• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Who is the Greatest MMA fighter of all-time?

Who is the Greatest MMA fighter of all-time?

• Total voters
lol being a good guy persona doesnt mean your already the goat
we should be talking about how hard the competition
the fighters they fought

the only good names in his record is nog and cro cop
the rest is like this lmfao
i know bro no one can beat jones resume
not in this lifetime it sucks right?
View attachment 1048085

You just posted screenshot of a two-year period, where he went 11-0, with wins over Babalu, Semmy, Herring, Nog, Fujita, and Goodridge. Is that supposed to be evidence of weakness?

That’s my point. “Of all time” includes past, present, and future. People in the past like in 2009 didn’t know who Jon Jones or Khabib was. Just like people today won’t know what great fighters will come by 2040. There’s always incomplete information. So to claim something “of all time” is ignorant. A more honest and correct terminology is “greatest up to now” but I guess “GUTN” is not cool slang.

Well we can never really predict the future, so we can only go with what is today and what happened in the past. I don't have a crystal ball, I can't say what's going to happen in the next 20 years. But this is just a fun poll to see what people generally think in who is the greatest MMA fighter that we are aware of at this point.

Damn, I didn’t even notice the old stickied thread was gone.
Fedor is the GOAT.

I think there are really 3 in contention: Fedor, GSP, and Jones. For me, I can’t rank a serial PED cheat like Jones over GSP or Fedor. Now between GSP and Fedor, it’s very tough to choose. I of course go with Fedor, but nothing wrong with picking GSP. If there could be such a thing as “co-GOATs,” it would be those two.

To rank the poll options:
  1. Fedor
  2. GSP
  3. Jones
  4. Silva
  5. Mighty Mouse
  6. Aldo
  7. Khabib

@Takes Two To Tango We have 8 men’s divisions, sir :)
I don’t think anyone would really believe Dominick Cruz is the overall GOAT or anything, but it seems weird to list the GOAT of each division but skip BW.

Yeah I could put Dominick Cruz no problem my friend. : - )

fedor would always win in a poll hes a fan favorite
but if u talk who had the best resume all time
the hardest resume
who fought the most stacked division its jones

jones survived in a pre USADA era and drug testing era
meanwhile fedor started losing in a drug testing org

coincidence?

I think the bigger issue was Prides setup than PEDs if he was on them. The way Pride was set up gave champions lots of non title fights. It was a system designed to create big win streaks and big resumes for your champions that orgs set up like the UFC wouldn't have. Hence why Wandy had a similar streak on him.

Jose Aldo isn't even the best FW; that honour belongs to Max Holloway. He beat better competition by way bigger margins and has been at or near the top of a much more competitive FW division than Jose was for the past decade. He also kicked Jose's ass twice. I can break it down further if you want, but Holloway is the better FW and deserves to be mentioned in the P4P GOAT. He clearly would be too if it wasn't for those damn Volk fights (the second of which was a pick 'em). And then when you look at Volk's resume things can get a little murkier still.

But Jose is not the FW GOAT. I hold steady to that.

Jose Aldo isn't even the best FW; that honour belongs to Max Holloway. He beat better competition by way bigger margins and has been at or near the top of a much more competitive FW division than Jose was for the past decade. He also kicked Jose's ass twice. I can break it down further if you want, but Holloway is the better FW and deserves to be mentioned in the P4P GOAT. He clearly would be too if it wasn't for those damn Volk fights (the second of which was a pick 'em). And then when you look at Volk's resume things can get a little murkier still.

But Jose is not the FW GOAT. I hold steady to that.

Who's your top 3 FW fighters?

Khabib for me very clearly. No issues, no losses, not even really any adversity. Cleaned out his division and shut it down. Still to this day, after years of retirement, the same contenders he shut down, issueless, rule over the class.
Yeah, some fair points but I would disagree that Gaethje and Poirier, his two best wins, are still ruling over the LW division. Names like Barboza, Johnson, RDA, Poirier, McGregor and Gaethje are impressive ones to have and the dominant way in which he beat them needs to be considered too. Retiring without a blemish is unheard of in MMA too, even if he should have an L on his record from that Tibau fight (and he should).

You're overlooking the eye pokes, the cherry picking of fights, the rules the UFC has bent or broken for Jones and the mysterious lay-off that ended when Francis left. Jones has single-handedly turned the HW division into a joke.

It's a lot more than the PEDs that prevent us from calling him the GOAT.

Eye pokes is a fair critique, but I don't agree with the cherry picking claim. The guy cleaned out the LHW division like 3 times In a row and fought all #1 contenders

images
images
1hzQy2fGoZD-JVJoxOpcznLL9BncYVcpTT-tdIk28-M.jpg
Sakuraba-and-Minowa.jpg

saku-rickson1.jpg

That’s a very valid pick, but didn’t that thread get started right after he beat Bisping? I was always interested to see how people would rank the GOATs once we had little more distance from them. Sherdog gets bad recency bias.
I really don't care who anyone picks anymore, as long as their pick is between Fedor, GSP, Jones and Silva

Back