers who do well because they are Very strong in one area.

Shields by superior striking

Barney-s-self-five,237

Shields by superior striking

Barney-s-self-five,237

HAHAHAHAHAHAH... I'm spitting beverage out my nose reading this, the only time I can read this and think it might be true.

Jake would actually have a clear striking advantage, and if it goes to the ground I would also favor Jake.

Haha no thanks, if Askren comes over I hope they feed him to a powerful striker with awesome TDD, someone like Ellenburger.

Half the WW division would KO that blanket. Askren is the most one dimensional fighters the division has ever seen.

Askren is an appreciably better wrestler. I see him getting top position more often than not.

shields would probably figure out a way to win, maybe submit askren.. askren hasnt faced super elite level grapplers before

Shields will go out on his Shield and sleep on it

jake tapped him via guillotine at least once in that vid. I seen it :eek:

but I would rather take a math quiz than watch a shields fight.

Idunno Askren is a better wrestler toss up with that style

Askren takes Shields down and Shields won't take Askren down. I dont think Shields has anything really great off his back to beat Askren with aside from a guillotine on Askren's shot attempts. I like Askren in this fight.

Askren would beat Shields in a cover-your-eyes awful fight via superior positioning.....

If you want to give Askren somebody other than GSP right away, make it another wrestler who can actually punch (eg - Hendricks, Kos, Pierce, Ellenberger, Woodley, etc.).

Personally, I like the idea of Askren vs. St. Pierre after Georges outpoints Johny--which you all know is going to happen. We would finally get another chance to see GSP use his striking to beat the crap out of somebody.

Last edited:
I pick shields by a close one
Also have to remember askren hasn't fought the same level of competition as shields has
Shields has a lot more experience

Mostly I just want to see him fight anyone with a good ground game. I mean he really does have a "funky" style and I cant wait to see if it translates once he starts fighting better competition.

No wonder wrestling was scrapped from the olympics considering the little amount of love a grueling grappling match gets from fans here on Sherdog

Back