Who thinks we are doing the right thing and who thinks the world is overreacting?

So, not me then.

Don't use the word you to include people unrelated to the situation.

Now, since you're against communism, you're sending back the money, yes?
To be philosophically consistent.

Or is there communism you like?
The government is the one preventing me from earning a living, so the government owes me compensation. And frankly, they owe me a lot more than they're giving me.

The government is the one preventing me from earning a living, so the government owes me compensation. And frankly, they owe me a lot more than they're giving me.
So would that be "Yes, communism is terrible and I'm sending back the money!" or is it "I'm keeping my communist money from the government!"
?

What policies?
oh so you're for universal healthcare, raising the top marginal tax rates, regulating the banks, enforcing anti trust laws and busting up monopolies, strengthening unions, busting up the financial industry, overturning citizens united, campaign finance reform, and strengthening corporate regulations as a whole?

My god its like talking to a toddler. You can't even follow a linear conversation.

I have no idea. But it's starting to look like at some point in the next couple of months, the world is just gonna have to say "FUCK IT" and just go about our lives. Scary. But I'm going full Hazmat.

Yes, it's fine to go to a grocery store where those things are sold.

Your point?
That people refuse to be inconvenienced and make special trips to buy garbage like that, exposing themselves to everyone.
Thats sort of why I've found myself wondering if the lockdown is a waste of time. I said before, too many people are treating stay at home orders like a vacation and aren't doing anything different other than not going to work.

bro

full

Lol.

How many names has he had? Yorkist, Cunningham, and now Obamaphonelady?

That people refuse to be inconvenienced and make special trips to buy garbage like that, exposing themselves to everyone.
Thats sort of why I've found myself wondering if the lockdown is a waste of time. I said before, too many people are treating stay at home orders like a vacation and aren't doing anything different other than not going to work.
Michigan has the most restrictive measures going.
We have a lot of cases too though.

I clearly see both sides.

My sister and her husband own a business that depends in part on them traveling internationally.
She detests the lockdown and is afraid for her business.

I don't often feel badly for politicians, but across the country everybody's got to make their call and hope it works out in the end.

We're all a bit blind yet.

Sweden didnt close anything and they're doing the same if not better than us

That is a real world example you can use to compare data with

How big is Sweden?

It's nice that their citizens are so responsible that they follow the social distancing guidelines. I don't see that happening much here in my town.

So am I for government overreach and expanding big government? No. Of course not.
that is not what I asked you.

I asserted that YOU support policies and economics that are turning the US into the third world and allow for tens of thousands of Americans to die annually from our broken healthcare system.

You responded by saying "I support none of those things"

I asked you "oh you don't, so you support XYZ?"

You don't support policies XYS, therefore you support turning the US into the third world and allowing tens of thousands of Americans to die.

P -> Q
~Q
______
~P

hope this helps

The same or better? Out of 760k cases in the US, we've had 40k deaths. We've got 112k known resolved cases - 40k/112k =36% mortality in resolved cases.

Sweden has had 1500 deaths out of 15k cases. There have been 2000 known cases closed - 1500/2000=75% mortality in resolved cases.

That said, the two countries are far too different to really compare in a meaningful way.

So would that be "Yes, communism is terrible and I'm sending back the money!" or is it "I'm keeping my communist money from the government!"
?
It's "It's the government's fault that I don't have money so I expect the government to give me money but in 2-3 months when someone else blames their economic circumstances on the government, I will conveniently forget this chapter of my life and return to the mantra of personal responsibility and savings rates."

We'll have to wait and see. I've said it many times before, but it's all to easy to take the "compassionate" route, as you chill at home getting your government checks. When the money runs out, and the banks start to come a knockin' to take your shit, let's see how "compassionate" people are then.

This. It's definitely a mixed bag. You want this virus to be contained and to keep people safe, but at the same time, less than 1% of the country is going to die from this and once you no longer have money to pay bills, desperation will start.

Though I find it weird that it seems to be the leftists in this forum that are willing to take it up the ass from the government, no questions asked about stay at home orders. I'm guessing it's because they still have their jobs and money is still coming in. I'll check back with them in a few months when their money is gone.

What data are you using for that. Sweden has a 10% death rate which is much higher than ours and higher than the international average (although I'd take the international number with a grain of salt). I haven't calculated their infection rate but just off deaths, I'd say we're doing much better than them.

How big is Sweden?

It's nice that their citizens are so responsible that they follow the social distancing guidelines. I don't see that happening much here in my town.

The 'just a flu' idiots are exactly why we need government enforced lockdowns in the US.

It's "It's the government's fault that I don't have money so I expect the government to give me money but in 2-3 months when someone else blames their economic circumstances on the government, I will conveniently forget this chapter of my life and return to the mantra of personal responsibility and savings rates."
<{you!}>

That's a pretty weak backbone. I mean, was any 'profession' more doomed than driving even before covid-19?
That's just an example of this pandemic accelerating an already established trend.
How's that a weak backbone when this country relies on truckers to fill the shelves every single day? If the trucks stop so would this country.

Everyone will declare they were right no matter what, we all know that. There will never be any proof because we never saw how things would have worked if nowhere imposed any restrictions. Different countries also have very different circumstances to deal with.

I think we've largely done the right thing so far but we can't continue this full lockdown indefinitely. It's going to take some nuanced thinking - not many places will be able to just say 'fuck it, everything back to normal' without serious repercussions which would make the work done worthless. Figuring out what things can open and how they could safely operate is the way forward I think. There are going to be some level of restrictions around for some time but we need to keep the economy going as much as we safely can.

Back