Who lost that aura of 'champion' most?

FistofIce**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When a certain fighter is on top of the world in one division or another for more than a fight or two, there is this feeling around a such fighter that makes fans feel as though that man is better than anybody in his weight class and no one can beat him on any given day unless unthinkable happens.

I was just thinking about MMA-related things, and this thought just popped in my mind and figured I'd make a thread about it and see what people felt about it or agree with me or completely saw it the other way.

A while ago, BJ Penn was thought to be literally a 'prodigy', a man who gained his BJJ belt in a short time window, winner of the prestigious Mundials,, thought to have the best hands in LW and perhaps in MMA, backed up by some comments Freddie Roach himself made when he coached him briefly, appeared to have this out-of-this-world takedown defense on top of jaw-dropping flexibility and god-given talent which seemed unfair to have been bestowed on one man.

Then, GSP happened in a second fight, since the first fight was rather close. Nick Diaz happened. Edgar happened. Then, it was capped off by the humiliating defeat to Rory Macdonald. Then, BJ just became this guy who just wasn't motivated enough to really come through. I think it's one of the ridiculous excuses that people come up with however. Is it as good as winning as long as someone wasn't motivated, and may have won if he tried little bit harder?

Someone might say Fedor, but he really never lost it in my eyes. He got caught by Werdum, but even Marcelo gets caught in triangle by someone lesser than Werdum. The way Hendo hurt Fedor, I do not think it will/did happen in a million MMA fights. And both of them was dropped to the ground by Fedor. And, he was stopped by Bigfoot by the doctor stoppage, so ' technically he didn't really lose and could've done his Fedor magic', to sort of quote that one of two Gracies who does breakdowns of BJJ in MMA fights. Not to cheapen their wins, because win is a win, a valuable win, which pushed them to great heights after the win, just explaining why it did not lessen anything for Fedor in anyway in my eyes.

BJ after that second Edgar fight. It was just so sudden. He clearly should've gotten the nod in the first fight despite a somewhat lacklustre performance, most people (including me) was expecting BJ to come out and bust Frankie this time but he got smashed so unbelievably hard it really just wiped away his status as a LW.

Just look around, there are so many people don't think BJ would even be competitive in today's LW division.

Machida after the 1st Shogun Fight , that was supposed to be the first dominant defense in the "Machida Era " , that didn't happen as Shogun although losing the decision showed that Machida's puzzle could be solved.

BJ after that second Edgar fight. It was just so sudden. He clearly should've gotten the nod in the first fight despite a somewhat lacklustre performance, most people (including me) was expecting BJ to come out and bust Frankie this time but he got smashed so unbelievably hard it really just wiped away his status as a LW.

Just look around, there are so many people don't think BJ would even be competitive in today's LW division.

I agree with this. It seems like the first loss (robbery) to Edgar (50-45 really???) was the end of Motivated/Marinovich/To The Death BJ.

Machida after the 1st Shogun Fight , that was supposed to be the first dominant defense in the "Machida Era " , that didn't happen as Shogun although losing the decision showed that Machida's puzzle could be solved.

Machida vs Shogun was the down point for both fighters IMO

I'd have to agree. Although I'm one of the very few who agreed with the judges decision prior to that fight Machida already was seen as the future GOAT. He had already tied the LHW record for consecutive victories, had never lost a round and his previous two wins were brutal first round KO's of other then unbeaten LHW phenoms in Thiago Silva and Rashad. Rua shattered all of that by winning two rounds and actually hurting Machida.

Jones, everybody thought he was a world beater, and he looked average against someone with around the same height and build.

Machida losing to SHogun twice

Guy just runs away from real fighters and drinks his own piss. Id say hes like an animal, but animals dont even drink there own piss.

Jones, everybody thought he was a world beater, and he looked average against someone with around the same height and build.

Really? Guy who was actually in a fight, took a hell of a beating and kept coming looked average? Dude looked like a warrior. So many people would have taken the easy why out when the doctor wanted to stop it but he begged him to let him continue.

Just because he fought someone with an equal/comparable skill sets does not make him average. If anything, it makes Gus a fucking warrior too.

"Welcome to the Machida Era"

---doesn't convincingly defend his belt once

Wow youre delusional. You really think you can rationalize 3 stoppage losses in a row for fedor? He definitely lost it and the writing was on the wall in the fights leading up to his losses.

Really? Guy who was actually in a fight, took a hell of a beating and kept coming looked average? Dude looked like a warrior. So many people would have taken the easy why out when the doctor wanted to stop it but he begged him to let him continue.

Just because he fought someone with an equal/comparable skill sets does not make him average. If anything, it makes Gus a fucking warrior too.

Yes, he looked average compared to how he usually destroys his opponents. He fought like a warrior, I agree, but he looked average compared to his usual self. IMO

Yes, he looked average compared to how he usually destroys his opponents.
You don't think that is more of an indicator of a spoiled audience with unrealistic expectations rather then his performance? Nevermind that you're pissing on Gustafsson.

Yes, he looked average compared to how he usually destroys his opponents. He fought like a warrior, I agree, but he looked average compared to his usual self. IMO

I hate to be a dick but your opinion is laughable, sorry.

I just don't think you are getting what average means. An average fighter would have wilted.

Did Shogun vs Dan Henderson look average? Even compared to only their own highlight videos? Never mind the streak they have been on or whatever. Compare it to that.

Machida losing to SHogun twice

Guy just runs away from real fighters and drinks his own piss. Id say hes like an animal, but animals dont even drink there own piss.

Lol. I like Machida, but the whole piss thing is a little weird admittedly. If God himself came down and said I could be a world champion if I drank my own piss every day, I would just say "nah, I'm good." At least he's dedicated haha. Hope he is getting some benefit from it. The thought that someone drinks their own piss with no benefit is too sad for words.

You don't think that is more of an indicator of a spoiled audience with unrealistic expectations rather then his performance? Nevermind that you're pissing on Gustafsson.

How am I pissing on Gus? Gus was great enough to make Jones look average. Quit being so sensitive. Jones looked like a normal human being, before that fight, he was looked at as a god among men by some people here on Sherdog.

Yes, thank you!

It's like saying Gus only did as good as he did because Jones was an average fighter. Dude is Champion of the world and destroys everyone. But, Gus is a beast and as good or better than Jones (Maybe on another night).

This just makes both of them World Class.

I hate to be a dick but your opinion is laughable, sorry.

I just don't think you are getting what average means. An average fighter would have wilted.

Did Shogun vs Dan Henderson look average? Even compared to only their own highlight videos? Never mind the streak they have been on or whatever. Compare it to that.

I honestly don't care if you found it laughable, it is my opinion just like you have your own. :)

I find your example laughable. Neither had the aura of invincibility that Jones had going into his fight with Gus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back