Who was the more impressive champion: Serra or Bisping?

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
Both got their belts taken by GSP

Serra beat a far better fighter to get the belt

Bisping has one defense, but it was against an ancient Hendo and arguably a robbery

So both are pretty lame title runs
but they got their belts in very shocking and impressive fashion

Which was more impressive

I say Serra

It's hard to pick between two of the worst champs ever.

Serra's time as champion was 9 minutes and 45 seconds of getting his ass kicked. As sad as it is, Bisping was the better champion.

Serra because he made prime GSP tap to strikes and was outstriking him before he rocked him

Both got their belts taken by GSP

Serra beat a far better fighter to get the belt

Bisping has one defense, but it was against an ancient Hendo and arguably a robbery

So both are pretty lame title runs
but they got their belts in very shocking and impressive fashion

Which was more impressive

I say Serra
the only difference is that Serra was supposed to fight for the belt.
Bisping was a last-minute undeserving replacement.

Look at the odds for Serra vs GSP.

Everyone laughed at the idea of Serra beating GSP, yet alone finishing him. Biggest upset in MMA history

Serra was far superior since he actually rematched and didn't run with his tail between his legs.

Bisping, the guy was showing high level striking in his Silva and title fight..... he just seemed to fall out of prime for the Hendo fight

I'm going with Bisping because he held the title longer & he successfully defended it once ( even if the decision was somewhat dodgy ). And I'd have to go with Bisping as having a better overall career as well. He had a lot more fights & better wins on his resume too.

Bisping, this place shits on him like no other but he knew exactly what to do to beat Rockhold, no luck involved. He'd have pulled it off in the first fight but he suffered a cut above his good eye in training and the clash of heads in that fight opened it up effectively leaving him blind, he couldn't see shit.
Second fight was obviously different, nothing lucky involved.
Henderson rematch, Dan was heavily outworked, what he landed was fucking devastating but Mike took it and carried on, Dan worked and accumulative 2 minutes in that fight, not enough to win.
An awful lot of you have serious disrespect for a man that fought clean his entire career, fought so many PED abusers and sacrificed an eye and a knee to get his belt and all because he told your favourite fighter to get fucked.

Bisping is an awesome fighter and definitely one of the most underrated fighters of all time.
I'd say he beats Rockhold 5/10 times whereas Serra would beat GSP 1/100 times.
Much respect to both fighters and what they accomplished, but Bisping takes this one.
Beating Silva, Rockhold and Hendo is an impressive run he had there even if Silva and Hendo were beyond their best years, but remember Bisping wasn't a spring chicken at that time either.

Serra's win had a much greater degree of luck to it than Bisping.

I'm going with Bisping because he held the title longer & he successfully defended it once ( even if the decision was somewhat dodgy ). And I'd have to go with Bisping as having a better overall career as well. He had a lot more fights & better wins on his resume too.

That's almost like saying Conor Mcgregor is the best 145 lb champion in UFC history because he beat Aldo and then held the belt from Dec 2015 to October 2018.

Bisping did not fight a top 10 MW after winning the belt. This is 100% a fact. By that point Dan Henderson's best years were long behind him when they fought for the second time. Anybody with a pair of eyes and a brain could see this. He was ranked 13 at MW after beating Hector btw.

Even in hindsight Serra's win over GSP is still move impressive.

Back