Who lost that aura of 'champion' most?

How am I pissing on Gus? Gus was great enough to make Jones look average. Quit being so sensitive. Jones looked like a normal human being, before that fight, he was looked at as a god among men by some people here on Sherdog.

If anything I think you are trying to say Jones looked beatable, not average. Average fighter is like saying Jones looked like Clay Guida. He most certainly did not. Guida or any average fighter could not be in or fight like that on his best day.

How am I pissing on Gus? Gus was great enough to make Jones look average. Quit being so sensitive. Jones looked like a normal human being, before that fight, he was looked at as a god among men by some people here on Sherdog.

Which again, makes those people stupid, not Jones average.

If anything I think you are trying to say Jones looked beatable, not average. Average fighter is like saying Jones looked like Clay Guida. He most certainly did not.

Which again, makes those people stupid, not Jones average.

Yeah, I rephrased it after noticing you didn't understand what I mean't. Like I said, Gus made him look average. Gus made him look beatable, taking away his aura of invincibility.

Yeah, I rephrased it after noticing you didn't understand what I mean't. Like I said, Gus made him look average. Gus made him look beatable, taking away his aura of invincibility.

Thank you :) Not many people on here like to re-phrase. Good on ya!

I think your answer was phenomenal and your explanation was intelligent. In no way is your opinion laughable.

Aside from Jones' "unbeatable aura" being taken down a notch by Gus, I gotta say Machida being beaten by Shogun. After their fight, Machida suffered more losses, adding to the view that the 'puzzle' has been 'solved'. Still like his style of fighting though.

Machida after the 1st Shogun Fight , that was supposed to be the first dominant defense in the "Machida Era " , that didn't happen as Shogun although losing the decision showed that Machida's puzzle could be solved.

Yeah everyone was entranced with the "Machida Aura" until he 1st fought with Shogun. Totally agreed...

Inside the UFC and facing 'top talent' (not so much for Anderson), Jones and Anderson had the most aura of being 'invincible'. GSP still has this, but it's a second wind, since we've seen him lose in the UFC before (to Hughes and Serra after GSP just became champ). However, certainly nothing wrong with a second wind that's lasted so damn long and against actual top-level competition.

Anderson fought Weidman and got buried. Jones fought a Viking and got smashed. Jones even wore a "Not Quite Human" shirt into the cage against Alex. That's just priceless. :icon_lol:

Inside the UFC and facing 'top talent' (not so much for Anderson), Jones and Anderson had the most aura of being 'invincible'. GSP still has this, but it's a second wind, since we've seen him lose in the UFC before (to Hughes and Serra after GSP just became champ). However, certainly nothing wrong with a second wind that's lasted so damn long and against actual top-level competition.

Anderson fought Weidman and got buried. Jones fought a Viking and got smashed. Jones even wore a "Not Quite Human" shirt into the cage against Alex. That's just priceless. :icon_lol:

GSP's losses were 1) when he wasn't as experienced as he is now and 2) a fluke loss. He built up his aura after that. Fedor also had one loss before his massive win streak, Silva had lost multiple times before.

GSP's losses were 1) when he wasn't as experienced as he is now and 2) a fluke loss. He built up his aura after that. Fedor also had one loss before his massive win streak, Silva had lost multiple times before.

You should check out Jack Slack's article on GSP. I thought the Serra loss was a fluke too until I read this. If you are't familiar with Jack Slack, he wrote a similar article about Anderson Silva and his advice against Silva was to double up strikes with the same hand to force Silva into range of your other hand. That happened to be exactly what Weidman did to stun Silva on the feet. Very intelligent writer.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/11/...ndit-jack-slack-killing-the-king-mma-analysis

GSP lost. Period. I don't care how he lost, if it was a fluke, whatever. He LOST. He has no 'aura of invincibility'. Some of you are trying desperately in every thread you make to nullify the fact that he lost. I don't care what he's done after the LOSS, he still lost and he is not invincible because he lost. Stop trying to erase a loss that cannot be erased. No matter how many times you win after you lose, or how convincingly you do it, it still doesn't take away from the fact that you lost. It's as simple as that.

Cruz doesn't feel like a champ to me anymore. It sucks, but he should have been stripped a year ago.
I hope he comes back strong and does his thing, but Renan has defended his belt as much in the UFC as Cruz has now. So even if they never fight, in my eyes, they're equals as champion at this point.

I guess Crocop was never a champ, but the UFC newbs have no respect for him at all. His stature fell a long way.

BJ Penn - everyone, including me, thought he was untouchable and invincible after the Diego Sanchez fight and thought no one was a challenge. They ever named the next event he fought at, "UFC 112: Invincible".
Honourable mentions:
Machida era - Man I remember the hype this got but I so believed it. I like Shogun but I wish he never fought Machida at that time. The era would have lasted longer.
Tito Ortiz - What else to say? He was the longest serving LHW champion.
Matt Hughes - second most dominant WW in UFC history. He was unbeatable.

Last edited:
never really thought of bendo as the champ. always thought of him as a guy who had judges hand him razor close decisions and he was about to lose his belt on any given fight

hes still a top LW but i just dont think hes better than pettis, edgar, and gil. maynard would be a terrible match up for him and grant might give him problems also. i dont think you can compile a realistic list of guys who could have beat the champ or be extremely competitive with them other than LW at that time

Back