Who would you take in Askren vs. Shields?

No wonder wrestling was scrapped from the olympics considering the little amount of love a grueling grappling match gets from fans here on Sherdog

Dude I think you kind of overestimate the power sherdoggers have over the Olympic committee.

30-27 Shields.

Askren blankets guys with no wrestling backgrounds, Shields did it to Hendo and Maia.

Last edited:
I would take Askren by split decision in quite possibly the most boring combat sports competition ever conceived of.

I think Askren takes Jake down and Jake either scrambles or sweeps to top position and trolls Sherdog for 3 rounds, kind of like the Maia fight.

But who knows, Askren's pretty untested, he might just be a prodigy.

Still, no one's ever outgrappled Jake Shields in an MMA fight after all these years.

I got Jake via his BJJ being way ahead of Ben. If Jake can sweep and reverse Maia, then Askren on top control shouldn't be a problem

If even Maia couldn't outgrapple Shields, I have a hard time seeing Askren do it. If Jake can sweep Maia of all people, he should be able to do it to Askren - and I didn't rewatch that vid of Jake-Askren grappling, saw it a long time ago but IIRC Jake swept Askren multiple times in that vid? Am I misremembering?

I'm sure Askren has improved since then but I still see Jake sweeping him if taken down...and yes, Jake most definitely has the striking advantage here.
Jake would actually have a clear striking advantage, and if it goes to the ground I would also favor Jake.
Agreed.

I think Shields wins 30-27 or 29-28.
This, they train together, prolly won't want to hurt each other. Which is to say, they're fine to fight.
Aww schnap!! You just had to go there :p
I would take Askren by split decision in quite possibly the most boring combat sports competition ever conceived of.
I was going to say you've clearly never watched Olympic boxing, but then...this is Shields-Askren. So it could actually be true :eek:

Forget shields... wait till Nick Diaz wants to return and sign him to fight Askren.

...yeah I just want to watch Nick have an aneurysm after being laid on for another 5 rounds :icon_twis

Forget shields... wait till Nick Diaz wants to return and sign him to fight Askren.

...yeah I just want to watch Nick have an aneurysm after being laid on for another 5 rounds :icon_twis
Diaz stuffed almost half of GSP's takedowns.

He also showed great TDD against Sherk back in the day.

Diaz has very underrated TDD, when he bothers to use it. His problem is mixing it up - it seems he either gets stuck in striking/BJJ guard mode, or in TDD mode.

Askren is a very winnable fight for Diaz IMO. Especially if it's 5 rounds - I have very little doubt Diaz has better cardio than Askren.

well then their is the fact that the UFC was clearly trying to feed Shields to Maia IN BRAZIL...

and Shields was also brought in to lose to Jake

Cesar Gracie JJ tho

Askren vs Shields is an absolutely pathetic main event, anyone who thinks that is a possibility is BUGGING

why not Kennedy is on main event with only one win in UFC fighting Natal who was probably only fighting on prelims

Looks like Jake was a hair better in the training session

They will both lose any fans they had in the most boring fight ever.

Pillow fists for both with neither likely subbing the other?

Did you watch Askren's last two fights? Not boring at all.

I don't watch anything where there is no chance of a fight breaking out, so I don't watch Jake Shields fights anymore.

Shields has been beating elite grapplers his entire career. Askren hasn't even fought any GOOD grapplers, let alone elite. Yeah, I'm going with Shields.

All this talk of how Askren is so boring. Do you guys know that he's finished his last two fights? His ground and pound has improved dramatically.

Back