Who thinks we are doing the right thing and who thinks the world is overreacting?

You don't think the rich support the shutdown? In my circles my wealthiest friends are doing just fine in their country/lake/beach houses and support the shutdown. It's my BJJ bros who are out of work and struggling.

Yep. The rich will pick up their 3rd, 4th and 5th homes for pennies on the dollar when the dust settles

Yep. The rich will pick up their 3rd, 4th and 5th homes for pennies on the dollar when the dust settles

Maybe, but those are mostly sold by other rich people. But, last week my business partners and I formed a new company. We think that a lot of smaller/medium size 2nd tier strip malls are going to be well priced. Many of those are going to see no rent for a few months and the type businesses that they lease to are not very robust.

You don't think the rich support the shutdown? In my circles my wealthiest friends are doing just fine in their country/lake/beach houses and support the shutdown. It's my BJJ bros who are out of work and struggling.

It depends on the level of rich. You are right, the ultra rich who can afford to buy distressed assets and could ride out a down turn for 100 years absolutely are loving this.
The "rich" guy who owns a local construction business and has 1,000,000 in revenue a year and laid off 95% of his staff in the hopes of surviving this probably isn't as excited.
And when this is all over, when we tax the "rich", which one of those two examples will end up paying?

Maybe, but those are mostly sold by other rich people. But, last week my business partners and I formed a new company. We think that a lot of smaller/medium size 2nd tier strip malls are going to be well priced. Many of those are going to see no rent for a few months and the type businesses that they lease to are not very robust.

I live in an area where most homes are between 1 to 3 million. And there are very few rich folks around here.

I think the fact that we dont know means we should be doing social distancing. When we understand the actual infection and death rates we will be able to make better determinations about the future.
It sucks though for everybody.

Oil down anOther 40% today. Below 11 a barrel

There are signs we are about to experience something that will make the Great Depression look like the Roaring Twenties.

Seriously, this has the possibility of being so bad people might beg for the COVID

Sometimes good intentions have horrible disastrous consequences

Edit: oil down 75%. 4 and a half bucks.

WE ARE FUCKED

Edit of edit. 3.80 a barrel

Edit of edit of edit. Looks to be a contract thing. June contracts not cratering near as much.

This could still translate to many more lost jobs.

The only industries and business that will suffer long term harm have additional, underlying issues in the first place. This is just helping them along to the inevitable.

In case you missed the connection: that's identical logic to those that are dismissive of the deaths this disease is causing.

I live in an area where most homes are between 1 to 3 million. And there are very few rich folks around here.

Is that primarily people whose home appreciated dramatically since they bought them?

It depends on the level of rich. You are right, the ultra rich who can afford to buy distressed assets and could ride out a down turn for 100 years absolutely are loving this.
The "rich" guy who owns a local construction business and has 1,000,000 in revenue a year and laid off 95% of his staff in the hopes of surviving this probably isn't as excited.
And when this is all over, when we tax the "rich", which one of those two examples will end up paying?

Nobody with over $10 million is assets pays any meaningful taxes.

That said $1,000,000 in revenue is still considered a small business. Heck even the local taco shop down the street from me is doing $1.5 million year in revenue. Those people are the people who will end up paying as well as employees making between $60k and $120k a year I think.

Back