who lifts weights and then does bjj?

JH34PG

White Belt
Reaction score
how many hours between lifting and training do you put apart?

I guess that is one way to make sure you don't use "any strength" but in real life I would do it after the fact. Grappling is hard, you need to have energy to do it and fatigue makes you lose focus. Do it after bjj or on off days.

I usually lift then do bjj two hours later. Ive had some horrible cramps in my arms both biceps and triceps when rolling though.

I do weights during BJJ-off days. Makes me stronger during sparring.

I train everyday so I don't have any off days to lift on. I normally lift around 1 and train at 8, so 6 hours in between (assuming I finish lifting at 2).

I lift right before I train. I'm a pretty strong dude, so I've picked up some bad habits. Lifting takes care of that by sapping my strength. That wasn't my original intention though. Scheduling is tough sometimes.

I lift about four days per week and I train monday-friday, sometimes saturday. it doesn't affect me too much. I just don't have as much strength as normal when rolling with people. it's not necessarily a bad thing, though.

I asked Jean Jacques this same question. Suggest mostly right before training, this way your Jiu Jitsu is at its 100%, and you strength is train. Says something like "everybody whos fresh has good jiu jitsu, then when they are tired, the real talents show themselves." not word for word, but something like that.

Ive beed doing it here and there, its hard to push yourself mentally, but ive never once regretted lifting weights after. Do both, but to test your real jiu jitsu and your ego, do it before training.

I've done it about half hour before rolling. I prefer 1-2 minimum so I can rehydrate and get some protein in though. 45 minutes or 1 hour of lifting.

I used to lift weight before BJJ. but I got armbarred so many times it was not funny at all.

Wrong forum TS. This is covered in the Strength and Conidtioning forum. Its somewhere in the FAQ I think. Basically you should try and lift on days when your not doing BJJ, but if you have/want to, do the lifting first, as this requires the most strength/energy, and separate the two by as many hours as you can.

Also what kind of lifting are you doing?

I used to lift weight before BJJ. but I got armbarred so many times it was not funny at all.

i hear ya, nobody likes hearing and explanation as to why they were able to catch you. If people start catching you enough, you might be know as "yeah ive tapped that guy out a few times" and it just wont feel good. Im all for leave your ego out the door, but if I was getting tapped by everyone during class on a daily basis i dont know if id be chanting "leave your ego out the door". but for now ill see how it goes.

I lift right before training... I've got about a 15 min break as I drive from my gym over to the academy... I do this 5 days a week. I tried lifting after training... but I couldn't do it... after training I either take an afternoon nap or I go to bed for the night...

I recently just started to lift right before BJJ; that gives me 1-1 1/2 before training.
I'm on some recovery stuff so I'm not to fatigue when I come to class but there are times I cramp during sparring, no biggie. It just takes time to get used to doing both in one day.

I try to rotate days, but sometimes ill lift at 7AM and then do BJJ at 730PM.

I try to rotate days, but sometimes ill lift at 7AM and then do BJJ at 730PM.

This. I lift 3 days a week in the morning, and train 3-4 nights a week (and both weekend mornings). I drag a little at work, but as long as I hydrate and eat enough I'm fine.

I lift before bjj
lift at like 12 - 1 around there, and start training at 6;30, from 6;30 to 7 we do a hardcore conditioning workout so it leaves me tired as fuck when we're upstairs..
i train everyday and lift 3 times a week, i dont find it that limiting while training tbh

jus tmake sure you do your legs on friday so that you have the weekend to recover, cuz if u dont your legs will be so fucked all week, giving it no time to recover. Trust me, personal experiance, i couldnt hold guard for my life, not even while drilling shit.. the worst haha

I prefer to lift first, but usually I'll have 6 or so hours in between, so I won't feel it too much when I roll.
I have done it 1-2 hours before BJJ, though, and this makes rolling very tough, but worth it at the end of the day.

Back