Who were your first favorite fighters?

Pretty much my list since I started watching long ago. Frye, Dan, Pat Smith, Hackney, Ruas, Varlens are other I'd add to the above list.

Awesome that you mention Keith Hackney. I went to high school with his son. We were friends, and I think he sparked my interest in mma if I can remember correctly. That was so long ago lol.

Pretty much my list since I started watching long ago. Frye, Dan, Pat Smith, Hackney, Ruas, Varlens are other I'd add to the above list.
How can I sum up the good old 90's, before people trained the UFC... Everybody thought they were Pat Smith but most found out they were Ninja Morris real quick :)

First: K. Shammy, Tank, Royce, Severn, Oleg, Frye (Early PPV and renting at Hollywood and Blockbuster in the 90s).

90s fans are going to have to fess up to renting the same UFC VHSs repeatedly, you know it's true.

Then next gen: F. Shammy, Bas, Rizzo, Saku, Nog, Fedor, Bustamante, Wandy

Awesome that you mention Keith Hackney. I went to high school with his son. We were friends, and I think he sparked my interest in mma if I can remember correctly. That was so long ago lol.
Awesome, man. Would have been cool having a mates dad in NHB. Hope you go to meet him.

I loved the Kempo style & his movement, plus making mash spuds for Joe Son. Wish he had more fights.

During the time you went to school with him, did he ever try to punch you in the balls?

How can I sum up the good old 90's, before people trained the UFC... Everybody thought they were Pat Smith but most found out they were Ninja Morris real quick :)
For sure. More style vs style back then. Can't get away with that now as they are mostly well cross trained. Frank Shamrock was probably the best example of an early MMA cross trained fighter.

Rashad Evans, he was so consistently one of the best at LHW for years, and just a cool guy. Shame his career wrapped up the way it did.

During the time you went to school with him, did he ever try to punch you in the balls?

lol! If I remember correctly, he didn’t really like the UFC. He was more of a skateboarder type kid and so was I. But, I ended up loving mma.

Summer 2009. Brock vs Mir II and Silva vs Forrest got me into MMA. Then I became a big Jon Jones fan.

Rashad Evans, he was so consistently one of the best at LHW for years, and just a cool guy. Shame his career wrapped up the way it did.
tumblr_mrhmapQvyj1rrshcdo1_250.gif

If I can pre-MMA Mike Stone and Steve Anderson. Side effect of being old enough to fart dust.

Turned out to be a shithead.....but Gerard. To this day those first couple televised strikes in the UFC remain among the most impactful I've seen. Then he came out and beat Rozier with pumpkin fist and watermelon foot an hour later.

Mark Hunt - all the kickboxing wars, eating Cro Cop's LHK, and atomic butt dropping Wanderlei

The Emelianenko bros - Alexander's KO's of Ricardo Marais and James Thompson were fuckin immaculate, and the first Fedor fight I saw was VS. Kevin Randleman. Nuff' Said.

My first favorite fighters were Oleg Taktarov and Marco Ruas.

I had no idea how tough people could be until I saw Taktarov outlast and defeat Tank Abbott, who was knocking people into seizures.

A little while later I saw Marco Ruas chop down Paul Varelans with leg kicks. It was the first high level striking I had ever seen.

Royce , Frank and Ken , Bas , Tank , Coleman and Kerr

But probably Tito for the showmanship
Throw Ruas in the there and you have the perfect list. I had such a man-crush on him.

But I hate tito...

BJ Penn, Nick Diaz. These guys were so fun to watch wherever the fight went. I was impressed with how talented they were. They could piece guys up and they could submit them. They both were gutsy and didn’t shy away from a scrap.
BJ Penn was my favorite fighter for a long time

Chuck

Joe Lauzon - I was a noob at the time and had no idea who Jens Pulver was, they were making out like Lauzon had no chance, came right out and starched him

Cain

Poatan
Huge Lauzon fan. He's incapable of having a boring fight.

Back